Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 26, 2012, 09:44:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments on the passing of my Dad recently, really appreciate them all. May he RIP

Mick O'Dwyer who is a family friend drove the hearse on the day of the funeral to Derrynane before the burial on Abbey Island.

This was taken by Kerry's Eye..

A fine final resting spot Mike. We stopped off there when doing the ring of Kerry a couple of summers ago and ended up walking past the graveyard and around Abbey Island. The sea breeze and views would clear any cobwebs.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AQMP

Sylvia Kristel, "star" of, what I am sure by today's standards is a very tame film, Emmanuelle, aged 60

ziggy90

Quote from: AQMP on October 18, 2012, 12:21:59 PM
Sylvia Kristel, "star" of, what I am sure by today's standards is a very tame film, Emmanuelle, aged 60

RIP, every 50 something's wet dream ;).
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

That's actually a sad, nostalgic moment. My first exposure to this mad world of Ceefax was back when I was about 10 or 11 I'd say, and I went to London for the first time with my Granny to visit my Uncle, Aunt and Cousins in Burnt Oak. One evening we went to a friend of his, and the sons had a TV in their bedroom, which was a shock initally. Then to see this mad thing of news that you could read at any time, and could decide what to look at. There were even sports stories!! I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Then when multi channel finally made it to Ferbane about 1986 or so, I can't even remember how many games I 'watched' through Ceefax. Hoping for the Page to Refresh, and to update with Liverpool 1 - Chelsea 0, Rush 87.

The tension was savage :) Anyway, a great service in its time and while the genre has moved on hugely in the UK with its red button type services on Sky and BBC, not to mention t'internet and iPhones, I will always remember sitting in that room in Edgeware, reading the previews of the soccer matches the next day while all my cousins were asleep, and the ghostly flicker of blue, green and white characters reflecting on my face in the dark.

Thanks Ceefax.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 23, 2012, 11:23:49 AM
That's actually a sad, nostalgic moment. My first exposure to this mad world of Ceefax was back when I was about 10 or 11 I'd say, and I went to London for the first time with my Granny to visit my Uncle, Aunt and Cousins in Burnt Oak. One evening we went to a friend of his, and the sons had a TV in their bedroom, which was a shock initally. Then to see this mad thing of news that you could read at any time, and could decide what to look at. There were even sports stories!! I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Then when multi channel finally made it to Ferbane about 1986 or so, I can't even remember how many games I 'watched' through Ceefax. Hoping for the Page to Refresh, and to update with Liverpool 1 - Chelsea 0, Rush 87.

The tension was savage :) Anyway, a great service in its time and while the genre has moved on hugely in the UK with its red button type services on Sky and BBC, not to mention t'internet and iPhones, I will always remember sitting in that room in Edgeware, reading the previews of the soccer matches the next day while all my cousins were asleep, and the ghostly flicker of blue, green and white characters reflecting on my face in the dark.

Thanks Ceefax.

Are you sure that wasn't 'Dalglish 87'?  RIP Ceefax

5 Sams

Thanks Ceefax.

Mind it well. Saturday afternoons spent in the pub watching a screen waiting for it to change. It was usually Man Utd's score changing after 96 mins.
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 23, 2012, 11:30:23 AM

Thanks Ceefax.

Sorry, I just picked a scoreline at random :) I forgot about KK's double winning strike, but I actually saw that game on RTE so it wasn't a Ceefax Moment.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 23, 2012, 11:56:28 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 23, 2012, 11:30:23 AM

Thanks Ceefax.

Sorry, I just picked a scoreline at random :) I forgot about KK's double winning strike, but I actually saw that game on RTE so it wasn't a Ceefax Moment.

I saw it too, ah the memories!

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 23, 2012, 11:56:28 AM

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 1 (Dalglish 23). Fine assist from Jim Beglin.

I won't miss Ceefax. Nostalgia is all very well, but the manner in which Liverpool's game seemed to be on sub-page 2/3 yet you'd always land on sub-page 3/3 used do my nut.

AZOffaly

That was part of the suspense deiseach.

Billys Boots

I remember bringing a business client (from the UK) into a pub in Swords for a pint one night - when we came into the bar, all the lads at the bar were glued to the telly, watching the match on Teletext.  Not a word, pure tension - very, very surreal.  Yer man never came back again!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

Was there anything worse than Aertel on a Sun evening waiting to see if Longford beat Carlow in Div 3Z on the National League.

Bastarding page would be stuck on the first page for ages and then when it did roll to page 2 it would still show Carlow 0-03 Longford 0-02.

theticklemister

do they still do the updates for club matches on aertel??

As a wain i thought it was fantastic as ye use to have to wait until the local paper to come out 5 days later to get the scores!!!

derry - 589

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 23, 2012, 12:21:31 PM
That was part of the suspense deiseach.

Screw suspense. It's hard enough without suspense.