Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Surprised that there's no big presence in the fullback line, Sheridan or Corr.. I think Nesty can feel hard done by he's always been steady and is a good free taker.

boojangles

Quote from: BigMac on June 07, 2011, 10:30:01 PM
Aren't you the member flying the flag Boo?
With regards the senior team, I'm sure Niall Murray will be in the forwards, and Flanagan in the backs, and possibly Cullivan and Gearoid switching. All in all, its a very young team, with only Miller, Lyng and Jelly what you would called "seasoned campaigners". Surprised not to see Dermot Sheridan in the full back line. Hopefully the lads that are picked are there on merit and will do the job on Sunday.

Afraid not Mac, did the knee playing a few weeks back. Its the sideline for me for a while.

I'm led to believe that Niall Murray will line out Half Back but who knows. Very very inexperienced team with only 3 survivors from last years team Vs Fermanagh. Hopefully it pays off.

Westside

Cavan were at 7/2, now gone out to 4/1. Only 4 players on the team over 23.

PhilsJemmysField

Holy God that is one hell of a young inexperienced backline so would expect both Flanagan and Lyng to be very deep. Expect to hear a lot about puke football after this

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Westside on June 07, 2011, 10:44:37 PM
Surprised that there's no big presence in the fullback line, Sheridan or Corr.. I think Nesty can feel hard done by he's always been steady and is a good free taker.

James McEnroe and Paddy Carroll arent exactly small men  though Westside.
Anyone else thinking of Fergal Flanagan for a potential man marking job,like he done on Coney in the Ulster under 21 final.

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on June 07, 2011, 10:44:37 PM

Worth a few points every game and can knock over 45's that could make difference in a tight game.

boojangles

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on June 08, 2011, 02:03:41 PM
Holy God that is one hell of a young inexperienced backline so would expect both Flanagan and Lyng to be very deep. Expect to hear a lot about puke football after this

If that happens we may forget about it. Breifni Park is a massive field and if we leave 60 or 70 yards between our Half forward line and Full forward line (like we have done before) then we will be bet and bet well. Thats not being negative, that is a fact.
Donegal will have at least one player dropping back in front of our Full-forward line. It is very hard to aim direct passes into a FF line when an intelligent player is covering in front.
Gaelic football is a very simple game and there is no point complicating it. You don't see Kerry or Cork with 11 men behind the ball. 11 men or whatever number behind the ball is great when you are protecting a 4 or 5 point lead with 5 minutes to go. IMO it should not be any teams main tactic for 70 minutes.
Our Half forward line will have to dictate to their men and make sure to get on lots of ball so their markers won't be worrying about going up the field. We will have to press and press when not in posession and that has to start with number 15. That doesn't mean pulling all our forwards back. It means going man for man with them instead of covering space like some lads are too used to doing.

One aspect of the U-21 win against them which should be used is the switching of play across the field.
If we can make use of the ample space which Donegal will leave then we are in with a chance.
We will need a massive game from James Reilly around the square as he is playing in front of 3 debutants.
We have to approach this game positively and make them worry about us.

Delighted to see Mickey Lyng back on the team. He has had a rough number of years but I think we might finally get to see him play to near his full potential again in the blue of Cavan.
Best of luck to all involved.

tommysmith

Anyone think Flanagan will go full back and Niall Murray move into the forwards?

put-it-up-again

Junior team for tonight is as follows:

Alan O Mara
Terry Hyland
Thomas Wakely
Ă“isin Minagh
Stephen Jordan
Sean Mc Cormack
Michael Brady
Niall Mc Kiernan
Enda King
Robert Maloney-Derham
Anton O Reilly
Declan Meehan
Keith Fannin
Jason O Reilly
Jack Brady

Subs:
Stephen Tormey
Killian Reilly
Daniel Graham
Colm Smith
Ryan Mc Cormack
Tomas Reilly
Finbarr O Reilly
Barry Watters
Padraigh Reilly
Chris Conroy
Shane Tierney

Westside

How is Minagh available for tonight and not Sunday....?

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on June 08, 2011, 04:08:00 PM
How is Minagh available for tonight and not Sunday....?

He is going on holidays between now and Sunday and will be back before the next game Ulster Semi/Qualifer but has opted out completly.

PhilsJemmysField

agree with all that Boo but does seem to be a defensive half forward line with Murray covering space. Win the middle Diamond and win the game. We can go into this with hope after the u21 run. Givney hopefully is back to himself and a good work rate from McKiernan. Cullivan and Eugene Keating will have to step on and give a consistent performance and not just do the flash stuff. We will travel in hope

BallyhaiseMan

i would reckon the seniors will line up something like

Miller

Carroll             Flanagan        O Dowd
                     (on Murphy)

McEnroe           McCutcheon      Reily

McKiernan       Givney

Murray              Lyng           Keating

Jelly                  Cullivan          McDermott

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 08, 2011, 05:19:06 PM
i would reckon the seniors will line up something like

Miller

Carroll             Flanagan        O Dowd
                     (on Murphy)

McEnroe           McCutcheon      Reily

McKiernan       Givney

Murray              Lyng           Keating

Jelly                  Cullivan          McDermott

Cullivan will be out around the middle Id say and Keating will hav to be in the FF line because its the only place for him. IMO.