The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridge fan

gimlis return worth a few quid in the last @ gowran

bridge fan

Donnellys Hollow

Charlie Swan's Aintree hope One Cool Cookie had to be put down this morning
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

the greatest jockey

real article, quito de la roque at limerick tomorrow and glor na mara, jumbo rio at the curragh

Donnellys Hollow

I've been a big fan of Last Instalment since he won the p2p bumper by the length of the Fairyhouse straight last Easter. He could be a hell of a chaser in time. Should be an e/w price against Lios A Choill (JP has bought him from Jackie Mullins) and The Real Article who may need the run. The two bumpers tomorrow are fascinating contests. DK thinks very highly of Waaheb and he's got a great record in this race. Cash And Go won the 4yo bumper at Thurles that always throws up a useful animal and he's very well bred himself being related to Catch Me. The Rockview bumper at the Curragh looks very competitive. I think the best bumper horses in Ireland will be on show tomorrow. The crop we sent to Cheltenham were useless.

Notable Graduate is an interesting runner at the Curragh. He's a brother to both Refuse To Bend and Media Puzzle. St Nicholas Abbey will be watched with interest expecially considering the 'ride' Fame And Glory received in this same race last year.

Donnellys Hollow

Waaheb is a serious animal. I'll be smashing into him for the Champion Bumper at Punchestown. I think he'll have too many gears for Samain who galloped them into the ground at the Curragh yesterday. Last Instalment completed a good day for Gigginstown. He should be a serious tool over a fence next year.

St Nicholas Abbey was a big disappointment at hq. Might be a bit premature to put a line through him but he's no superstar. Unaccompanied and Lolly For Dolly are two fierce likeable mares. The 3yo maiden looked a very strong contest. I'd say that race will work out very well and the first four or five home are worth following.

beer baron

Dh my good man,or any of the rest of you boys that know your racing,am i mad in the head for thinking of backing hello bud in the grand national at 13 years of age?
I've already got a few pound on backstage at decent prices but won't be backing him again at the prices currently available!I've just watched last years National (5th)and also the Becher chase which hello bud won and in both he jumped impeccably,i'd expect him to get out in front and bowl along avoiding trouble in behind and he obviously stays seeing as he finished last year after being up with the pace all round,any thoughts?
Anyone i've been talking to is teling me not a hope a 13 year old will win but after running so well in November he can't have gone down hill that rapidly can he?I know he was plled up last time out but i presume that was just to blow out the cobwebs  :-\

Donnellys Hollow

I wouldn't write off any horse for the National and Hello Bud has solid claims (good course form and Scottish National winner so proven stamina on fast ground). He's a bit high in the handicap for my liking though and I'd prefer to stick to a more unexposed type.

Backstage is an interesting one. Hard to guage what the worth of his form is given that his recent runs have been in p2ps. Elliot is a genius though as he proved at Cheltenham.

Candyman

Limerick 5.45

Secret Hero (e/w)

Don't Shoot the messenger...  :-X

Groucho

Quote from: Candyman on April 05, 2011, 03:50:27 PM
Limerick 5.45

Secret Hero (e/w)

Don't Shoot the messenger...  :-X

5:45 - Limerick

6 Mrs Batt 9/1
9 Legendary Times 10/1
3 Landsdowne 14/1
12 Captain James 14/1
16 Ran

Keep away from those optics :D

I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

The Worker

Anyone (DH?!!) got any fancies for the Aintree festival?

Donnellys Hollow

Always best to take it fairly easy at Aintree. Very hard track to read and always throws up some funny results.

Big Bucks looks bombproof and the 4/7 available for tomorrow looks very tempting although such a bet wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. I'd be avoiding Denman like the plague tomorrow. Wouldn't surprise me if the mare turns them all over.

Spirit Son ran as green as the grass when he came under pressure at Cheltenham yet still only found one horse too good. I think he'll gain compensation on Friday. Bobs Worth should give Henderson and Geraghty a novice hurdle double in the three miler.

Saturday looks a great card but I'm not sure there's any great punting opportunities. Finians Rainbow didn't get up the hill in the Arkle but he could just jump them silly from the front around Liverpool. The Aintree Hurdle even without Quevega and Hurricane Fly still looks a cracker. I wouldn't be rushing down the bookies to back either Binocular or Peddlers Cross, Oscar Whiskey looks a good e/w alternative. He surprised me in the Champion Hurdle. Looking forward to seeing how Allure Of Illusion gets on in the bumper. They swerved Cheltenham because the gruelling nature of that race was unlikely to suit. He possesses plenty of speed so Aintree should be ideal.

maddog

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 06, 2011, 11:41:35 AM
Always best to take it fairly easy at Aintree. Very hard track to read and always throws up some funny results.

Big Bucks looks bombproof and the 4/7 available for tomorrow looks very tempting although such a bet wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. I'd be avoiding Denman like the plague tomorrow. Wouldn't surprise me if the mare turns them all over.

Spirit Son ran as green as the grass when he came under pressure at Cheltenham yet still only found one horse too good. I think he'll gain compensation on Friday. Bobs Worth should give Henderson and Geraghty a novice hurdle double in the three miler.

Saturday looks a great card but I'm not sure there's any great punting opportunities. Finians Rainbow didn't get up the hill in the Arkle but he could just jump them silly from the front around Liverpool. The Aintree Hurdle even without Quevega and Hurricane Fly still looks a cracker. I wouldn't be rushing down the bookies to back either Binocular or Peddlers Cross, Oscar Whiskey looks a good e/w alternative. He surprised me in the Champion Hurdle. Looking forward to seeing how Allure Of Illusion gets on in the bumper. They swerved Cheltenham because the gruelling nature of that race was unlikely to suit. He possesses plenty of speed so Aintree should be ideal.

What would you view be on Our Monty maybe in the Topham if he doesnt make cut for the national, been off the track for a while but looked progressive before

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: maddog on April 06, 2011, 12:26:26 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 06, 2011, 11:41:35 AM

What would you view be on Our Monty maybe in the Topham if he doesnt make cut for the national, been off the track for a while but looked progressive before

He's guaranteed to sneak into the National now AFAIK. Probably would be better off in the Topham but I think they have Scotsirish in that. Hard to see him staying 4m4. The Cork National that he won down at Mallow was run at an absolute crawl from what I can remember.

Radda bout yeee

When are odds available for all races at aintree? Wanted to look at odds for doing a lucky 15 or better over the festival for interest but can't get odds for some of the races!