New Down talent.

Started by 5 Sams, October 06, 2014, 10:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Hardy

Anyone heard of what players called to trials or anything yet?

outback

All very quiet on here.  No word of the Trials at all.

SHEEDY

there has been 4 or 5 trial matches that have already taken place. all these trial games were recorded as well to be viewed again by the management. as far as I know last Saturdays trial game was the last and the panel are due to start training soon.
nil satis nisi optimum

PAULD123

How does that work for the Warrenpoint players? As they are still in the championship their players will not be in the panel. Do they get called in later?

redandblackareback

DOnt be fooled the trials are a tick box exercise and always have been, if mc curry and dawson need trials for u21 and senior after having spent the last 7/8 years in the down leagues then they shouldnt be there/. Them men know whos gonna cut the mustard and whos not. Trials are a waste of time.

outback

I agree to a certain point but they would not have seen
too many Div 2 or 3 players. There's bound to be someone or more
that will emerge from the trialling process from lower down
the Leagues. '91 was proof that there was talent  in the County apart
from Div1 players.

Town Gael

Quote from: PAULD123 on November 21, 2014, 08:38:21 AM
How does that work for the Warrenpoint players? As they are still in the championship their players will not be in the panel. Do they get called in later?
I've heard there will be some new faces from the lower leagues in the panel of 50 picked after the trials

DownFanatic

Trials are most definitely tick box exercises.
Keeps clubs happy especially the lower league clubs who always complain about lack of representation on county panels.

outback

Does your Club complain or are you one of the elite?

DownFanatic

Quote from: outback on November 21, 2014, 05:03:56 PM
Does your Club complain or are you one of the elite?

I'm from a junior club.

supersub

I heard U21 trials due to take place this weekend were called off.

SHEEDY

Quote from: supersub on November 22, 2014, 05:17:03 PM
I heard U21 trials due to take place this weekend were called off.
due to the bad weather apparently
nil satis nisi optimum

BennyHarp

I see Ross McGarry put in another man of the match performance yesterday. Looking forward to seeing if this guy can push into the Down squad.
That was never a square ball!!

PAULD123

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 01, 2014, 12:02:21 PM
I see Ross McGarry put in another man of the match performance yesterday. Looking forward to seeing if this guy can push into the Down squad.

Ross is simply outstanding at intermediate level. There is not a defender at that level in Ulster that could deal with him. However as some other people have pointed out he needs to be tested at a higher level. His superb displays have earned him that right and we are finally gong to see it. Ross certainly has the natural talent to be a county player, but being able to deal with better defenders is a new test.

What annoys me is that it's not a new thing. He was captain of a school all-Ireland winning side, he was captain and star of the minors that got to the semi-final of the All-Ireland. In one of his first games ever at senior level he smashed in 7 points. Two years ago he bagged 9 points in an Ulster final. Yet he was abandoned by the county until now.

He should have been involved in the county, being developed so that now at around 26 he would be a finished product. Instead we have lad with enormous potential reaching a peak at club level that has never worn the senior county shirt. He is effectively a raw county player, it could take two years to get the experience necessary to reach his peak at that level. It is such a waste, he should be reaching his peak as a county player now the same as he is at club level.

Brick Tamlin

Your bias knows no boundaries.