Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Gnevin

Quote from: Gnevin on May 26, 2009, 12:39:51 PM
Quote from: Orior on May 26, 2009, 08:59:04 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on May 26, 2009, 12:29:42 AM
Quote from: Orior on May 25, 2009, 10:40:10 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on May 25, 2009, 10:27:36 PM
Quote from: Orior on May 25, 2009, 10:08:48 PM
I served as an alterboy for 5 years.

I went to St Colmans College for 7 years.

I was never abused (probably related to the fact that I'm an ugly hoor).

Should I be upset that I wasnt abused? Hell, now I'm gonna miss out on the big pay-out. It aint fair. Justice for all. Shame!
Are you disagreeing with the concept of the abused getting compensation to help with with the suffering and pain the church caused them?

Yes.
New low for the GAA board

So exactly will money help ease the pain and suffering? Explain.

In the same way as if some one crashed in too your car and destroyed your leg.  If this happened would you claim compensation?

Well Orior ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Orior on May 26, 2009, 05:01:16 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 26, 2009, 04:50:01 PM
I heard on the radio that there was a nun in full attire collecting for the Sisters of (no) Mercy in Cork city on Saturday. Typical denial and arrogance as they were the worst perpetrators

Are you serious? Baby, bath water!

Some things are so broken they can't be fixed
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2009, 05:11:18 PM
I heard on the radio that there was a nun in full attire collecting for the Sisters of (no) Mercy in Cork city on Saturday. Typical denial and arrogance as they were the worst perpetrators

Seriously though, how far do you take this ?

Do you stop going to chapel ?

Do you change religion ?

Do you stop putting money in the envelope ?

Where does it end ?

I wouldn't give the church 1 pence of my money... are you for real?

orangeman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 26, 2009, 05:45:48 PM

Do you change religion ?

Where does it end ?

Stupid question maybe, but why not ?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2009, 06:00:03 PM

Do you change religion ?

Where does it end ?

They have more money than I have. Work all week to throw money to that shower!  Yeah-stupid question...

orangeman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 26, 2009, 06:13:51 PM

Do you change religion ?

Where does it end ?

They have more money than I have. Work all week to throw money to that shower!  Yeah-stupid question...

I knew it was a stupid question. But do you not feel obliged to contribute financially to your religion and the maintenance of it ? Bible says we should pay tithes - i.e 10% of our gross income to the church.

longrunsthefox

I'll take my chances and explain to God when I meet him  ;D 

orangeman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 26, 2009, 06:22:31 PM

Put in a good word for me too  !!  ;)

Gnevin

Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2009, 06:17:56 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 26, 2009, 06:13:51 PM

Do you change religion ?

Where does it end ?

I knew it was a stupid question. But do you not feel obliged to contribute financially to your religion and the maintenance of it ? Bible says we should pay tithes - i.e 10% of our gross income to the church.

Bible says alot of things. Do you eat shellfish or pork etc. etc.?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2009, 06:23:57 PM

I knew you were winding me up  :P

orangeman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 26, 2009, 06:28:27 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2009, 06:23:57 PM

I knew you were winding me up  :P

Both of us beyond redemption !!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 26, 2009, 02:13:55 PM
Questions and Answers, May 25th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jHqndf9Kx4

Maybe the commission in itself is out of kilter, regardless of who's stumping up the bills.

One very brave and eloquent man.

Christ, very brave men. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

orangeman

I watched that video of last night's Question and Answers again. That man is one courageous man. Fair play.

Remember Wexford !!!!!!!!!!!! What was that about ???????????

The Boy Wonder

I've only read the first page or two here so am not responding to any post in particular. Just to say that I'm appalled at the anti-Church frenzy in the media.

There is no denying the in-human treatment and abuse that occurred but there are other scandals growing out of this: 
1) the totally unjust way that the clergy in general and religious institutions are being portrayed on radio, tv and papers
2) the lack of acknowledgement of the positive role that the majority of clergy & religious bodies have played and continue to play in eduacaion, health etc.
3) the lack of any reasonable explanation as to the enormous cost of the enquiries and redress.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on May 27, 2009, 12:05:06 AM
I've only read the first page or two here so am not responding to any post in particular. Just to say that I'm appalled at the anti-Church frenzy in the media.

There is no denying the in-human treatment and abuse that occurred but there are other scandals growing out of this: 
1) the totally unjust way that the clergy in general and religious institutions are being portrayed on radio, tv and papers
2) the lack of acknowledgement of the positive role that the majority of clergy & religious bodies have played and continue to play in eduacaion, health etc.
3) the lack of any reasonable explanation as to the enormous cost of the enquiries and redress.

1) You can't be serious - they abused, raped and destroyed the lives of 1000's when the were only kids. The report said the abuse was endemic - look it up in a dictionary if you can't comprehend. They then covered it up and obstructed the enquiry. They deserve every bit of negative reporting they get.
2) There has been some good work done but their name is dirt now due to pt 1 above and until they fix what they've done in a serious and sincere way then why should we think about the good they've done.
3) Again, are you serious. Are you saying we should let justice fall by the way side cos its too much hassle and money to get to the truth. Cop yourself on.