Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Quote from: WT4E on April 18, 2023, 10:19:47 PM
We're going to draw Louth in the round Robin.... aren't we?

We all know what happens then. STG be hiding.
well  if we are afraid  of louth then we should  just pack it in now.

Under Lights

Did MH ever lose three championship games in a row for Tyrone?

sam03/05

It was a much easier backdoor system back then - often drawing a team from Div 3 in the opening round of qualifiers to get the show back on the road

trailer

Quote from: sam03/05 on April 19, 2023, 01:34:39 PM
It was a much easier backdoor system back then - often drawing a team from Div 3 in the opening round of qualifiers to get the show back on the road

Yeah, we'd draw some cannon fodder like Louth or Leitrim and get in the grove.

sam03/05

There was usually a few easy rounds in the qualifiers - so it was difficult to lose three games in a row any years, as usually there was a backdoor draw against much weaker opposition.
That situation has pretty much changed now - whereby it's mostly Div 1 and high ranking Div 2 teams that we play - so it's a much more difficult scenario.
I do remember Harry's teams going out of Ulster and then getting beat in qualifiers by Armagh - similar to last year

sam03/05

Quote from: sam03/05 on April 19, 2023, 07:03:26 PM
There was usually a few easy rounds in the qualifiers - so it was difficult to lose three games in a row any years, as usually there was a backdoor draw against much weaker opposition.
That situation has pretty much changed now - whereby it's mostly Div 1 and high ranking Div 2 teams that we play - so it's a much more difficult scenario.
I do remember those  teams going out of Ulster and then getting beat in qualifiers by Armagh - similar to last year

southtyronegael

Hartes team lost 3 championship  games in a single  season  (2018) but I'm not sure how it's relevant  now.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: Under Lights on April 19, 2023, 10:00:44 AM
Did MH ever lose three championship games in a row for Tyrone?

His final 3... 2020 Donegal 2019 Kerry 2019 Dublin

Christmas Lights

Fuzzman

Not the worst draw we could have got but Galway away on the first day out will be tough should they beat Sligo as expected.
Would prefer Armagh over Derry in our second match which I presume will be in Omagh.
Armagh have improved a lot since we beat them in the league and could give us our fill of it again.

Hard to know where this Tyrone team are coming into the new format. Most of us thinking Canavan and Dazzler looking good but the half forwards and half backs really need to get back their hunger and work rate.
We seemed to have moved away from our solid defensive style and be a lot more open, conceding easy scores but also scoring a lot ourselves. Much easier on the eye and entertaining to watch for sure but I wonder is this our new plan or are we just not showing our hand too early.

For me getting to a semi final would be a good year but based on last year and the league so far I'd say we're behind Galway, Mayo, Derry and Armagh

rrhf

I think to be honest its a very tough draw. If Galway get past Sligo then its a trip to a county that we always struggle in and against. Id have much rather played Kerry in Killarney.  If we get no points there then its a must win against Derry or Armagh and most likely Armagh to be fair. They beat us twice last year, have more of a forward ethos than in the league and will relish the opportunity to play Tyrone again.  Its at best a 50 50 chance for Tyrone.  and that is assuming Armagh take nothing off Galway which could build up to being the grudge game of the decade. Westmeath are a bit of an unknown quantity but are there on merit and could take points from either Tyrone or Armagh, but less likely from their maroon cousins.  I just think that Tyrone will really struggle in that group. I also think Derry are real contenders for Sam, they can handle everyone in their group and really seem to like each other at the moment. 

bogball88

Dont think its a 50/50 chance of getting out of the group and the second game is definitely not a must win. Only 1 team is eliminated. The only must win game to ensure you get out of the group and enter the knockout stages is the final one v Westmeath at a neutral venue

An Watcher

Probably the most important one is the second game.  Win that and we're almost guaranteed to get second.  Third placed teams will be facing the likes of mayo, roscommon or monaghan.  Second placed teams will be facing the likes of clare, louth or kildare.  If we get anything from the first game then fantastic

Redhand Santa

Definitely wouldn't want to finish third. Probably end up getting drawn away to Kerry/Mayo and even if somehow won that then you'd be looking at playing a top seed the following week.

To be honest if you lose to both Galway and a team who lose an ulster final then the chances are the season isn't going anywhere anyway. If you are serious about competing for All Ireland's you need to be heading to Galway and giving a good account of yourself and beating Armagh/Derry at home.

NotedObserver

What way will Tyrone go? Try and raise the form and confidence of a few players or put the likes of Oguz or mcglennan in?