Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

sat last night and watched the U20 game between Clare and Tipp on TG4. couldn't help but think we would of been well off the pace for that standard.

You would have to wonder what they are doing at training from underage to have them moving the ball about like that. Some of it is fairly loose and they over pass the ball at times but they are always looking for a pass and then moving again wanting another pass - almost like football at times.

On another note it was nice to see our highlights make it on tv last night - at the end of the show after the minor hurling games and all the football matches. Lip service as always towards the lower tiers
hurl like f**k boi!

johnnycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 20, 2020, 10:05:44 AM
sat last night and watched the U20 game between Clare and Tipp on TG4. couldn't help but think we would of been well off the pace for that standard.

You would have to wonder what they are doing at training from underage to have them moving the ball about like that. Some of it is fairly loose and they over pass the ball at times but they are always looking for a pass and then moving again wanting another pass - almost like football at times.

On another note it was nice to see our highlights make it on tv last night - at the end of the show after the minor hurling games and all the football matches. Lip service as always towards the lower tiers

I have to say I was very impressed by an U12 Dunloy team we'd down at a tournament last year, their first instinct was to look for the pass, what I'd call heads up hurling. It didn't always work for them but the Dunloy management not once scolded any of the wee lads when they made a mistake. They got beat by Ballycastle in the final but IMO the better style of hurling was Dunloys and will stand by them as they develop through the years.

imtommygunn

DR I always thought we competed up until U14 level and then the southern teams would diverge from us.

The speed things are done at and the physicality just are a different level. Then when we play the teams playing at this pace we're not even thinking at that speed.

Milltown Row2

Watched the game also and spoke at length with another hurling gael during it, the Tipp lads didn't panic even though they were 4 points down at half time, came out and stuck to the game plan, intelligent ball into the wings, cross field passes and putting the ball into the forwards who could score!

The speed, touch, physicality, cuteness on the ball is so far ahead of our lads, one basic factor is probably their school hurling level is at better levels than ours.

I've seen some games and ref'd some school finals and the standard is crap to be fair, the winning teams are generally so much better, having a competitive school hurling will improve, then clubs need to be in an elite league where teams are at the same level and committed to improving their lot, away weekends in hurling heartlands is a must!

We are to busy or concerned with looking after our own club team rather than the county, been like that for years, in fairness more so county football but have seen it creep in at times in hurling, boys not talking to each other clubs staying/sitting together on the bus or after dinner meals, never passing a ball to another club man an so on...

The commitment level that Sambo and Woody put into that minor team was immense.. the kids bought into it, and we were still behind. Bridging that gap is a huge ask. competing in Leinster is important, Kildare/Carlow and Westmeath have decent teams at underage and at senior, locality and schools/college hurling is at a higher standard..

We don't put enough into school hurling. If we start at primary and continue to drive right through then you can change it, if not we are pissing against the wind
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 20, 2020, 12:37:00 PM
DR I always thought we competed up until U14 level and then the southern teams would diverge from us.

The speed things are done at and the physicality just are a different level. Then when we play the teams playing at this pace we're not even thinking at that speed.

a dozen or so years ago we'd a thing going with the Crokes in Dublin. Each year we'd send down an underage team and they'd send one up the following year, started with U12's. We gave them a right good go at it right up to U14, a few points either way then they gave us a trimming at U16 so much that we ended up just about beating their Minor B team two years later.

Similarly we'd an U10 team down with Ballyragget a few years back and they'd organised a blitz with ourselves, themselves and O'Loughlin Gaels. We beat both with the Gaels so pissed off they wanted to play us again which we did and beat them again much to their amusement. Same Ballyragget team was up in our place two years ago and beat us in a good contest.

The speed in our hurling and technique seems to go backwards at a serious rate through these formative years and something that hard to put a finger on.

Na Glinntí Glasa

i think thats the part i noted as well MR2. I was sat watching it with my dad and he was blew away at the pace they operated at throughout the game.

Some of it was careless at times but they always want to retain the possession of the ball and every single player looked at ease operating at pace and with the ball.

i then cast back to our U17 game on sat and it gave me the fear lol those lads are only two/three years ahead of them and they were miles ahead of us. I know its maybe not fair to compare apples and oranges but its hard not to compare when you see what's in front of them all.

hurl like f**k boi!

imtommygunn

The reality is the pace of the game played by the top southern teams is light years ahead of us.

I always thought mind you Dinny Cahill had us playing at a great pace. I assume the training he did was all real high paced high intensity stuff but even with half decent teams it was only with him I only ever saw us playing good high paced hurling. It wasn't quite at the level of the top boys but we gave tipp their fill of it one year and tbh but for a seriously suspect referee would have beat wexford then beat a half decent dubs side too.

ciaran1988

Well hopefully our U20s can go out tomorrow evening against Dublin and put in a better performance than what paddy power think we are capable off pricing us at 9/1

Saffrongael

A member of Antrim hurling panel has tested positive for Covid

So the player obviously didn't have symptoms until they returned on Sunday, tested on Monday and result today ??!!  ::)
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 20, 2020, 05:50:41 PM

So the player obviously didn't have symptoms until they returned on Sunday, tested on Monday and result today ??!!  ::)

Might not had symptoms but someone he was in contact with might have had it and felt obliged to get a test?

Who knows only the person tested, guess work at this stage, player or squad member?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 20, 2020, 07:08:27 PM

Might not had symptoms but someone he was in contact with might have had it and felt obliged to get a test?

Who knows only the person tested, guess work at this stage, player or squad member?

The advice if you are a close contact is to self isolate, not get tested, not that people pay any heed.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 20, 2020, 07:38:06 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 20, 2020, 07:08:27 PM

The advice if you are a close contact is to self isolate, not get tested, not that people pay any heed.

I know what the advice is... so if you know the ins and outs of it then just say? Or are you unsure of the facts and just want to start rumours?

ciaran1988

Is the match on GAAGO this weekend?

BrendanAntrim

Every match not already covered by RTE, TG4 or SKY is on GAAGO

Na Glinntí Glasa

looks like we will be missing a few lads this weekend with positive covid cases plus ones having to isolate potentially. Was always going to happen at this stage of the year and the number of case rising all the time.
hurl like f**k boi!