Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

It may be that the UK has done us all a favour today. If this is turned into a positive, i.e. the EU has to start to engage more with the man on the street, and relax some of the Frankfurt's way stuff. Otherwise they now know that contrary to what most people believe, countries can, and will, vote to leave the club. Adapt, or die.

Walter Cronc

Lads. A border? Yes or no? If so what'll it involve? Soldiers or 'officials'

lfdown2

Surely this is disastrous for us in the north - we have 18 mp's who are split, even if we were to club together for the best of the north we would not have enough mp's to have any influence in westminister!

So no roads, hospitals, schools for the foreseeable future?

doodaa

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 24, 2016, 08:49:53 AM

Possibly a border around the whole of Ireland.
The infrastructure is there in Airports & Ports for Passport control, on the roads around the north it is not.
So anyone going into/ out of England, Scotland and Wales will require a passport.

Muck Savage

Now's the time for the Enda to go and look for a cut in some of the debt or interest rates from Brussels (Germans). Time to play poker and threaten to get out if no reduction. Might just get it!

Hound

I think there'll be willingness on both sides to leave the border as is.
Common Travel Agreement will remain. So long as Ireland doesn't join Schengen, which we won't.

My guess is there'll be a bit more security at ferry terminals on both sides, to bring it in line with the airlines.

doodaa

Quote from: Hound on June 24, 2016, 09:04:23 AM
Common Travel Agreement will remain. So long as Ireland doesn't join Schengen, which we won't.

My guess is there'll be a bit more security at ferry terminals on both sides, to bring it in line with the airlines.

I wouldn't be so sure on that, a "hard" border between north and south would suit the DUP and their supporters down to the ground.

themac_23

Quote from: doodaa on June 24, 2016, 09:12:10 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 24, 2016, 09:04:23 AM

I wouldn't be so sure on that, a "hard" border between north and south would suit the DUP and their supporters down to the ground.

So if i was polish for example i could fly to Dublin then hop on a bus to belfast no bother or border control? would kind of defeat the purpose. i would say a border is inevidable

OgraAnDun

Well there we have it. It appears most on this board (including myself) underestimated the extent of the sheer stupidity of the English public.

With the exception of North Down, every unionist area in the north voted to leave. The irony is that with Scotland voting to remain, they've managed to destroy the union they claim to represent. Hopefully we follow the same path as the Scots.

lfdown2

Speaking after the result was announced, Edwin Poots, DUP, said he was "absolutely delighted".
"I believe that we will recover very quickly after the initial shock. The farming community has been in the doldrums... I would expect this will help them. I would expect it will help our manufacturers and our exporters at this time."

Am I deluded in thinking that our goods are of too high a standard now (EU Standard) to be competitive for both exporting outside of the EU and that we will be able to import cheaper products of a lesser quality, leaving industry - whether it be agriculture or manufacturing - on its knees?

johnneycool

I'd laugh my balls off if the UK government decided that the only practical way to maintain a border would be at Stranraer, Cairnryan, Liverpool, Holyhead and the airports, that'd please Jim Allister!

As for the NHS, with this extra £350M per day, it'll be something else altogether   :o

No wides

Quote from: general_lee on June 24, 2016, 08:35:17 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on June 24, 2016, 08:31:08 AM
Quote from: general_lee on June 24, 2016, 08:20:28 AM
Sterling dropped 8.4% overnight when 1% is usually considered substantial.
Quote from: theskull1 on June 24, 2016, 08:17:21 AM
A lot of people running around yelling that the sky IS falling.

Yes
Trying to work out how much folk prophesying their own doom is actually bringing it about.
Well the top 100 companies in the UK have gone down in value by £180bn and it's not yet 9am. If anything it was the Leave campaign that was prophesying the doom!

Recovered from 8% down on the FTSE now 4% down, Japan, Europe and US stock markets all worse off today - these things will stabilize.  Don't panic!

Shamrock Shore

QuoteSo if i was polish for example i could fly to Dublin then hop on a bus to belfast no bother or border control? would kind of defeat the purpose. i would say a border is inevidable

True - but Slawomir won't get a UK NI number so he won't be able to work officially.

Applesisapples

Quote from: johnneycool on June 24, 2016, 09:18:06 AM

I'd laugh my balls off if the UK government decided that the only practical way to maintain a border would be at Stranraer, Cairnryan, Liverpool, Holyhead and the airports, that'd please Jim Allister!

As for the NHS, with this extra £350M per day, it'll be something else altogether   :o
This is exactly where they will maintain the border because it is the easiest way to secure the "mainland".

Canalman

Wow, got that terribly wrong.

Goosebumps listening to Cameron's resignation on the radio into work. Fair play to the English, there is no pussyfooting around after a political failure.

Think we in Ireland will have to have a referendum to endorse any separate secession treaty with the UK . Will give us a strong bargaining power but we need a strong leader.

Just wondering, is this the time a move will be made on EK.

GE later in the year.

Everything above probably wrong anyway as with my previous posts on this thread.