Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 13, 2019, 05:46:29 AM
Fantastic coverage of the McDonagh and Ring Cups yesterday across MSM. That Laois/Offaly game was the game of the weekend, great to see RTE give it top Billing.

Out of sight, out of mind - a sign of things to come if a second tier is introduced in football.
I was amazed that The Sunday Game did not even give the results from the Joe McDonagh, Christy Ring and Nicky Rackard cup matches.

Having said that I agree with those who propose that the Provincial Championships be played at start of year replacing O'Byrne, McKenna, McGrath and FBD.
The Provincial Championships would be just that, i.e. confined to each Province.

The League, however best restructured, becomes the Championship with all teams having some possibility of reaching Playoffs which would be knock-out.

Keyser soze

I think if they changed the name of the person the cup is named after every year it would make the 2nd tier competition that much more attractive, obviously it would need to be a significant GAA figure. 

seafoid

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 13, 2019, 12:25:18 PM
I think if they changed the name of the person the cup is named after every year it would make the 2nd tier competition that much more attractive, obviously it would need to be a significant GAA figure.
Larry Reilly
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

westbound

Quote from: Rossfan on May 13, 2019, 11:21:52 AM
Tipp would be tier 2 under current proposal.
The Provincials will still be with us too.

Brolly was talking about having (at least!) 3 tiers.

Rossfan

I'm talking about the real proposals which the Central Council and the Div3/4 Counties have been discussing.

Most Counties already have 3 tier Club Championships.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

ask the McDonagh, formerly Christy Ring counties what they think of the setup?
less and less coverage every year

LeoMc

Why is so much emphasis being placed on the number of minutes of coverage on the Sunday game.
If there was an interest they would show it. Attendances would be a reflection of the interest.

Which is more important, realistic competition or a couple of minutes of talking Brollix.

befair

2 tiers would be enough; play both finals on the same day, and move the minor final. It would give the lesser counties a realistic goal. The same could be done for hurling BTW

Esmarelda

Quote from: LeoMc on May 13, 2019, 02:50:20 PM
Why is so much emphasis being placed on the number of minutes of coverage on the Sunday game.
If there was an interest they would show it. Attendances would be a reflection of the interest.

Which is more important, realistic competition or a couple of minutes of talking Brollix.
Leo, I think the point is that in the current system, each team has a chance, no matter how small, of a bit of exposure should they cause an upset or even just get a bit of a run in the qualifiers.

Teams not on the telly now get on the telly and everyone in that county gets a little bit more excited.

The prediction is that unless your county makes the B final that this excitement won't occur and we all need a little excitement in our lives every now and again.

Rossfan

I was so looking forward to the highlights of Longford v Warwickshire......

five points

Quote from: befair on May 13, 2019, 02:52:37 PM
2 tiers would be enough; play both finals on the same day, and move the minor final. It would give the lesser counties a realistic goal. The same could be done for hurling BTW

They'll never move the minor final, because that would impact the strongest counties.

They've had 14 years to do it for hurling since the Christy Ring Cup was started and they never bothered.

Rossfan

How many sacred cows will have to forego their AI Final tickets if you had the Tier 2 Final on with the Senior?
Or do ye suggest only giving the Tier 2 finalists the same 1500 or allocation the Minors get?

BennyCake

2 tiers me hole.

Roscommon were a div 1 team in 2018 (or promoted anyway), tanked by Dublin and Tyrone in Super 8. They are also Div 1 teams. Div 1 Kerry also tanked  Div 1 Kildare.

If Div 1 teams are tanking other Div 1 teams, then of course Div 1 teams will tank Div 3/4 teams.

trailer

We definitely need a special tier for London, New York and Modor (Armagh).