Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richiej

Lads it's February ther a 3 weeks break in National League. Dropping students for having a few pints is madness. There not professional . I tell you one thing it's the reason a few seasoned Gaels lads won't play county football. No harm
Whatsoever in a few pints here and there. Players today are a lot more disciplined than they were in the 70s and 80s drinkwise .. Give lads a break.

Celt_Man

Anyone know where a body could find today's Minor results??
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

TheThirdManning

According to HS

The third full-back in as many games.

Saturdays team v Sligo

J Reilly D Barkey D Reilly R Flanagan B Waters P O Reilly R Maloney Derham D Givney G McKiernan N Smith M McKeever K Meehan N McDermott E Keating M Dunne

tommysmith

The keeper has being dropped by his club for start of league for not training.

rodney trotter

Damian Reilly has been one of the better full backs in club football the last 2 or 3 years but i dunno about playing him there at county level.Hopefully he can do well there as changing the full back every game isn't a good sign. Cavan need somebody to fill the position, lots of players were tried last year. Good to see Mckeever back in the team quality player dunno why the fook he wasn't stating the last 2 games, big step up for Martin Dunne. Barkey or Flanagan will have a hard task on David Kelly, class act.

Westside

Another change at full back... I don't see how we'll come away with a win against Sligo. Something tells me that the morale has wilted dramatically since the end of the McKenna cup and the players are falling back to old ways. We badly badly need a win on Saturday but I just don't see it happening.

Celt_Man

Cavan starts for McKeever and Dunne

http://hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=163155

Mark McKeever and Martin Dunne will both start for Cavan against Sligo.

Gowna clubman McKeever has caught the eye in challenge matches and ACFL games in recent weeks and is rewarded by Val Andrews with his first league start of the year, lining out on the 40.

And Cavan Gaels attacker Dunne impressed during the McKenna Cup and now has a chance to prove he can nail down a regular place in the starting XV.

Cavan (NFL Division Three V Sligo): James Reilly; Damien Barkey, Damien O'Reilly, Ronan Flanagan; Barry Watters, Padraic O'Reilly, Robert Maloney-Derham; David Givney, Gearoid McKiernan; Niall Smith, Mark McKeever, Kevin Meehan; Niall McDermott, Eugene Keating, Martin Dunne.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Denn Forever

First win.

0-14 to 1-08

Phew.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Ollie

It was nice to get a win. We had a great first half. I felt we should have been more ahead going in at half time. The second half was a different story. We were no longer dominant, are intensity levels faded, the passing became a little sloppy and we were taken the wrong options when it came to shooting for scores. We gave away a bad goal and were very lucky not to give away a another one and the end. What bothers me most was when Sligo went down to 14 men we failed to make use of the extra man. It was a another example of Vals more tactical skills.
That be said there was some good performances from Bud Fitzpatrick, Kevin Meehan, Niall Smith and Ronan Flanagan. Hopefully we can build on this win.

rodney trotter

The Sligo half forward Egan was very stupid in the way he got himself sent off. Got booked for a high tackle on Giveny then lucky to not get a second yellow and for a elbow on Mckeever and then got the second for another silly tackle on mckeever i think it was again all inside about 3 minutes. Still about 15 minutes left when that happened, David Kelly didn't start which was a good thing, Though Damian Reilly did quiet well as did Flanagan, Pauric Reilly done fairly well at centre back and Giveny and Mckiernan dominated the Sligo midfield. Forwards made some nice moves, Martin Dunne and Bud Fitzpatrick scored some nice pts. Niall Murray came on near the end for Niall Smith. his first appearance of the year.

Swadman

We have our own "G Mac" now
Cavan earned their first win of the Division 3 Football League campaign as they beat Sligo at Breffni Park.
Martin Dunne and Gearoid McKiernan were among Cavan's star performers as they hit 0-4 and 0-3 respectively.
The sides were level at 0-2 apiece but Cavan hit eight unanswered scores to move 0-10 to 0-3 by half-time.
Colm Magee cut Cavan's lead to three points with 15 minutes left but points from Dunne and McKiernan ensured that Val Andrews' Breffni side held on.
McKiernan and recalled Mark McKeever hit opening points for Cavan before Sligo drew level thanks to Adrian Marron and Mark Brehony scores.
However, Dunne, Kevin Meehan, Brendan Fitzpatrick and Niall Smyth were among the scorers are Cavan hit eight without reply.
Colm Magee ended Sligo's scoring drought before the break but Cavan were still seven up at the interval.
Points from Robert Maloney-Derham and David Givney extended Cavan's lead to nine as something of a rout looked on the cards after the break.
However, Sligo responded by hitting an unanswered 1-4 including Magee's 53rd-minute goal.
Cavan were looking a tad nervous in the closing 10 minutes but late points from Dunne and McKiernan ensured that they held on.

mylestheslasher

I was at the game last night. A good win for the lads and most importantly a boost for morale and confidence. I thought Givney was excellent from open play and he and McKiernan dominated for long periods. man of the match for me was Mark McKeever who seemed really fit and hungry - that's how you react to being dropped. Keating went off injured after 5 minutes and Bud fitz came on. He and Dunne tried hard and worked hard and indeed got some nice points but they were also a bit wastefull (especially Dunne) trying shots from silly positions instead of working the ball on. It has to be said this game was won due to a ferocious workrate, especially from our wing forwards Smith and Meehan. It was only when these guys tired that Sligo started making inroads and  I thinK Andrews waited too long to make changes. FB line and half back line were good. Really worried about goals though. Miller totally at fault for the goal when he came off the line with all the acceleration of a massie 35. He then completely fucked up last kick of the game and Sligo could have got the equaliser from it. He did make one good save but it was from a tight angle and I would expect any keeper to save it. We need a plan B in goals. Well done to the team and nice to see a Cavan team work hard for each other and not just for themselves as individuals.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 04, 2012, 03:06:04 PM
man of the match for me was Mark McKeever who seemed really fit and hungry - that's how you react to being dropped.

+1