Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on March 15, 2022, 10:45:05 AM
Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2022, 10:03:13 AM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0314/1286412-gaa-to-cover-mileage-for-four-sessions-per-week/Ryan also referenced the 2017 ESRI Report which highlighted two major concerns for players.

The first was the need for a reduction in the ratio of training versus games.

He pointed out that the move to a split season combined with the introduction of Round Robin championships have been positive moves in this context.

"The other major issue highlighted was that the time commitment issue needs to be examined to ensure that our games are played in a way that enables players to continue to enjoy them and that is not damaging to other aspects of their lives," he wrote.

One of the main reasons I like the condensed championships, one game every three weeks was allowing managers to slog their players to death over the spring and summer, now the better ones know they've a game if not weekly but with a weeks gap between them and plan accordingly with their recovery sessions and the likes.

Keeps the lunatics from having players running up hills in gutters and pushing cars round car parks.

Yeah.  My question is how fit can lads get? Surely they must get to a certain fitness level then maintain that through the season - just by playing games on a week to week basis. In the new system, this should work ok.  Previous to this, there was a gap of say 3 weeks/1 month before their next game and they were then flecced.

If you look at soccer or rugby for example, players do a pre-season and work on the fitness then just maintain it through the year by playing matches.  Obviously they still train during the week but it's more about touch, tactical plays and set pieces etc.

You would hope that no gaa players are training 5 or 6 times a week now - what's the benefit? Is it for the manager's 'benefit'?

One more thing, why are club leagues/competitions etc. starting so early?  I thought they wouldn't be starting until May/early June time now wirh the split season.  Where's the player welfare there to the club players? I mean, early season competitions e.g. Ulster League started in Feb. so lads probably training a bit before that.  Then club championship will not be until September. Is this 'new' club season really any different to the previous ones?

imtommygunn

At the higher level tactics are now a very big thing so you'd have to imagine county teams would spend lots of time preparing that kind of thing.

clarshack

Quote from: marty34 on March 15, 2022, 11:24:07 AM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0314/1286412-gaa-to-cover-mileage-for-four-sessions-per-week/Ryan also referenced the 2017 ESRI Report which highlighted two major concerns for players.

He pointed out that the move to a split season combined with the introduction of Round Robin championships have been positive moves in this context.

"The other major issue highlighted was that the time commitment issue needs to be examined to ensure that our games are played in a way that enables players to continue to enjoy them and that is not damaging to other aspects of their lives," he wrote.

One of the main reasons I like the condensed championships, one game every three weeks was allowing managers to slog their players to death over the spring and summer, now the better ones know they've a game if not weekly but with a weeks gap between them and plan accordingly with their recovery sessions and the likes.

Keeps the lunatics from having players running up hills in gutters and pushing cars round car parks.

Yeah.  My question is how fit can lads get? Surely they must get to a certain fitness level then maintain that through the season - just by playing games on a week to week basis. In the new system, this should work ok.  Previous to this, there was a gap of say 3 weeks/1 month before their next game and they were then flecced.

If you look at soccer or rugby for example, players do a pre-season and work on the fitness then just maintain it through the year by playing matches.  Obviously they still train during the week but it's more about touch, tactical plays and set pieces etc.

You would hope that no gaa players are training 5 or 6 times a week now - what's the benefit? Is it for the manager's 'benefit'?

One more thing, why are club leagues/competitions etc. starting so early?  I thought they wouldn't be starting until May/early June time now wirh the split season.  Where's the player welfare there to the club players? I mean, early season competitions e.g. Ulster League started in Feb. so lads probably training a bit before that.  Then club championship will not be until September. Is this 'new' club season really any different to the previous ones?

I thought the Ulster league started back way too soon myself as players are actually going to have even less of a break between seasons.

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on March 15, 2022, 10:54:36 AM
Doubt if any semi pros train more than twice a week with game at the weekend.
Most of them have jobs too.
As for issue at hand.... how does not talking to media further their cause?
Including gym and recovery sessions? Gonna be more than 2 sessions a week. 65c a mile for 4 sessions a week is loads though especially since most lads will car share and everyone will still claim.

Armagh18

Why would club players want to be sitting on their hole until May?

Rossfan

Finishing off their soccer season?
With the new " split season" Counties need to play their Club Leagues without Co players from 1st March to round the end if June.
July for holidays and training re integrating the County lads for Championships Aug/September.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RadioGAAGAA

There is a straightforward solution to it all, but no-one wants to talk about it never mind actually grasp the nettle.

1. All championships (both county and inter-county) revert to straight knockout. Less fixtures.
2. No inter-county squads are allowed more than 1 training session per week. If players want to go and run up hills or lift weights to their 'personalised training programs', that's their call. The "work-life" balance option is there if they choose it.
3. Inter-county managers are not allowed to prevent their players playing for their club unless the inter-county game is less than 7 days after the club game.

i usse an speelchekor

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on March 15, 2022, 11:42:04 AM
Finishing off their soccer season?
With the new " split season" Counties need to play their Club Leagues without Co players from 1st March to round the end if June.
July for holidays and training re integrating the County lads for Championships Aug/September.

Mayo's leagues don't start till June.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 15, 2022, 12:31:13 PM
There is a straightforward solution to it all, but no-one wants to talk about it never mind actually grasp the nettle.

1. All championships (both county and inter-county) revert to straight knockout. Less fixtures.
2. No inter-county squads are allowed more than 1 training session per week. If players want to go and run up hills or lift weights to their 'personalised training programs', that's their call. The "work-life" balance option is there if they choose it.
3. Inter-county managers are not allowed to prevent their players playing for their club unless the inter-county game is less than 7 days after the club game.
And the Bishop throws in the ball....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Quote from: clarshack on March 15, 2022, 11:32:29 AM

I thought the Ulster league started back way too soon myself as players are actually going to have even less of a break between seasons.

Yeah, madness and all this this talk of burn out and player welfare, yet the 'new' split club season is, in reality, no different from the old one.

Why are club players training in Feb, then playing all the way through to Sept/Oct? I see a good few games in that Ulster League have been conceded by clubs.

marty34

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 15, 2022, 11:35:37 AM

Why would club players want to be sitting on their hole until May?

Why wouldn't they? From April to championship starting in mid-September. A game every week.

There's supposed to be a split season you know or maybe you want club players fleeced from Jan - October?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on March 15, 2022, 01:01:01 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 15, 2022, 12:31:13 PM

And the Bishop throws in the ball....

Well as long as he's not throwing his ring in to be kissed  :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

befair

The absurd lengths that some counties go to mean that all counties have to do the same; it's running to stand still. Football is a hobby and only the tiniest minority will make any kind of living from it. So in their twenties, when they should be travelling the world, launching their real careers, they are instead locked into a spartan existence.
Football is a hobby.

Louther

65c a mile is a great rate and be employees/Co directors not getting it. Not even sure if revenue approved civil servant rate is higher than this. I think certain GPA learning players would be all over this and love to be getting money out if it. I would think and from talking to some that they happy with what they get.

Those not talking to the media will be running back to them soon when the championship previews are on and they looking the handouts from that.

By the way Parsons is very weak I feel making any case. His point that GAA making millions and quoting the figure is not a good look to be throwing it out in public.