Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 25, 2019, 09:04:07 AM
What I like is that there seems to be progression all the time with this side. Initially we had the reversion to the right values in terms of attacking versus the turgid "don't make a mistake" rubbish under the previous coach. Then in time you could see the emergence of some really good tactical planning and execution. More recently it has been dare I say it defensive solidity and yesterday was the best display of fight I've seen from United in a long time. Delighted for Shaw who has had his ups and downs - had Salah in his pocket today. Pogba really got dug in and made some great blocks and interceptions....not his usual but it was needed today. Thought United had the better chances and should possibly have nicked it.

As for Liverpool - they're not playing at all well. Nowhere near the side they were pre Christmas. Milner and possibly Henderson (his nobbling of Rashford had all the hallmarks of being pre planned) should have been sent off as well (very favourable refereeing towards them all day I thought) so they should feel very lucky. I can see why AZ said he'd be happy with the point. Can they recover and get going? The nervousness is all aorund them. Their supporters never sang all day after they disgracefully interrupted the minute's applause for Eric Harrison before kickoff.

Full agreement on the tactics, clearly learned from his mistakes from the PSG game. United have gone to Chelsea, Arsenal & Spurs and won and got a draw against Liverpool when up against it with 4 of our front 6 missing and a 5th in Rashford who really shouldn't have stayed on.

Shaw brilliant defensively, once he adds a bit more going forward which I'm sure he will United have a real top class left back. He's been really good since Ole came in. If United can beat Arsenal & Chelsea then I'd expect to finish top 4 with something to spare, hopefully some of those injuries will have cleared up by then. I'm sure Matic & Herrera will be back, not sure about how bad Herrera & Lingard are though.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 25, 2019, 10:41:11 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 25, 2019, 09:04:07 AM
What I like is that there seems to be progression all the time with this side. Initially we had the reversion to the right values in terms of attacking versus the turgid "don't make a mistake" rubbish under the previous coach. Then in time you could see the emergence of some really good tactical planning and execution. More recently it has been dare I say it defensive solidity and yesterday was the best display of fight I've seen from United in a long time. Delighted for Shaw who has had his ups and downs - had Salah in his pocket today. Pogba really got dug in and made some great blocks and interceptions....not his usual but it was needed today. Thought United had the better chances and should possibly have nicked it.

As for Liverpool - they're not playing at all well. Nowhere near the side they were pre Christmas. Milner and possibly Henderson (his nobbling of Rashford had all the hallmarks of being pre planned) should have been sent off as well (very favourable refereeing towards them all day I thought) so they should feel very lucky. I can see why AZ said he'd be happy with the point. Can they recover and get going? The nervousness is all aorund them. Their supporters never sang all day after they disgracefully interrupted the minute's applause for Eric Harrison before kickoff.

Full agreement on the tactics, clearly learned from his mistakes from the PSG game. United have gone to Chelsea, Arsenal & Spurs and won and got a draw against Liverpool when up against it with 4 of our front 6 missing and a 5th in Rashford who really shouldn't have stayed on.

Shaw brilliant defensively, once he adds a bit more going forward which I'm sure he will United have a real top class left back. He's been really good since Ole came in. If United can beat Arsenal & Chelsea then I'd expect to finish top 4 with something to spare, hopefully some of those injuries will have cleared up by then. I'm sure Matic & Herrera will be back, not sure about how bad Herrera & Lingard are though.

Ole has already said that Matic is out for number of weeks, Palace away is next and that's a tough fixture with a full strength side never mind a weakened one like United have now.  The key Arsenal game is just 13 days away and the chances of players recovering from ankle,hamstring injuries in that short space of time is slim.

trailer

Think Utd should have enough to get 4th. Chelsea have essentially given up, sacked Sarri and put Kepa in charge so they're pretty much out of it. Arsenal are now Spurs in a red kit so fully expect them to mess up. 3rd is likely given Spurs are Spurs and they seem to have rode all of their good fortune.

Liverpool are the biggest chokers since Armagh of the late 90's. Complete bottle job yesterday. No belief to go after a depleted 2nd string Utd side. No leaders and the withdrawal of Henderson showed as much. Him and Klopp gong at it Kepa - Sarri style. They don't seem to have the balls for the fight.

dublin7

Quote from: trailer on February 25, 2019, 11:17:06 AM
Think Utd should have enough to get 4th. Chelsea have essentially given up, sacked Sarri and put Kepa in charge so they're pretty much out of it. Arsenal are now Spurs in a red kit so fully expect them to mess up. 3rd is likely given Spurs are Spurs and they seem to have rode all of their good fortune.

Liverpool are the biggest chokers since Armagh of the late 90's. Complete bottle job yesterday. No belief to go after a depleted 2nd string Utd side. No leaders and the withdrawal of Henderson showed as much. Him and Klopp gong at it Kepa - Sarri style. They don't seem to have the balls for the fight.

Only 6 teams have had a higher points total than Liverpool at this stage of the season and each of them has gone on to win the league. Liverpool have lost 1 game in the league all season. To suggesat that they don't have any bottle is nonsense.

To compare Klopp/Henderson to Sarri/Kepa is so ridiculous it's actually funny. It was an awful game, but I don't remember Henderson refusing to leave the pitch or Klopp being held back from Henderson ranting with rage. I can only assume the cameras used to film the game for Dublin viewers are different to the ones used elsewhere in the country

magpie seanie

Quote from: dublin7 on February 25, 2019, 12:59:27 PM

Only 6 teams have had a higher points total than Liverpool at this stage of the season and each of them has gone on to win the league. Liverpool have lost 1 game in the league all season. To suggesat that they don't have any bottle is nonsense.

To compare Klopp/Henderson to Sarri/Kepa is so ridiculous it's actually funny. It was an awful game, but I don't remember Henderson refusing to leave the pitch or Klopp being held back from Henderson ranting with rage. I can only assume the cameras used to film the game for Dublin viewers are different to the ones used elsewhere in the country

The comparison was overstating it but it was very poor from Henderson in my opinion.

J70

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 25, 2019, 02:03:07 PM

The comparison was overstating it but it was very poor from Henderson in my opinion.

I wouldn't reach much into that. He's hardly the first player to be pissed off after coming off. He didn't fling his jersey away or kick the drinks over. They embraced immediately after anyway.

What Kepa did was unprecedented.

nrico2006

Quote from: J70 on February 25, 2019, 02:24:56 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 25, 2019, 02:03:07 PM

I wouldn't reach much into that. He's hardly the first player to be pissed off after coming off. He didn't fling his jersey away or kick the drinks over. They embraced immediately after anyway.

What Kepa did was unprecedented.

Did Messi not refuse to come off a few years back for Luis Enrique?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maroon Manc

Gomes, Garner & Chong didn't play for the u 23's last night so would expect at least one of them to be in the squad for tomorrow. Its a shame Greenwood is injured, still think he's the one most likely to make the biggest impact immediately.

Wouldn't be surprised to see United switched to a back 3 tomorrow, Ole shown he's not afraid to change formation and with all the injuries he must be tempted. Matic is already ruled out and would imagine Lingard & Herrera won't too. Mata & Rashford have to be doubtful too.

general

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 26, 2019, 10:11:48 AM
Gomes, Garner & Chong didn't play for the u 23's last night so would expect at least one of them to be in the squad for tomorrow. Its a shame Greenwood is injured, still think he's the one most likely to make the biggest impact immediately.

Wouldn't be surprised to see United switched to a back 3 tomorrow, Ole shown he's not afraid to change formation and with all the injuries he must be tempted. Matic is already ruled out and would imagine Lingard & Herrera won't too. Mata & Rashford have to be doubtful too.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-squad-chong-gomes-15887197

all 3 to be in squad for sure yeah

Over the Bar

This was a tough match on paper before the injury list. Palace beat City and will score at least one.   Ole will earn his corn tonight!

GJL

Great win normally but considering the injuries that was fantastic. Only 5 points off Spurs now!

Cunny Funt

For a injury hit team that was one of United best results of the season and a much needed win with Arsenal and Chelsea also winning. Lukaku still too bulky but stepped out with two important goals. Shaw probably MOTM again.  Sanchez,Fred passengers but at least Fred has the rusty excuse for lack of game time.

Ole has secured more points for United in just 11 league games than Jose did in 17 games this season.

Milltown Row2

Apparently the best away run of wins in Utds history
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 27, 2019, 10:19:09 PM
Apparently the best away run of wins in Utds history

First time in the history of the club they've secured 8 consecutive away wins in all competitions.

trailer

Good to see Lukaku playing well in what is hopefully an audition before he's off loaded to Palace in the summer.