Removal of Gaza flag in Croke Park!

Started by Aoise, August 04, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowling

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 10, 2014, 08:45:06 PM
Quote from: dowling on August 10, 2014, 08:20:00 PM
Well Benny you've a fair point about what has happened at home although the scale of things are slightly different. I would say if you trawled the threads you will find expressed discontent about all that. What was done and what could have been done are different matters.

As for what a display of support or solidarity by waving a flag does?
Well say you're somewhere and there's a collection for a good cause but all you have is one euro in your pocket. And you want to donate, but like it's only one euro.
Do you decide one euro wont amount to anything and not bother donating or do you think, 'feck I know it's only one euro but if there is maybe a thousand people with one euro they're prepared to give away, well, it all adds up'?

The flags don't all add up to make any real difference though - money does. All I found that happened this week that the flag issue was all about whether the GAA should or shouldn't have let the banners be shown and whether or not Sky told them to take it down. The message about Gaza was nearly lost in the internal argument we were having at home. Which, to me, does no good to the cause at all, other than to have us bickering amongst ourselves. There is some great work being done to highlight the plight in Gaza and show the solidarity the Irish people have with the Palastinian people, none more so than our own Give her Dixie who I have massive respect for, but once again we manage to get bogged down in a flag issue which we put far too much importance on.

Actually that was what the thread was about. The debate widened as to whether it was a humanitarian or political issue. But I get what you mean about the crux of the matter sometimes being lost. I've no doubt however that Aoise's initiative and the debate here, and with the wider coverage it has received, will have helped raise awareness so that so many more people will be giving that spare euro or more. You must have gone into some of the links put up on this thread and the Palestinian thread which surely would have helped your understanding of the situation in Gaza. I know it improved mine.

give her dixie

Check out this video from yesterday as the Gardi start to take down an Armagh Gaza banner cable tied to the railings

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1467956863453501&set=o.305563316286941&type=2&theater
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Aoise

Quote from: dowling on August 10, 2014, 09:31:15 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 10, 2014, 08:45:06 PM
Quote from: dowling on August 10, 2014, 08:20:00 PM
Well Benny you've a fair point about what has happened at home although the scale of things are slightly different. I would say if you trawled the threads you will find expressed discontent about all that. What was done and what could have been done are different matters.

As for what a display of support or solidarity by waving a flag does?
Well say you're somewhere and there's a collection for a good cause but all you have is one euro in your pocket. And you want to donate, but like it's only one euro.
Do you decide one euro wont amount to anything and not bother donating or do you think, 'feck I know it's only one euro but if there is maybe a thousand people with one euro they're prepared to give away, well, it all adds up'?

The flags don't all add up to make any real difference though - money does. All I found that happened this week that the flag issue was all about whether the GAA should or shouldn't have let the banners be shown and whether or not Sky told them to take it down. The message about Gaza was nearly lost in the internal argument we were having at home. Which, to me, does no good to the cause at all, other than to have us bickering amongst ourselves. There is some great work being done to highlight the plight in Gaza and show the solidarity the Irish people have with the Palastinian people, none more so than our own Give her Dixie who I have massive respect for, but once again we manage to get bogged down in a flag issue which we put far too much importance on.

Actually that was what the thread was about. The debate widened as to whether it was a humanitarian or political issue. But I get what you mean about the crux of the matter sometimes being lost. I've no doubt however that Aoise's initiative and the debate here, and with the wider coverage it has received, will have helped raise awareness so that so many more people will be giving that spare euro or more. You must have gone into some of the links put up on this thread and the Palestinian thread which surely would have helped your understanding of the situation in Gaza. I know it improved mine.

Thanks for that Dowling.  Hearing you say that makes it worthwhile.  This issue has to stay on the agenda - it just has to!

Wildweasel74

well if they taking down flags etc making statements how come the John 3.11 (is it) was allows in the hill 16 for donkeys and never challenged

Aoise

Quote from: BennyCake on August 10, 2014, 07:52:25 PM
The flag thing is pointless in my opinion, but if people choose to participate, that's their choice. Yes, it's shocking what's happening but a few flag waving ain't going to stop it.

But it always baffles me why Irish people look further afield when there are things happening in their own country that's should be highlighted. Countless things during the recession, bailouts, taxes, charges, cuts, bankers, the Sean Quinn situation etc. there was the South Africa thing in the 80s when things closer to home needed hughlighting more, particularly in the North.

Totally take your point and to be honest this was one of the reasons why the flag yesterday was important.  Apart from other things it was a small act to symbolise the power of individual people against those who wish to silence them, granted this needs bigger numbers but it has to start somewhere.  Not against the GAA but the Government.  I and others just felt that with the protests happening outside the Government could continue to ignore them as the media are just system puppets but inside Croke Park, where major numbers would be watching and with the possibility of Government members in attendance, that maybe they could squirm a bit more than they have been doing.  The pressure needs to be on Governments and the only thing that can do that are the people!  Which leads onto your point about Irish apathy. 
There has been a trend in this country now for decades that lets those in authority do anything they want to them.  What does it take to let people see that if they wake up, there's more in their control than they think.  I just don't know how that level of courage is going to be achieved.  But if flying a flag is a small gesture of defiance to kickstart that courage, then I hope more people continue with it.  The major issue at the minute for me though is Palestine so I hope Croke Park sees more flags as the championship continues even though Armagh aren't there. Good luck to anyone who wants to.

dowling

No Aoise, in all sincerity, thank you.

I've no doubt your initiative has greatly impacted in many ways.

Maybe we'll see a few flags showing solidarity at the Fleadh Cheoil in Sligo.

Aoise

Quote from: dowling on August 10, 2014, 10:44:50 PM

No doubt Dowling.  Me and mine will be there.  ;)

Eamonnca1

Would Cork fans please stop flying those bloody redneck confederate flags?

Thanks.

southdown

I saw lots of flags on the Hill, there was about 4 clearly visible on the TC cameras during the Dublin game.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Aoise on August 10, 2014, 11:05:01 PM

You'll all be most welcome and there won't be a SKY camera in sight please God. Great buzz about the place.

Hardy

Quote from: give her dixie on August 10, 2014, 10:10:19 PM
Check out this video from yesterday as the Gardi start to take down an Armagh Gaza banner cable tied to the railings

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1467956863453501&set=o.305563316286941&type=2&theater

That's very funny. What happened there?

Hardy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 10, 2014, 10:31:05 PM
well if they taking down flags etc making statements how come the John 3.11 (is it) was allows in the hill 16 for donkeys and never challenged

I saw a John 3:16 at the PGA golf last night. Don't think it was our fella - looked younger. I always thought it was a one-man campaign. Has he gone global?

imtommygunn

It's John 3:7

"Ye must be born again"

I only know that because I saw it on a gospel hall somewhere...

Hardy

I hope I never have to give evidence in a murder trial. "Don't mind anything I say, yer honour. I've been looking at John 3:7 for twenty five years and I thought it was 3:16."

Nigel White

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 11, 2014, 09:16:26 AM
Quote from: Aoise on August 10, 2014, 11:05:01 PM

You'll all be most welcome and there won't be a SKY camera in sight please God. Great buzz about the place.
Heading over today. Caravan booked in at Rugby Club. Can't wait