Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

RIP. such a tragedy. That part of the world has been dealt quite a few in recent years

The slipway should be closed off as the ferry isn't even running.

quit yo jibbajabba

such a tragedy;
heard the same eye witness report on bbc, harrowing. id say there'll be a story of a real hero to emerge in the saving of the infant

edit -

http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/buncrana-pier-tragedy-devastated-woman-11071360#ICID=FB-Belfast-main

family now named. gets even worse. mother was on a hen do in Liverpool, so it was her partner, mother, younger sis and two children. unbelievable

snoopdog

Totally heartbreaking. Everything else is insignificant when you think of the life lost and the affect on those left behind. That poor girl will need so much support now as she buries those most important to her. Shows how quickly a tragic cic um stance can occur. May they rest in peace

The Iceman

Read about it this morning - God love them.  Not sure how 100 people stood by and watched and only one person went in to help?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hereiam

Iceman
What could the on lookers do, unless your a very good swimmer and in good shape you would have been risking ur own life going into the water at this time of the year. that car would have dropped like a stone when it started to go down so again what could they have done and it was also near dark. Such a waste of lives over a moment of misjudgement by the driver. RIP

93-DY-SAM

Absolute tragedy. Heartbreaking is an understatement. RIP.

It's a tragedy that should never have happened but it has. Here's hoping they start to put barriers on these slipways asap (north and south).  While it's too little too late in this case it would help prevent anything similar happening in the future to some other family.

Smokin Joe

Was wondering if it wasn't possible to get out of the car during the time that the conversation was happening with the onlooker?

If the driver was talking to the bystander would it not have been possible to open the door or get out the window?

I guess there was some reason why that didn't happen.

Hereiam

I would assume panic would have just taken over. I sure they were all trying to get the baby out of the car seat which is difficult at the best of times

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 21, 2016, 04:30:42 PM
Was wondering if it wasn't possible to get out of the car during the time that the conversation was happening with the onlooker?

If the driver was talking to the bystander would it not have been possible to open the door or get out the window?

I guess there was some reason why that didn't happen.

Had been thinking about that earlier, im sure as a driver you would be in a panic pushing the brake/spinning the wheels in reverse on the algae, and not daring to leave the car plunging into the water with the kids in the back. At the same time im not sure if those in the back were old/able enough to jump out the rear doors before it went over the edge.

All speculation and im sure he could have been shouting to the onlooker in seconds with the car stuck not moving either way, and then when it went it could have gone fast and no time to jump out.

Absolutely horrendous and cant imagine what the mother is going through. RIP to all the victims.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

longballin

maybe so boats can be dragged to the water. Will always be questions after tragedies. It is terrible news. So sad.

BennyCake

That's a nightmare for that family. God rest them.

What would be the deal regarding the electrics of the car underwater? Would the windows go down or central locking work?

The Iceman

Quote from: BennyCake on March 21, 2016, 07:35:54 PM

What would be the deal regarding the electrics of the car underwater? Would the windows go down or central locking work?
the manual locks would still work from the inside but the weight of the water for the individual might be difficult - it also risks sinking faster  -probably wanted to prolong that happening while they waited for help that wasn't coming.....  we have a seatbelt knife and window hammer in every car - i also carry a piece of metal on my keyring that can smash a window - you never know.... once they went under there wasn't much chance of seeing anything in the water I would say - awful way to go RIP
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Iceman on March 21, 2016, 07:41:54 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on March 21, 2016, 07:35:54 PM

the manual locks would still work from the inside but the weight of the water for the individual might be difficult - it also risks sinking faster  -probably wanted to prolong that happening while they waited for help that wasn't coming.....  we have a seatbelt knife and window hammer in every car - i also carry a piece of metal on my keyring that can smash a window - you never know.... once they went under there wasn't much chance of seeing anything in the water I would say - awful way to go RIP
Child locks not helpful in this scenario either. Desperate story - what a way to go.  :-[

The Iceman

just watched the video of the hero on BBC - says the Da was out of the car and could have been saved but went back in to help the rest and died with them... heartbreaking stuff

SHEEDY

nil satis nisi optimum