Are we entering a vintage era for football?

Started by thewobbler, August 05, 2012, 05:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

This might seem a bit of a strange statement given the modern focus on stopping the opposition.

But having watched the four quarter-finals this weekend, i'd say we've now got in front of us four of the most athletic, disciplined and tactically aware sides in the history of the game together at once.

They're also each got a handful of cracking technical footballers who would have graced any team in history.

In my time watching football we've had umpteen great rivalries, and a few very competitive three-ways, but I can't remember four quality sides at once. The fact that there's a gap to Kerry tells you all you need to know, while the rest of Ireland (even Tyrone) have been pushed miles behind.

Yesterday I never wanted to watch football again. Now I can't wait for the semis.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: thewobbler on August 05, 2012, 05:58:25 PM
This might seem a bit of a strange statement given the modern focus on stopping the opposition.

But having watched the four quarter-finals this weekend, i'd say we've now got in front of us four of the most athletic, disciplined and tactically aware sides in the history of the game together at once.

They're also each got a handful of cracking technical footballers who would have graced any team in history.

In my time watching football we've had umpteen great rivalries, and a few very competitive three-ways, but I can't remember four quality sides at once. The fact that there's a gap to Kerry tells you all you need to know, while the rest of Ireland (even Tyrone) have been pushed miles behind.

Yesterday I never wanted to watch football again. Now I can't wait for the semis.

I don't know about that, but I do like that there is one from each province for the Semi.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mylestheslasher

We've entered the realm of cynical defensive football, in fact the idea that the word foot is used in the name of the game is ridiculous. A tight finish might be exciting but in terms of the more skillful team winning, that is out the window. I ask what is next, what is the next "guru" going to demand of players to win. The problem with this negative Donegal style is that to beat it you need to play the same or similar game.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: thewobbler on August 05, 2012, 05:58:25 PM

Master of hypebole!!!  Dublin are a one trick pony and when Brogan struggles, Dublin struggle.  Mayo are a good team but do they hae the mental strength to get over the line or will they fail like many other Mayo teams?  Donegal are a strong physically fit unit who all buy into the 'system' but Kerry were very poor today and had no real leadership.  Cork are potentially one of the great teams but might they end up like the great Armagh 1 in a row team?  Hardly Vintage era stuff ::)

The one thing about the 4 semi finalists, they are all cynical and negative when needed, Mayo being the least worst of them, if that makes sense.  The game has steadily movd away from the basics of how to play the game towards systems and strength.  If anything it is the antithesis of a vintage era.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

1996-2001 had the Meath-Kerry-Galway-Meath-Kerry-Galway winners, with many battles between them. Mayo could be said to have been the 4'th team in that 4 way rivalry, the 1996 Final and Replay V Meath, beating Kerry in 1996 & losing to them in 1997. Mayo V Galway in Connacht was great stuff in that period and Mayo beating Galway in the 2001 league final.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 05, 2012, 06:43:49 PM
1996-2001 had the Meath-Kerry-Galway-Meath-Kerry-Galway winners, with many battles between them. Mayo could be said to have been the 4'th team in that 4 way rivalry, the 1996 Final and Replay V Meath, beating Kerry in 1996 & losing to them in 1997. Mayo V Galway in Connacht was great stuff in that period and Mayo beating Galway in the 2001 league final.

I would add in the earlier years too.  From 1990 to 2000 there were 8 differnt winners, all provinces covered and plenty of grat games and great teams.  The quality of the football was exceptional too.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 05, 2012, 06:48:21 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 05, 2012, 06:43:49 PM

I would add in the earlier years too.  From 1990 to 2000 there were 8 differnt winners, all provinces covered and plenty of grat games and great teams.  The quality of the football was exceptional too.

Yip, that would bring, Dublin, Kildare, Cork, Down, Donegal, Tyrone, Derry, Armagh into the equation as top teams at different stages, also Roscommon, Leitrim, Offaly and Cavan making brief cameos. (Did Laois win a League too!!).

cadence

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 05, 2012, 06:20:00 PM
We've entered the realm of cynical defensive football, in fact the idea that the word foot is used in the name of the game is ridiculous. A tight finish might be exciting but in terms of the more skillful team winning, that is out the window. I ask what is next, what is the next "guru" going to demand of players to win. The problem with this negative Donegal style is that to beat it you need to play the same or similar game.

well, i actually loled there....

try this one for size myles.... maybe you should sort your own house out and then you won't be losing your best player again to counties that have the wherewithal and the ambition.

for some it's the most difficult thing in the world to accept your own failings, but we live in hope myles, we live in hope.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cadence on August 05, 2012, 07:20:17 PM

try this one for size myles.... maybe you should sort your own house out and then you won't be losing your best player again to counties that have the wherewithal and the ambition.

for some it's the most difficult thing in the world to accept your own failings, but we live in hope myles, we live in hope.

It teams like Cavan I worry about as the shite ye play will inevitably be copied by teams short of quality, just like ye were a few years ago. Then we will have more cynical crap like today to watch.

NaomhBridAbĂș

Asa tyrone fan, we had a long period of 'nearly but not quite' and then the golden era, which seems to be coming to a close, maybe already closed.

Through it all, I have always loved to watch Kerry, Mayo, Dublin, Armagh, Galway...there will always be counties that will entertain.

When you have a long period of success you get spoilt - Kerry have been spoilt for years. Tyrone and Armagh have had a deadly 10 years.

Donegal are coming through with a style of football that wins games - they dont score 10 goals a game, but when they were tested, neither did Kerry, nor Dublin.

I admire the commitment, dedication, focus and desire that Mcguiness brings to his team, and that the players in turn bring to their game - the style of performance will never take away from the results.

They are a good team that are very hard to beat, and they will have raised the bar just a little higher - most of us may not like it, but we all have to live with it, for this year at least
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Orchardman

There is definately a clear top 5. These 4 and kerry, and i reckon kerry would have beaten mayo, cork and dublin today, so don't start believing they are way behind these 4. I like mayo, but they will have be beat dublin before i would rate them any higher than 5th best team in the country

cadence

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 05, 2012, 08:05:37 PM

It teams like Cavan I worry about as the shite ye play will inevitably be copied by teams short of quality, just like ye were a few years ago. Then we will have more cynical crap like today to watch.

load of rubbish, cavan have enough players to achieve, you're just using this as an excuse as you don't like how we play and take a permanent defensive position too on what it takes to win at the top level these days. you'll win nothing for a long time until you change your ways.

btw, it was a magnificent game today. and it was because of no small amounts of skill and an intensity made possible by a physicality forged in the slog of training like you actually want it. but you would prefer to stick to your myopic view that has driven one of your players further afield into the arms of another county that runs things that can match his ambition and the level of commitment he prefers to give. you're a sad man myles slagging of folk who want to put the effort in while you champion the pissing about option. sad and a poor excuse for a cavan man.

J OGorman

Quote from: cadence on August 05, 2012, 08:54:07 PM

load of rubbish, cavan have enough players to achieve, you're just using this as an excuse as you don't like how we play and take a permanent defensive position too on what it takes to win at the top level these days. you'll win nothing for a long time until you change your ways.

btw, it was a magnificent game today. and it was because of no small amounts of skill and an intensity made possible by a physicality forged in the slog of training like you actually want it. but you would prefer to stick to your myopic view that has driven one of your players further afield into the arms of another county that runs things that can match his ambition and the level of commitment he prefers to give. you're a sad man myles slagging of folk who want to put the effort in while you champion the pissing about option. sad and a poor excuse for a cavan man.

Cadence lad, you're on a hiding to nothing continuously defending Donegals tactics. Its anti-football, end of. Stop the man first and foremost and then try and do something on the break. A magnificient game it was not, a magnificent result for Donegal it was

cadence

Quote from: J OGorman on August 05, 2012, 09:08:20 PM
Quote from: cadence on August 05, 2012, 08:54:07 PM

Cadence lad, you're on a hiding to nothing continuously defending Donegals tactics. Its anti-football, end of. Stop the man first and foremost and then try and do something on the break. A magnificient game it was not, a magnificent result for Donegal it was

i think you'll find it's called defending, shutting the other team down, that other team being kerry. it's cloud-cuckoo-land to think you can't be defensively sound against kerry and expect to come out the right side of the result. and to call how we attacked today as "do something on the break" is disingenuous, at best. kerry shut tyrone down but we counterattacked and mixed it up enough with long diagonal balls to murphy and mcfadden to keep the kerry defence back which gave our counterattacking runners more space. anti-football! try looking at what goes on in the game a bit.

Lar Naparka

TG4 showed the 1980 Kerry/ Offaly semi-final a few days ago.
I had been at that game and it was one of the best I had seen-especially the last quarter when Offaly staged a thrilling fightback. However, after watching it again, I believe that type of football has no place in the modern game. It's a pity but that's progress...
You had two top-class teams who battled it out to the end and, by the standards of the time, the game was played in a clean, sporting manner.
A ref nowadays wouldn't tolerate some of the tackling and off the ball incidents in that game and I'll add that football then was a lot cleaner than it used to be back in Catch & Kick times.

Take a look at this Youtube clip and you'll see what I mean. It's a clip from the '75 AI final between the superpowers of the '70s, Kerry and Dublin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9VY7BKKCw

Nobody passed any remarks; even Mick O'Hehir, the commentator, saw nothing strange as Mickey Ned O'Sullivan lay unconscious on the ground.  Kerry were awarded a 14 yard free and everyone, bar poor Mickey Ned, got on with the game.
That was what passed for football in the so-called Golden Era.
Kerry, Dublin and Offaly were great sides but only when judged against the standards of their time.
Donegal today might not have the same number of talented players as any of those teams but they'd more than make up for it with their superior fitness, coaching and teamwork etc.
Their style of play may not be pretty but I'm sure Jim McGuinness & co. don't give a damn.
Winning is the name of the game and I don't see catch and kick ever making a comeback.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi