Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan

All you ones complaining about the Armagh CB would want to look long and hard at the events.

I think they've done the best job they could to now - Grimley threw the toys out of the pram when they didn't jump on his call - and that's the reason Armagh are in the mess they're in.

The CB had gone above and beyond the call in approaching and lining up Grimley and others in his backroom team and support staff and had done an excellent job until Grimley started making unreasonable demands.

Players statements don't help at all.

stew

Quote from: Logan on September 11, 2009, 09:08:52 PM
All you ones complaining about the Armagh CB would want to look long and hard at the events.

I think they've done the best job they could to now - Grimley threw the toys out of the pram when they didn't jump on his call - and that's the reason Armagh are in the mess they're in.

The CB had gone above and beyond the call in approaching and lining up Grimley and others in his backroom team and support staff and had done an excellent job until Grimley started making unreasonable demands.

Players statements don't help at all.

There is enough blame to go around, fcuk placing the blame, I would rather they fixed the problem.

You are spot on about the players statements, they should focus on the football and stay out of the politics, no good can come from their meddling.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Logan

When Grimley annouced he was jumping ship 'they' should have

(a) Pulled out all the stops and tried to get him back. WHile he may have decided it wasn't confirmed for almost 24 hours - plenty of time to convince him otherwise if they really wanted him.

(b) Done whatever it took to get McIvor. I don't think he would have been the Number 1 choice - but he had the discipline, leadership to control and stabilise the ship with a good football brain. All that is needed is a new strong leader to stop the ship going under completely.

(c) If he didn't want the main job (which is common knowledge) they should have put him alongside Justin McNulty and used the first 2 years or so to prepare McNulty for the role.

Now they've been left in a mess where they'll be looking at third best.
Worse still every idiot outside the county and province will be looking for the job now - expect to see goons like Tommy Lyons, Eamonn Barry and Eamonn McEneaney expressing an interest in it next.

qub la la la

couldnt be bothered reading over everything on here so may repeat some other people's views. This whole thing is a joke. Firstly have we another Cork situation on our hands?? The players (and who says at this moment in time that they are Armagh's players) cant dictate who the manager is. They are there to play, not to pick who they play for. And a lot of these players may not even be on future Armagh panels. Many of them shouldn't have been on the panel in 2009.

The County Board do have a lot to answer for. If they set up a committee to get a manager, then the committee should have been left to their own devices until a single name came forward to be confirmed. If the CB didnt trust the committee's judgement then the sub-committee should never have been set up in the first place. However some sympathy must go to the CB because they are currently seeking a man to do the job that Peter McDonnell did not - and that is to revamp the squad, get rid of the hangers-on and lay the foundations of a new, young team for the future. A job that I and many others had fully expected him to do. He didnt deliver. So the CB are probably worse off than before PMcD was appointed.

I suppose when candidates were dropping out of the race and Grimley went to Monaghan and we had the likes of J McNulty and Neil Smyth bandied about the CB may have paniced a bit and as McGrane suggests the CB made the sub-committee's position untenable.

I do also believe Paul McGrane has a lot to answer for as well. It seems to me when he couldnt get his own way (Grimley - who sought written assurances from the CB and issued ultimatums as Monaghan had given him a deadline) he started this disbanding crap and pointing fingers. The fact is if the sub-committee were to act properly Grimley could not be given written assurances as this would create the "flawed process" that McGrane & co have cited as there would be no process required. Now I dont know if Grimley truly wanted the job or not but he knew, as did the whole country, that if available he would have got the job and he only had to sit it out and wait. It is my opinion that he has burned his bridges, sided up to Monaghan. Hes made his bed so he can lie in it.

This however does not produce any answers as to who should or should not be the next manager. The list of who it shouldnt be would far outweigh the list that could do the job, that are still availble. And this tit for tat vitriol in local and national newspapers is hardly going to attract the calibre of bosses to the job that we need. Who in their right mind would want to deal with this rabble I do not know.

And the worst of it is, the biggest culprit of all the greed that spread around our county set-up is on his merry way to more backhanders and brown envelopes.

DuffleKing

I don't see why you are criticising the players in this instance. They are doing what sensible poster on here have been doing for weeks – calling stop, asking what the feck is going on and how can Armagh get the best man for the job in place – be he grimley or someone else. Only difference between us and them is they carry enough clout to be listened to. The argument about who's players now, yesterday or tomorrow is pedantic and a smokescreen. It's a badly thought through excuse by someone clutching at straws to find a reason why the players shouldn't have a voice.

As for revamping the squad getting rid of hangers on, that is a ridiculous statement. You cannot appoint a manager and then say "by the way, the first thing you have to do is...." You appoint a manager who is capable of doing the job. He has to be trusted to make judgement calls from the outset or he shouldn't be there. Certainly, how can we know who are the best players and support staff for the county from this distance? Those are decisions for people at the coal face.

Interesting that you feel qualified to criticise Paul McGrane because of your own idle speculation that he disbanded the selection committee because he couldn't get his own way, yet defend the county board because you "suppose" they "paniced". Understandable logic there all right. McGrane has no authority to disband the subcommittee – he is only a constituent member and this must be done by the chair with the support of the majority. But you work away with your assumptions and your supposes.

Who indeed would want to deal with this rabble.

The sooner the county executive are removed and the county can put professional people in place to run football in Armagh the better.

INDIANA

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 12, 2009, 01:21:10 PM

I don't see why you are criticising the players in this instance. They are doing what sensible poster on here have been doing for weeks – calling stop, asking what the feck is going on and how can Armagh get the best man for the job in place – be he grimley or someone else. Only difference between us and them is they carry enough clout to be listened to. The argument about who's players now, yesterday or tomorrow is pedantic and a smokescreen. It's a badly thought through excuse by someone clutching at straws to find a reason why the players shouldn't have a voice.

As for revamping the squad getting rid of hangers on, that is a ridiculous statement. You cannot appoint a manager and then say "by the way, the first thing you have to do is...." You appoint a manager who is capable of doing the job. He has to be trusted to make judgement calls from the outset or he shouldn't be there. Certainly, how can we know who are the best players and support staff for the county from this distance? Those are decisions for people at the coal face.

Interesting that you feel qualified to criticise Paul McGrane because of your own idle speculation that he disbanded the selection committee because he couldn't get his own way, yet defend the county board because you "suppose" they "paniced". Understandable logic there all right. McGrane has no authority to disband the subcommittee – he is only a constituent member and this must be done by the chair with the support of the majority. But you work away with your assumptions and your supposes.

The sooner the county executive are removed and the county can put professional people in place to run football in Armagh the better.

There is no professional  GAA county board in Ireland. County boards have a max of one full time posistion. The rest are volunteers.

BroJolly

Quote from: INDIANA on September 12, 2009, 02:07:40 PM
There is no professional  GAA county board in Ireland. County boards have a max of one full time posistion. The rest are volunteers.

Agree with this. Been away for the last week and only catching up on events. It was depressing before I went. Sinking to new lows now.

I don't know much about the County Board. What is it they're doing that is causing the outcry. And if they all resigned today, are there better people to replace them?

Not sure who will get the managers job, but based on the fact there is no obvious candidates within the county, then I would like it to go to someone from within the County who understands the football structures and has proven ability at some level and is hungry for the role.

Please God, not Houlie and Oisin. Donal Murtagh, Justin, Aiden O'Rourke etc. Names that have actually managed at a high enough level.

Whoever gets it if they don't get full support  from CB, clubs, players and supporters, then we may keep this thread open for this time next year

Logan

Good post - though I don't think the players going public was a help - they should have kept their views known to the CB and committee and out of the papers to be honest - at least for the time being.

Logan

The CB is NOT the problem

Can someone tell me what they did wrong?

They lined up the right man, organized the proper process to interview ervyone and had his finances sorted and he made demands in time frames that they couldn't meet. It's not their fault he panicked!
And from the back of the Irish News the players can see the CB and others had lined up good men to support Grimley.

Players would want to let the CB do their job and stay out of the papers before they start shouting off.

Archie Mitchell

Plunkett Donaghy to cross the Blackwater to manage the old rivals? Any truth in this at all?

under the bar

QuoteAnd the worst of it is, the biggest culprit of all the greed that spread around our county set-up is on his merry way to more backhanders and brown envelopes.

Surely you aren't inferring that ex-management and the county board lined their pockets at the expense of the ordinary supporter?   :o

up tyrone

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on September 12, 2009, 03:35:42 PM
Plunkett Donaghy to cross the Blackwater to manage the old rivals? Any truth in this at all?
Was talking 2 his brother 2day said it was the biggest load of baloney he`d ever heard.

DuffleKing

Quote from: INDIANA on September 12, 2009, 02:07:40 PM

I am talking about a professional outlook, professional standards and professional returns. not full time paid officers. That is what we expect from players, coaches and management.

but thanks for fulfilling your roll as resident know it all

DuffleKing

Quote from: Logan on September 12, 2009, 03:14:01 PM

Good post - though I don't think the players going public was a help - they should have kept their views known to the CB and committee and out of the papers to be honest - at least for the time being.

Players had already gone through that process and got nowhere.

County board deliberately defaulted on the agreement they had in place with Grimley, knowing he'd throw the head up

Logan

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 12, 2009, 04:45:30 PM
Quote from: Logan on September 12, 2009, 03:14:01 PM

Players had already gone through that process and got nowhere.

County board deliberately defaulted on the agreement they had in place with Grimley, knowing he'd throw the head up
Players should have kept out of the media.

The County board never defauted (this year) on any agreement.