The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Fair play DH, had a nice double on CBB and QV. I dont have internet at work these days so im surviving on evening rations!

Donnellys Hollow

Fairly easy this Punchestown lark.  ;)

That Quevega is some mare. The best Mullins trained mare since Dawn Run. Townend didn't even touch her with the stick. If they do go down the Stayers Hurdle route next year I wouldn't back against her beating Big Bucks. The roar that went up from the stands turning in today was Danoli like!

Captain Cee Bee I think proved he is the best two mile novice chaser around. There was some scrum in the betting ring when a few brave souls layed 5/1. It was a pity what happened at Cheltenham but some horses just bleed on occasions. You can't predict it and there's no telling whether it would happen if he ran there again. I would be half tempted to put him away now until January or February and just give him a spin somewhere before a tilt at the Champion Chase. On a line through Sizing Europe, he doesn't have too much to find.

Bishopsfurze rounded the day off nicely. The Mullins' bandwagon rolls on. He'll make a nice middle-distance novice next year.

I've a grand bank for the Guineas weekend now and I'll be keeping my powder dry tomorrow. If you need a bet in that Champion Hurdle to keep an interest then there's something wrong with you. Sit back and enjoy what will be the best hurdle race this year. I should probably back Dunguib after following him all year but I can accept now that I overrated our novices. He'll be ridden differently tomorrow I suspect. I can see Brian having him handy and trying to kick on two out. Whether he'd have won at Cheltenham ridden like that, who knows? He'd certainly have gone close. Hurricane Fly looked like Golden Cygnet reincarnated last season and he surely must be close to his best if Willie is running him. He roughed off Mikael D'Haguenet & Fiveforthree early enough in the season so Hurricane Fly must be showing plenty at home. Solwhit, Punjabi and Voler La Vedette all have claims too on some of their form. If I had to pick one I'd stick with Mullins/Townend given their form and go with Hurricane Fly. I just hope we see something special tomorrow and I think we just might.

The novice hurdle looks a weak enough renewal. Luska Lad would probably be good enough if he handles this quicker ground. Reve De Sivola ran a cracker at Cheltenham behind Peddlers Cross but I'm not sure if this quicker ground will suit. He's not a great jumper and I think his future lies over further.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Mickey Linden

Thats an unreal performance today DH. Fair play. Im heading down tomorrow myself. Think ill have a few quid on Huricane Fly it what looks like a cracker. Looking forward to a good days racing anyhow!

Aaron Boone

I know a girl intent on going tomorrow to win Ladies Day. She was on Grafton Street after work this evening buying those final touches. Horses weren't part of the equation.

Louth Exile

Heading down today as well with the healthiest balance that I have ever had in a betting account! But how will we all fair out with no NAP from Donnelly? Well the craic is always good anyway and there is enough of a war chest there that even if I don't have a winner today, still well for the week.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

sammymaguire

thats a nice story Louth, have a good day.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

armagho9

Got a tip for Ballybough Roy in first race at Punchestown.  Think has been passed along a few people, so f**k knows where it started.  Certainly wouldnt go too mad on it.

Donnellys Hollow

Great race. Thought Russell gave Solwhit a smashing ride. I was sure he'd nicked it kicking off the bend. This Hurricane Fly is some horse though. Given that was only his second race out of novice company. Given a proper prep it should be some scrap between himself and Binocular next year.

Hard to know what to make of Dunguib now. I've praised Fenton all year but I just don't get why they ride him like that. They rode him positively as a bumper horse so I don't know what's changed over hurdles. He didn't settle in behind so maybe they'd be better off letting him lob along up front on a loose reign. I said it after Cheltenham, you have to ride these NH bred positively. If you're looking to outspeed the likes of Hurricane Fly you're going to be chasing rainbows. Hurricane Fly has form on the flat with 10f Group 1 horses like Literato and Lawman. Dunguib is a bumper horse who is bred to stay much further than two miles................ novice chasing next year?

Hardy

What a race. There are few better thrills in sport than watching something like that. It's great to be able to enjoy it as sport when you don't have a bet on it. I thought Paul had blown it coming away from the last, but he didn't panic and obviously had every confidence in the horse.

Donnellys Hollow

Sets it up beautifully for next year. Binocular wins the Fighting Fifth and the Christmas Hurdle. Hurricane Fly wins the Morgiana and the AIG. The showdown then at Cheltenham:

McCoy v Walsh
Henderson v Mullins
Ireland v England

We can only dream!

Donnellys Hollow

He has only gone and done it again!

Keep 'em coming Willie. Allez Garde in the concluding bumper - 3/1 into 13/8

T O Hare

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 23, 2010, 06:57:31 PM
He has only gone and done it again!

Keep 'em coming Willie. Allez Garde in the concluding bumper - 3/1 into 13/8

Heard strong word for Allez Garde as well!!! 5/4 now
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Treasurer

Not a bad day, couldn't decide between Niconar and Otay Kawn, so backed them both, and had Arvika as well, so in small profit overall.  Dunguib was the one let me down for the placepot, which would have been nice.  I was hoping to see him do it for Brian O'Connell's sake but great to see Hurricane Fly back in form and what a race.

Only downside of the day was the number of times I managed to find my toes under the stiletto heels of some young "lady" - although the risk was less as the day wore on and they switched to limping around in bare feet :)

Mickey Linden

think twist magic is a good thing today. He will be overpriced too due to him not racing the other day. Nicholls will have him right today!

Donnellys Hollow

Give someone else a chance Willie - this is getting embarrasing!

That Tarla looks a nice mare. I've a feeling she might open the door for Quevega to take on the stayers. Interesting times ahead.

I've been busy reinvesting some of the Punchestown profits on St Nicholas Abbey both for next Saturday and for Epsom. Stan James are a standout 13/8 and that won't last long. The Coolmore lads will be pileing in this week and I can see him going off 4/5. They'll hit the jackpot if they can get a son of Montjeu to win a Guineas over a mile so I can't see Aidan leaving him short. If you told me before Doncaster he'd win a Guineas I'd have laughed at you but I honestly can't pick a horse in that field that will beat him. Elusive Pimpernel ran the best trial in the Craven but St Nick beat him hands and heels off a sedate pace by 4L at Doncaster.