Football All Stars 2018

Started by thewobbler, July 25, 2018, 06:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 02, 2018, 03:35:29 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 02, 2018, 03:28:45 PM
Comer probably troubled the Dublin defence more than any other player this year. Had them in all sorts of bother in the league final for a while and again for a shorter while in the AI semi final. The thing is these periods have probably not been sustained enough for him to get an All-Star. Whether this is Comer's fault or the fault of Galway for not feeding enough ball into him is up for debate. But if you were giving one All-Star to Galway I would probably have him behind Walsh and Burke in that order.

A mixture of not getting enough ball into him and been double marked. Comer still has a little bit to learn mainly improving his movement and moving the ball on to a team mate in a better place.

Yeah he has the blinkers on sometimes after winning the ball. Case in point being the goal chance he missed against Dublin. If he got his head up, Heaney was free beside him. Did the same against Kildare didn't he? Had two lads free either side of him but took it on himself. Two goal chances both missed. Needs to add that to his game if he wants to go up a level.

imtommygunn

Comer is still a bit raw in my view. He's a bit too much head down and go for it. I think in the latter stages of the championship when the stakes were higher he was found out a bit although granted I didn't watch Galway Dublin. Walsh came of age a bit this year. Hugely gifted though to be honest I would still hope to see a lot more from him yet(and think we will).

Syferus

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 02, 2018, 04:24:15 PM
Comer is still a bit raw in my view. He's a bit too much head down and go for it. I think in the latter stages of the championship when the stakes were higher he was found out a bit although granted I didn't watch Galway Dublin. Walsh came of age a bit this year. Hugely gifted though to be honest I would still hope to see a lot more from him yet(and think we will).

This is a weird take on Comer. If any of the three are raw it's Walsh who despite his good year is still taking too much out of the ball. His expected points to actual points were by far the worst of any player in D1 this year iirc.

Maroon Manc

Shane Walsh shootings stats were very impressive in the championship when it mattered most not the league.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnogluhW0AEEN0J.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnogJj2XoAAr49K.jpg

imtommygunn

Quote from: Syferus on November 02, 2018, 04:37:06 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 02, 2018, 04:24:15 PM

This is a weird take on Comer. If any of the three are raw it's Walsh who despite his good year is still taking too much out of the ball. His expected points to actual points where by far the worst of any player in D1 this year iirc.

It's really not.whenyour default position is to go through someone rather than round them then it's reasonable.

I said there was more in walsh too.

Schkite

Jaysus Marty had to put Beggan on the spot there asking about his idol, he had to get Cluxton mentioned in there somewhere.

Mayo4Sam14

Comers biggest problem is he seems to have to spend most his time out f**king half back. Always look dangerous when he gets the ball inside but he isn't given it enough or in the right areas
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

An Watcher

f**k me, seen cluxton twice this year and beggan twice this year.  Beggan's  display in omagh was the best display of goalkeeping I've ever seen.  Not even a competition to say who was the best this year

Mayo Border

Claxton robbed of an all star again this year and no idea how Clifford was picked ahead of Howard for Young Player of the year. Review needed

twohands!!!

Quote from: Mayo Border on November 02, 2018, 08:23:48 PM
Claxton robbed of an all star again this year and no idea how Clifford was picked ahead of Howard for Young Player of the year. Review needed

If you've no idea how Clifford won the YPOTY, his stats speak for himself

This was on a Kerry team that were awful for large parts of the championship.

Howard had a very strong year but he did have a big advantage of being on a dominant team.

The kind of stats from Clifford would have had him in the running for POTY if Kerry had made any sort of progress.

If it was the case that Michael McKernan had won YPOTY then a review would have been needed but anyone suggesting that Clifford isn't a worthy YPOTY winner is talking nonsense.

Cunny Funt

Brian Fenton the footballer of the year.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 02, 2018, 08:36:07 PM

Well deserved - he's just a joy to watch.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: twohands!!! on November 02, 2018, 08:37:43 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 02, 2018, 08:36:07 PM

Well deserved - he's just a joy to watch.

Agree. Fantastic player.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyCake

Clifford looks shifty any time he's on camera. Like he's just been caught stealing money from his ma's purse.

Glad Beggan won. Well deserved.

The Hill is Blue

Clifford was the standout YPOTY. Well deserved. He should have a great career.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8