James McClean

Started by thewobbler, July 19, 2015, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: deiseach on October 20, 2015, 12:43:17 PM
Whatever the nature or scale of the abuse, the principle for a professional sportsman should be that you don't react in kind. If a fist pump is acceptable, why would flicking the bird or dropping your kecks be off limits?

Because a fist pump isn't obscene.

Edit - Didn't really answer the question.

Franko

Quote from: ashman on October 20, 2015, 12:39:09 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 20, 2015, 12:29:18 PM
Quote from: deiseach on October 20, 2015, 09:37:02 AM
What is the principle at stake here? That players should be allowed wind up away fans? Yes, in an ideal world you should be able to give as good as you get, but anyone who knows their Shakespeare knows you don't hold the mob to the same standard as individuals. The same applies to the apes who confronted him, and I think McClean would be entitled to feel aggrieved that they seem to have gotten away with their behaviour. But with respect to confronting the crowd, he needs to swallow his pride.

But you are equating what they have done here Deiseach.  McClean didn't 'give as good as he got', he was subjected to sectarian and racist abuse for most of the game.  He pumped his fist.

Both.

Was the abuse racist or sectarian ????

Esmarelda

Quote from: deiseach on October 20, 2015, 01:02:04 PM
I think there's a distinction between what might be called excited gestures after a goal and post-match reactions when you are entitled to expect a cooler head. Clov is right about the manner in which the media/football commentariat is treating it though. It's sinister how Danny Graham and Lee Cattermole have gotten away with behaviour which should be a straightforward case of loss of control. No questions for Fat Sam on the behaviour of his new charges. It looks like the fact it got mentioned in the referee's report means there is no further action, but shouldn't that mean the referee erred in not giving them some kind of card?
Hardly any need for that. I'd equate that to lads shouting abuse from the stands. :P

deiseach

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 20, 2015, 02:23:35 PM
Hardly any need for that. I'd equate that to lads shouting abuse from the stands. :P

;D

mylestheslasher

I remember Ian Wright dropping his shorts in front of some abusive fans and everyone thought it was hilarious. The british soccer louts deserve to get some abuse back.

AZOffaly

David Beckham famously, (and quite rightly) gave West Hams fans the finger after they chanted sick stuff about his family. Nobody expected him to just grin and bear it.

GJL

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 20, 2015, 03:51:41 PM
David Beckham famously, (and quite rightly) gave West Hams fans the finger after they chanted sick stuff about his family. Nobody expected him to just grin and bear it.

The fact that he is Irish leaves him an easy target for the British press. The fact that he is Northern Irish leaves him a target for some on here. (which is really pathetic IMO)

laoislad

Quote from: GJL on October 20, 2015, 04:01:36 PM

The fact that he is Irish leaves him an easy target for the British press. The fact that he is Northern Irish leaves him a target for some on here. (which is really pathetic IMO)
;D
You have all the answers don't you EC Unique GJL..
Who exactly is having a go at him because he is Northern Irish..btw would McClean like to be called Northern Irish?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Maroon Manc

Disagree, if Rooney had something like that 5 years ago he'd have been hammered by the press as would Beckham in his heyday.

As for McClean the player I'm amazed he plays for a premiership club.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on October 20, 2015, 04:18:24 PM

;D
Who exactly is having a go at him because he is Northern Irish..btw would McClean like to be called Northern Irish?

rather than southern Irish? which he ain't, whether he likes it of not... The Irish passport (which I've change back and forth from over the years) doesn't make you any more Irish than what you feel... It doesn't allow you to vote in Ireland unless you live in it? 

He could have raised his footballing profile a bit more had he choose to stay with the North and been playing in France next summer.. as it is he'll be on his holidays early  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Spoken like a true OWCer 😂😂

PW Nally

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 21, 2015, 10:19:34 AM
Quote from: laoislad on October 20, 2015, 04:18:24 PM

;D

rather than southern Irish? which he ain't, whether he likes it of not... The Irish passport (which I've change back and forth from over the years) doesn't make you any more Irish than what you feel... It doesn't allow you to vote in Ireland unless you live in it? 

He could have raised his footballing profile a bit more had he choose to stay with the North and been playing in France next summer.. as it is he'll be on his holidays early  ;D
Is that your Mrs. posting on your behalf again?

ashman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 21, 2015, 10:09:16 AM

Disagree, if Rooney had something like that 5 years ago he'd have been hammered by the press as would Beckham in his heyday.

There are a lot of average footballers playing in the premiership.

It is not as good as its purveyors would have you think.

JoG2

he's performing better than Rooney @ the moment I'd say

Maroon Manc

Quote from: JoG2 on October 21, 2015, 12:20:07 PM

he's performing better than Rooney @ the moment I'd say

I agree but based on his last 15 league games Rooney isn't a premier league player.