Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander3

Quote from: Leftmidfield on March 08, 2015, 04:49:56 PM
How did we win that match today ? Six points down twice in the match. Kane was brilliant. Three great saves. Devlin really kept his nerve to score winning point with last kick of the match. Poland and laverty pick of the forwards for me. Can't sign off without mentioning mckernans super point to equalise before PD hit the winner. I still think Down are in a false position though as they really were 2nd best today and then there was the 2 points we picked up in Kildare

Yea we have been lucky so far in the league, but do hope it's also a sign of a good spirit developing in the team, they never seem to think they are beaten

Still think we are to small, and would love to have clarke back. But would definitely have taken this at the start of the year

MK

Kane(not suprisingly motm) kept them in the game....Mc kernan,laverty,mooney and Devlin (twice) took fantastic scores when it mattered most to punish Galway.Still need to sort out midfield and the way Galway drove through the centre of Down's defence for a number of scores was alarming.

5 Sams

Galway were able to penetrate our defence at will in the 2nd half and take scores from the 21...we couldn't get past the Galway 50! McKernan with an outrageous score and Devlin with balls of steel sewed it up for us in the end but Kane effectively won the games for Down with a string of fabulous one on one saves. Sitting on top of Div 2 without playing particularly well is some achievement for McCorry.
The Aristocrat Years

whitegoodman

I am as delighted as any man to see us somehow get a win out of that today but the luck is hanging out of us and we could easily be sitting with zero points from 4 games.

Some of the starting positions and substitutions continue to baffle and some of the players don't even look fit.  I would have been a big fan of McCorry prior to this year but I think the wins to date have come inspire of him so don't think it's McCorrys achievement at all.

Maybe I am a "keyboard warrior" for stating my opinion on this so sorry Kevin !!!!

Mourne Rover

It was an astonishing game today, as we were totally outplayed for long periods but we hung in there, edged our way back into the contest late on and eventually our spirit got us over the line. Galway would have been out of sight had it not been for Kane in goals, who made at least four top drawer saves and placed most of his kick-outs well.

Apart from Kane, we struggled at the back for most of the afternoon and the sweeper system seemed to go missing for long periods. Boyle is probably not a corner back and could not cope with Cummins, while Howard was given very little protection and O'Hanlon did not look comfortable at half back. The early recurrence of McArdle's injury did not help but Dee Turley was very steady and McGovern was reasonable. McKernan was far from his best early on but his quality came through and his long-range late point was outstanding.

Garvey made a decent start at midfield and his unfortunate black card hit us badly, but Peter Turley was a tower of strength throughout and made a couple of massive hits along the way.

Poland, after a couple of ropey displays, is finding his form, while Devlin worked hard even when things were going against him and his winner in the fourth minute of injury time was nerveless. McGarry took quite a while to settle, but eventually hit a fine point and will be better for the experience. O'Hare had another one of those days when he did not really get going and still finished with 1-5, which will do us nicely. Laverty was as inspirational as ever, popping up at corner back when we needed him, linking the play throughout and bravely wining the crucial free at the death.

Of the subs, Johnston did not really impose himself but McConville is a handful wherever he plays and it was his turnover which led to the winning score. We are still trying to find the best way to utilise Mooney's pace but he did get one fine point, while Carr tidied up neatly and Downey competed well.

McCorry got most of his subs right, although Collins should probably have been introduced at an early stage and it was a surprise that he did not appear at all. However, the manager has a squad who believe in his approach and four points from our last three games may well get us promoted.

The radio interview afterwards which suggested that Marty Clarke is about to resume training may have been a little optimistic, but it is fairly clear that he is on the road back which would give us a huge lift.

SHEEDY

a fortunate win but a win none the less. stevey kane was brilliant in nets and was a deserving man of the match. still feel we are a very small and light team and galway walked through us at will at times and could have had another couple of goals at least. the subs that were introduced made difference and added a touch of much needed muscle especially around the middle third.
top of the pile but still much to improve on, which can only be a good thing.
nil satis nisi optimum

Line Ball

The big fear we all have is about the size of our team.  Not for the first time in the League we have been ripped apart with strong, direct running and we simply don't have an answer to it.  I'm not even sure if these big physical players exist in Down like they do in other counties, big lads 6.3 or so who will put themselves around when needs be and can play ball too.  Ambrose and big Dan spring to mind but they are not involved at the minute.  Kane was outstanding today and really won the game for us.  Our strong finish was something else and what a free to win it, well done.  Who would have thought we would be where we are after 4 games, not many including me.

snoopdog

I missed today's game but have been to the others. And the 1 thing that has struck me most is the never say die attitude that past Down teams haveBT showed that often in fairness. But obviously missing a few big names who could make a big difference. Safe now,  promotion a real possibility can afford to lose 1 of last 3 and probably go up. Still think galway will top the table so might have another day our in croke park against them.

SHEEDY

thought it was strange when benny mcardle went off injured early on we brought on jerome johnston, nothing against jerome but he wasnt exactly what we needed at that time and only added to the number of small players on the team. thought aiden carr or ryan mallon would have suited more at that time. 
nil satis nisi optimum

Shamrocks Gaelp

Packie downey getting playing time is a big positive, however I think Ryan Mallon should be integrated into or around midfield, also Mal Magee has returned. Is ryan Johnston still out due to the injury he picked up for St Mary's?

Courtney

What a comeback yesterday , really getting a good feeling so far but concerned with lack of physical presence up front.
Rumours flying about minors in turmoil .
The set up is finished and ex senior manager is coming in to take over.PO was put back in to county to take over minors in few years but looks like he is in now ,a little earlier than planned.
Things are at an all time low , morale among the squad and confidence in the set up all but gone.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Courtney on March 09, 2015, 02:26:10 PM
The set up is finished and ex senior manager is coming in to take over.PO was put back in to county to take over minors in few years but looks like he is in now ,a little earlier than planned.
Things are at an all time low , morale among the squad and confidence in the set up all but gone.

Absolute rubbish according to what I've been told from the people that know best.

PAULD123

After yesterday's game I think the main worry is the inability to pass a ball accurately. We kicked away a lot of possession. That is nothing to do with talent, height, experience or any of the things we may not be blessed with. Even club players are expected to be able to pass a ball 20 yards accurately.

Apart from that, our midfield presence is very worrying and the inability to prevent teams coming right through the middle of our defence. We need a strong No.6 to hold that area.

I personally didn't think that lack of height held our full forward line back at all. Thought they were our best unit. Big Turley did a great job of holding midfield together more-or-less by himself. I cannot understand why big Arthur is not given a start. Packie Downey deserves a shot at midfield although Ryan Mallon should really be given first call against Westmeath due to his experience.

Ryan Boyle is a very good attacking half back but he is no corner back and should not have been played there. having said that he should at least have tried to get closer to his man. I would like to see big Arthur in at half forward, Devlin move up and O'Hanlon drop back, three from McKernan, Garvey, O'Hanlon, Boyle, and O'Hagan at half back, Mallon or Downey into midfield,

Kane

Howard - D Turley - Collins

McKernan - Garvey - O'Hanlon/Boyle/O'Hagan

Downey/Mallon - P Turley

McConville - Poland - Devlin

Laverty - McGarry - O'Hare

I must admit I don't know if D Turley is the right man for fullback but don't see any obvious contender. But on recent showing he is big, strong but not adept enough for corner back.

T O Hare

Quote from: Courtney on March 09, 2015, 02:26:10 PM
What a comeback yesterday , really getting a good feeling so far but concerned with lack of physical presence up front.
Rumours flying about minors in turmoil .

Did you not get picked by the minor management?? Because your talking absolute shite.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Shanemulholland

Courtney the man who told us Poacher was off to Annaclone :'(
Idiot. quality inside info you have.