Commonwealth Games

Started by Eamonnca1, August 02, 2022, 11:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 08, 2022, 06:54:38 PM
Welcome back, EG.

How does this Commonwealth Games thing operate, then? My understanding is that most sports are governed on an all-Ireland basis.  Do the Irish federations for the likes of Cricket, Hockey, and Track-and-Field set up a special division for the CG so they can field an NI team?
Not sure about the exact process, but all-Ireland sports can choose to permit/accommodate an NI team for the CG if they choose. It's kinda easier for individual sports than team sports, since you dont want to discriminate or deny chances to the former (individuals), while the latter (teams) are maybe more sensitive because of the "representative" side of things.

Probably the most prominent sports for NI are Boxing and Bowls. For Boxing, the Ulster (9 county) Branch of the IABA is delegated the task of preparing and managing the team and tbf, they seem to embrace it completely. Dunno much about Bowls, mind, but I have a feeling it's more popular in NI than ROI? Either way, I suspect there's NI Sports Council funding in play, which may influence the governing bodies? While for the competitors themselves, it's an opportunity to compete at a decent level for those who may not be good enough to make the Olympics. Also a couple of weeks in the sun! (Last time was in Oz, next time Canada and even Brum enjoyed good weather this time).

However some other sports are much more tricky. There is no good reason imo why Rugby couldn't enter a 7's team made up of NI players, but I suspect the IRFU would explode before they allowed that.

Similarly with Hockey, NI provides more than its share of players for Ireland - and occasionally a few Olympians for the GB team - so there's no (imo good) reason why you couldn't have an NI team, but I guess it's sensitive? Ditto Cricket.

Meanwhile Netball is not administered on an all-Ireland basis, so Team NI gets an entry there.

As for Track and Field, essentially they're individuals, a mix of f-t pro, semi-pro and amateur (near enough) and organised by NI Athletics, so although there's no prize money involved, athletes really should be allowed to compete if they choose*.

On which last point I doubt any have ever declined to take part, for even if it's not near the standard of the Olympics or Worlds, it's a reasonable level and a good opportunity for them to enjoy a multi-sports Games, with all that brings for training, competition and exposure etc.

That's if you don't mind attracting a "skelp" from Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on this forum if you're from a Nationalist vackground...  :)

* - Unless they're allowing their flat to be used for dealing in drugs, that is!  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Eamonnca1

I'd imagine it'd be good prep for the Olympics all right. Would be a good way of getting athletes used to attending a major international event and all the details that they have to deal with.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2022, 07:48:27 PM
Welcome back, EG.

How does this Commonwealth Games thing operate, then? My understanding is that most sports are governed on an all-Ireland basis.  Do the Irish federations for the likes of Cricket, Hockey, and Track-and-Field set up a special division for the CG so they can field an NI team?
Not sure about the exact process, but all-Ireland sports can choose to permit/accommodate an NI team for the CG if they choose. It's kinda easier for individual sports than team sports, since you dont want to discriminate or deny chances to the former (individuals), while the latter (teams) are maybe more sensitive because of the "representative" side of things.

Probably the most prominent sports for NI are Boxing and Bowls. For Boxing, the Ulster (9 county) Branch of the IABA is delegated the task of preparing and managing the team and tbf, they seem to embrace it completely. Dunno much about Bowls, mind, but I have a feeling it's more popular in NI than ROI? Either way, I suspect there's NI Sports Council funding in play, which may influence the governing bodies? While for the competitors themselves, it's an opportunity to compete at a decent level for those who may not be good enough to make the Olympics. Also a couple of weeks in the sun! (Last time was in Oz, next time Canada and even Brum enjoyed good weather this time).

However some other sports are much more tricky. There is no good reason imo why Rugby couldn't enter a 7's team made up of NI players, but I suspect the IRFU would explode before they allowed that.

Similarly with Hockey, NI provides more than its share of players for Ireland - and occasionally a few Olympians for the GB team - so there's no (imo good) reason why you couldn't have an NI team, but I guess it's sensitive? Ditto Cricket.

Meanwhile Netball is not administered on an all-Ireland basis, so Team NI gets an entry there.

As for Track and Field, essentially they're individuals, a mix of f-t pro, semi-pro and amateur (near enough) and organised by NI Athletics, so although there's no prize money involved, athletes really should be allowed to compete if they choose*.

On which last point I doubt any have ever declined to take part, for even if it's not near the standard of the Olympics or Worlds, it's a reasonable level and a good opportunity for them to enjoy a multi-sports Games, with all that brings for training, competition and exposure etc.

That's if you don't mind attracting a "skelp" from Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on this forum if you're from a Nationalist vackground...  :)

* - Unless they're allowing their flat to be used for dealing in drugs, that is!  ;)

Who was dealing drugs? Was that an athlete?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2022, 06:33:04 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 08, 2022, 04:17:04 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2022, 04:06:30 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 08, 2022, 04:01:00 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2022, 03:16:32 PM
Meanwhile, if your argument is that no self-respecting Nationalist should be seen anywhere near an event featuring the NI flag, does that mean that you're not bothered about Unionists declining to participate in GAA events because of the presence of Tricolours and the Soldiers Song there?

Not bothered at all. I'm all for a new neutral flag.
And anthem?

You know, something like (ahem) Danny Boy?  ;)

I'm talking about in a united Ireland
So to be clear, what are your preferences for flag and anthem (a ) under the present dispensation, and (b ) in a united Ireland?

I've not really thought it through in detail . But all the current flags cause issues . Anthems as well. I have big issues with NĂ­ flag and I'm sure Unionists have similar issue with tricolour

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 09, 2022, 08:18:27 AM
Welcome back, EG.

A runner Leon Reid.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/athletics/northern-ireland-sprinter-banned-commonwealth-24472108

There must be a rule forbidding anyone who's serving a sentence, suspended or otherwise from competing.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on August 09, 2022, 08:43:19 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 09, 2022, 08:18:27 AM
Welcome back, EG.

A runner Leon Reid.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/athletics/northern-ireland-sprinter-banned-commonwealth-24472108

There must be a rule forbidding anyone who's serving a sentence, suspended or otherwise from competing.

Rightly so. Mind that story now

Evil Genius

Good girl Ciara!

"[Her] decision to stay away from the World Championships to focus on the Commonwealth Games and Europeans was fully vindicated."
https://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2022/0824/1318628-mageean-magic-inspiring-a-new-audience/
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Orior

So, the province of Victoria have told the British Empire to f-off with their Commonwealth Games.

Just like the good old empire, "common wealth" means what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine.

Should England pay for the games?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on July 19, 2023, 12:38:07 PM
So, the province of Victoria have told the British Empire to f-off with their Commonwealth Games.

Just like the good old empire, "common wealth" means what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine.

Should the tax payer pay for it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dec

Here's the plan
United Ireland as part of the Commonwealth
Ireland hosts the Commonwealth Games

Orior

Quote from: dec on July 19, 2023, 01:27:34 PM
Here's the planUnited Ireland as part of the CommonwealthIreland hosts the Commonwealth Games

That plan may lack character spacing, but does have merit.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: dec on July 19, 2023, 01:27:34 PM
Here's the planUnited Ireland as part of the CommonwealthIreland hosts the Commonwealth Games

In Casement Park!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2023, 01:01:38 PM
Quote from: Orior on July 19, 2023, 12:38:07 PM

Should the tax payer pay for it?

There's no upside. A huge number of bullshit white elephant stadia, built in shite part of town that inevitably cost far to much to build and maintain. Cities look at London, Barcelona, Athens and just think this is not worth it. Only countries who can save loads on labour and have huge amounts of petro dollars are interested in these events now.