The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady GAA GAA

Quote from: Lecale2 on July 18, 2010, 01:20:06 PM
Thanks a million Beer Barron!!

I haven't backed a winner in 3 months and the rent is due on Wednesday. I stuck my last £120 on it at 11/8.

jaysus you're a quare tit gurning about that. Long may your bad run continue.

muppet

Quote from: 13aside on July 14, 2010, 03:33:57 PM
After Dawn Run had won the gold cup alarm was spread when the cup went missing only to turn up a day or so later stashed away in a cupboard-think the owner or staff might have been at the sherry!!

I heard this story from the horse's mouth ( ::)) who was closely related to the owner of Dawn Run.

Apparently while plastered he saw the Cup on a table in a room full of people that he didn't know (he could hardly see at that stage of celebrations). So he decided to put the Cup away for safe keeping and went to bed. Next day it was reported missing and this brought Gardai and media en masse to investigate. Of course our man had no recollection of the night before so it remained 'missing'.

A couple of days later he had a flashback and remembered putting it in a cupboard and when he checked of course there it was.
MWWSI 2017

winsamsoon

Nice wee reversal tonight at wexford lads it was nearly singing in the street time :-[ :-[
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

RealSpiritof98

boojangles

Donnelly me auld flower is Workforce worth backing at even money 2mrw?

Donnellys Hollow

He's not for me Booj. Strictly on the book he looks good and evs is big enough but Stoutey's form over the past week has been very indifferent. The Epsom Derby was a funny race this year (pacemaker coming home second) and you'd have to question the standard of the 3yos. That said the older brigade look equally poor - Harbinger has improved but you wouldn't have put him within two stone of Sea The Stars last season. Surely he can't have improved that much? I'd have taken a chance on the French filly had the 8 lined up but I see two have withdrawn so that leaves only two places. I'd expect Workforce to be heavily backed so if you fancy the evs take it now.

I'm probably being overly cautious because I've not really been punting on the flat much this year. Might have one for the Galway Hurdle at a big price but I'm going to be keeping my powder dry for the NH proper in the Autumn.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

winsamsoon

A few boyo's round the town talking up the chances of nicanor at Galway (not for me ) so it has a chance lol just out of loyalty i am sticking with truckers delight e/w at 20/1

Spirit i had a few bob on B Geraghty tonight at wexford in the 8.35 on board old hall (5/2) came to win the race only to be eclipsed on the line by a 25/1 shot. Called the computer everything and Geraghty got a fair bit of abuse aswell lol only to hear the glowing news that the result had be reversed by the stewards. God bless them  ;)
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

boojangles

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 24, 2010, 12:21:28 AM
He's not for me Booj. Strictly on the book he looks good and evs is big enough but Stoutey's form over the past week has been very indifferent. The Epsom Derby was a funny race this year (pacemaker coming home second) and you'd have to question the standard of the 3yos. That said the older brigade look equally poor - Harbinger has improved but you wouldn't have put him within two stone of Sea The Stars last season. Surely he can't have improved that much? I'd have taken a chance on the French filly had the 8 lined up but I see two have withdrawn so that leaves only two places. I'd expect Workforce to be heavily backed so if you fancy the evs take it now.

I'm probably being overly cautious because I've not really been punting on the flat much this year. Might have one for the Galway Hurdle at a big price but I'm going to be keeping my powder dry for the NH proper in the Autumn.

Cheers Donnelly. I'm in 2 minds but the more I look at it the value may be in Cape Blanco. If Murtagh was on him he would be probably 7-2 or 4-1.

beer baron

Any of you in the know know if there's a final declaration stage for the Galway plate tomorrow?I've ben told to back the moon and sixpence before tomorrow evening because odds will slash.......

Donnellys Hollow

Final decs on Tuesday around 11 o'clock

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 24, 2010, 12:21:28 AM

Only watched this race now after being in Croke Park yesterday.

Is Harbinger that good?
Workforce - below par yesterday or just the winner of a poor Derby?
That race produced more questions than answers.

It's been a thoroughly unsatisfactory flat season for me and this compounds it. A line through the normally reliable Youmzain suggests that Harbinger is something of a freak. 7/4 for the Arc though? I'm not so sure. I find it hard to believe a horse that gets beat six lengths by a moderate filly in High Heeled less than a year ago is suddenly the second coming of Pegasus. I don't know about Workforce either. Visually his Derby was oustanding but I thought at the time it might have been a very poor (almost Shergaresque) renewal. He probably was below par yesterday but I'm not sure he completely bombed either - Cape Blanco did confirm the Dante form after all. Surely they all can't have run below form.

I think Fame And Glory now represents a knocking e/w bet for the Arc at 5/1. He'll have a prep at the Curragh for the Champion Stakes at Leopardstown and then Aidan will prime him for Paris.

I wonder if St Nicholas Abbey will be back? He's among the Leger entries so he obviously hasn't fallen completely off the face of the earth.

bridge fan

have a few quid e/w on ask jack in the 7-00 galway 14-1

Catch the high ball

Quote from: bridge fan on July 27, 2010, 03:15:01 PM

I was there last year when he won by the closest of margins on the last day, seems to like the place, tasty looking price, worth a fiver each way.
GAA Board World Cup Sweepstake Winner 2010

haranguerer

good man - threw a coupla quid e/w on it

gerrykeegan

Quote from: haranguerer on July 27, 2010, 07:05:58 PM

good man - threw a coupla quid e/w on it

Excellent stuck a fiver at 12's, happy days
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)