2012 London Olympics - Official thread

Started by muppet, August 21, 2011, 10:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 13, 2012, 10:00:57 PM
No doubt it was technically BBC's finest hours or 17 days.  However, perhaps it is just me, the grumpy old man, but Gary Lineker, Jake Humphrey and Matt Baker were horrendous.  They were ill-prepared and ill-informed about most sports.  Clare Balding, Mishal Husain and to a lessor extent Gabby Logan were far superior. Chris Boardman was excellent and Phil Ligget embarrassed him at every turn. Barry Davies and Jim Neilly were out on their own.
Matt Baker shouldn't have been let out of the house. I didn't realise Liggett was commentating - you sure it wasn't Hugh Porter?

Also, time you boys were back at the books - standards are slipping.

Tony Baloney

A Golden Games is repeated tonight (narrated by Eddie Butler).

laoislad

Nearly time for Sky Sports to take their medal count logo thingy off their screen,it is annoying me now.
Roll on Saturday and the Premier League.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gallsman

Quote from: laoislad on August 13, 2012, 10:46:08 PM
Nearly time for Sky Sports to take their medal count logo thingy off their screen,it is annoying me now.

Football will take a while to get people interested this year I suspect. Was flicking between Olympic Basketball final and the Charity Shield yesterday. The football bored the life out of me, even for a decent 3-2 game.

Orangemac

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 13, 2012, 12:54:56 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 13, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
Gutted the Olympics are over I really enjoyed the last few weeks. Sport at its best!!

Maybe because it's only every 4 years but the Olympics is still something special. Think there is a genuine feeling of sadness that it's all over.

I like football as much as the next man but really not in the mood yet for the circus of the Premier League returning next weekend.
+1. Was looking forward to the Euros more than the Olympics but am really gonna miss the games now they are over. The sheer endeavour and determination, delight at medals or personal bests warmed the spirit. Hard to look forward to the diving and snide remarks of the PL but give it a few weeks and it will be business as usual.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

You are taking the piss arent you? PL hahahahahaha!!!

nrico2006

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 13, 2012, 09:15:52 PM
Why's everybody so down on this Jessie J blade? I never heard of her until last night and I thought she did a fine job. Why am I seeing so much hatred all over social media?  What did she do?  Is she some sort of convicted criminal or something?

Find it strange that out of all the female singers in the UK it was her and your doll Sande that were given big roles at the closing ceremony.  Surely there were better candidates out there.  Both girls have hardly set the world alight with their initial releases, yet they are promoted in the UK asif they are up there with the best.  Jessie J annoys the hell out of me with her Lurgan facelift and those stupid and disgusting Duffys circus leotards that she wears - did she not recently get a new stylist?  Maybe time for another change.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Bingo

SKY still throwing the digs in mind, had a story on the Sky Sports news about the failure of the GB track team to reach their medal target of 8 when they got 6. Used strong words like failure, overhaul, cut in funding etc. They didn't mention of course that the target was 1 gold while they got 4.

Rois

Just saw the two boys at City Hall in Belfast - nice afternoon for it and nice to see people standing around clapping. 

Capt Pat

I see the undertaker had to hand back his medal for winning the womens shot putt, bleedin chancer. :P

deiseach

Quote from: Bingo on August 14, 2012, 09:22:47 AM
SKY still throwing the digs in mind, had a story on the Sky Sports news about the failure of the GB track team to reach their medal target of 8 when they got 6. Used strong words like failure, overhaul, cut in funding etc. They didn't mention of course that the target was 1 gold while they got 4.

I think the athletics team underachieved. When you consistently fail to get a baton around 400m of track, something is wrong with the preparation

Denn Forever

There is a drama on BBC2 on Thursday night at 9 that should be interesting.  Its about the creation of the Paralympics games in 1948.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/olympiad/other/best-of-men.html
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

johnneycool

Quote from: deiseach on August 14, 2012, 02:39:08 PM
Quote from: Bingo on August 14, 2012, 09:22:47 AM

I think the athletics team underachieved. When you consistently fail to get a baton around 400m of track, something is wrong with the preparation

The young cub running the last leg got carried away with himself and went too early, its like taking penalties, you can do it day in day out in your back yard, but when 80 odd thousand are watching your every move all the preparation goes out the window.

I presume Sky are pissed that it was a closed shop and they couldn't get their nabs on it, coupled by the very decent job the BBC (except that knob Lineker) did on the coverage.

HiMucker

Folks, I know there is whole thread dedicated to Sidebottom, but did anybody hear the commentator on RTE for the basketball final!!  Priceless stuff all together "sliced and diced" was a favourite of his. 

Bingo

Quote from: johnneycool on August 14, 2012, 03:12:01 PM

The young cub running the last leg got carried away with himself and went too early, its like taking penalties, you can do it day in day out in your back yard, but when 80 odd thousand are watching your every move all the preparation goes out the window.

I presume Sky are pissed that it was a closed shop and they couldn't get their nabs on it, coupled by the very decent job the BBC (except that knob Lineker) did on the coverage.
[/quote]

The relay team was discussed alright - said they are rarely together to practice and it showed. Not sure if this is right and I'm sure that other countries would be same apart from Jamica who seem to train together all the time?

They actually looked at the young cub and said he didn't go early, he went when he should. He got nervous though and turned round to see where batton was, this turned his body and moved his hand position where the the other runner was just placing the batton, they then both tried to correct it and missed each other again.

The two missing medals were from the mens relay team according to the report, Dai Greene and the triple jumper which was targetted well in advance of his injury/meltdown/disappearance.