The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea The Stars

Don't forget Rewilding and So You Think pulled six clear of Planteur and a further ten back to Twice Over.

Both horses have run high 120s. 129 Rewilding, 128 So You Think. At a glance they are the ratings I would dish out.

The fact that it was Rewilding who beat So You Think is misleading a lot of people in my opinion. Rewilding has improved an awful lot over the Winter. Future races will hopefully prove that there was no shame in going down to him, particularly if as O'Brien is saying the horse wasn't fit.

Sea The Stars

On the Melboure Cup - I'm not sure will Aidan go back. Purely because his tactics with Septimus, Honolulu and Alessandro Volta did not go down well out there. He took a hell of a lot of flak Down Under. You only have to read the comments of Bart Cummings this week to see there's still a hostile feeling towards O'Brien. Aidan himself, was very critical of the hard ground down there too.

If he did go back, then I'd be looking to a horse like Regent Street - runs in the Queen's Vase at Royal Ascot today. Same race Mahler won, and he's the closest Aidan has come to winning a Melbourne Cup. Horses like Yeats and Septimus were very exposed when they went down, and they got jarred up on the hard ground. Mahler, for all that he might have lacked in class, got in off a nothing weight and possibly because he was so lightly raced, was more willing to let himself run on the ground? That is a theory of mine anyway. For that reason, I'd prefer to see them keep Fame And Glory to the staying races in Europe.

beer baron

Teolane the banker today Dh?

boojangles

Quote from: Candyman on June 16, 2011, 11:24:52 PM
I would imagine AOB and all at Ballydoyle need a good fcukin kick in the balls!!! "Maybe we hadn't done enough work with him to get his stamina up" or words to that effect??? WTF? Thanks for telling us beforehand... Cost me a fortune!! :-/

AP O Brien,Ballydoyle or Coolmore do not give a flying F*** about ordinary punters like you and me.

Teolane was very impressive last week and the stable is in great form with an Ascot winner yesterday.
Any thoughts on Together today? The word was supposedly good about it before the Irish Guineas but was beat by the so called second string that day.

attheraces

There is no real stand out pick for me in the coronation today, the ground will suit Together today but a drawback is the draw which will make it tough for a victory. She will probably run a solid race and a place would be most likely in my eyes. A place is 13/8 at the moment on betfair which is pretty good value at the moment IMO.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Candyman

I've done a wee e/w accum for the craic:

World Domination 6/1
More than Real  10/1
Riggins         33/1

attheraces

The ground didn't suit Teolane today atall but that was not really a reason to oppose her because she is from Teofilo who loved the soft ground. She missed the start and never seemed comfortable in running. Bad start to the day for the punters.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Donnellys Hollow

I just don't see it with regard to So You Think STS. I saw the horse myself in the flesh when he won the Mooresbridge and he certainly is an impressive bull of a colt but I don't think he'll ever justify his reputation in Europe. I take your point re Planteur and Twice Over but equally Sri Putra who is very moderate was only 6 lengths away. High Chaparral, for all that he was a brilliant racehorse, has been a bit of a disappointment at stud. Any of his progeny that I have encountered seem to lack a gear. Maybe So You Think will be better when stepped up two furlongs in trip (his Melbourne Cup run suggests as much) but you could make a similar case for Rewilding. I think Magnier took a gamble on this horse being the one who would really showcase High Chaparral as a sire safe in the knowledge that he could have a successful stud career in Australia regardless. Unless he wins a race like the Eclipse, the King George, the Judmonte, the Irish Champion or the Arc against top class opponents, I don't think he'll be that popular among European breeders. His Cox Plate wins will ensure his popularity in Australia but I certainly wouldn't be sending a mare to So You Think for what's likely to be an astronomical figure on the back of beating Zipping (a 9yo gelding) by a few lengths.

Quote from: boojangles on June 17, 2011, 11:22:09 AM
AP O Brien,Ballydoyle or Coolmore do not give a flying F*** about ordinary punters like you and me.

Absolutely spot on Booj. Coolmore has grown to be far more powerful than the Irish Turf Club will ever be and it is to the detriment of racing IMO. They're not in it for the love of the game and they have really begun to take the piss in the past few years. Every 2yo newcomer in a maiden is given a school and you simply couldn't back any of their horses on their reappearance because the vast majority of them aren't even half fit and will be tenderly handled by the jockey. Fame And Glory in the Alleged Stakes last year being the prime example. Recital, Misty For Me and Zoffany this season all improved out of all recognition on their second starts and St Nicholas Abbey is now a Coronation Cup winner after being stuffed by a Triumph Hurdle runner up on his reappearance! When Vincent was training all of his string were primed to win first time out and ironically enough the Turf Club were never off his case.

The authorities in both the UK and Ireland are scared shitless of taking them to task but the small trainer who attempts to pull a stroke in a nothing race at some gaff track will be made an example out of.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Muzz

Anyone any thoughts on Grand Crus tomorrow in the French Champion Hurdle? Change of jockey with AP on board so must be taking it serious!

beer baron

Quote from: Muzz on June 17, 2011, 10:53:47 PM
Anyone any thoughts on Grand Crus tomorrow in the French Champion Hurdle? Change of jockey with AP on board so must be taking it serious!

Don't have a clue about the race but don't take the jockey change as a sign of intent because i think Scudamore's still injured so Pipe would normally book Mc Coy for  rides!

Muzz

Forgot about Scudamore's injury so makes sense with the jockey change.  Mini-world hurdle with the exception of Big Bucks.  5/4 at present with 7/2 2nd Favourite Bel la vie.  Might try my luck on him anyways.

Any fancies today then with all this rain having come down?  Delegator already pulled due to the ground.  Await the Dawn still a fancy?

boojangles

Quote from: Muzz on June 18, 2011, 12:17:53 PM
Forgot about Scudamore's injury so makes sense with the jockey change.  Mini-world hurdle with the exception of Big Bucks.  5/4 at present with 7/2 2nd Favourite Bel la vie.  Might try my luck on him anyways.

Any fancies today then with all this rain having come down?  Delegator already pulled due to the ground.  Await the Dawn still a fancy?

Await the Dawn won its maiden on Soft ground. But whether 4/6 is value I don't know.

Muzz

I done him earlier in the week at evens.  Suppose a small price winner is better than a big priced loser so regardless as long as he wins itd be better than a kick in the dick

Candyman

After so many supposed "good things" getting turned over this week I'll prob go with an e/w shot at a big price!! ALTHOUGH... I will wait on word from thee great one DH ;-)

Candyman

Maybe & Await the Dawn Double paid 9/2!!