The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

I'd normally go to a few around Kildare. The ones in Naas and Maynooth are usually good nights. How much punters gain from them, I don't know, but they're usually decent craic and you ocassionally get a few decent nuggets of information. Tom Taaffe told everyone at the Maynooth one a few years ago that Kicking King was back in work and would make the Gold Cup, this was when he was available at mammoth prices on the exchanges. Needless to say, there was a mass exodus from the room with everyone desperately ringing up their bookmaker to get on.

I doubt the details have been released for many of them yet but Racing Post website and the Irish Field usually post up the dates, times and venues around the start of March.

Oliver Brady's one up in Monaghan is the stuff of legend at this stage. Chapman, Weld, Frank Berry, Tony Martin all lined up for this year apparently. Any one with Tony Mullins and Davy Russell on the panel is going to be an entertaining night!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

sammymaguire

Rationing 4.30 Eagle Owl 4.40 my late e.w double today (fancies)

one good winner, one loser...  >:(  >:(
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

RealSpiritof98

checked 15 pages there for the football bets page but cant see it, so i'll stick it up here:

Leeds 10/11
linfield evs
Gillingham evs
Shrewsbury 8/11
Dungannon 7/5

beer baron

iv got 5 up on  a 7 match accy-waitig on utd and spurs tomoro-if they come up think it wrks out near 50/1 :)

sammymaguire

c'mon lads, this is horse racing NOT football!!

1.45 Jack Black Blues is fit and ready and should be very hard to beat
3.00 Present Gesture is fancied by the elliott yard / gold reef is a danger...
3.30 Beautiful Vision is another with high hopes
4.20 Sharekan should go close if it can repeat its last run
4.30-Bob Hall is expected to win 
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

sammymaguire

we'll call that a VERY good day  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

armagho9

Quote from: sammymaguire on February 10, 2010, 01:22:57 PM
c'mon lads, this is horse racing NOT football!!

1.45 Jack Black Blues is fit and ready and should be very hard to beat
3.00 Present Gesture is fancied by the elliott yard / gold reef is a danger...
3.30 Beautiful Vision is another with high hopes
4.20 Sharekan should go close if it can repeat its last run
4.30-Bob Hall is expected to win

i have been a regular viewer to this forum and especially this thread, i have to say you seem to know your stuff.  (was having problems getting on to post which is why i am stuck with an old and not very original user name).  I was going to back that Sharekan each way at 13-2 after i seen your earlier strike rate.  Going to  ::)

sammymaguire

thanks armagh, its hit and miss, no guarantees in this game but I have some good contacts spread around UK and Ireland so today most things that was supposed to happen did and I had time to stick it on here too...  ;D
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

armagho9

i am a keen follower of horse racing, my knowledge would not be anywhere near that of some of the people on here but it does not stop me having a punt. 

bamboo

Sammy, much the same as armagh09 here, long time lurker etc.

Backed your last 3 picks today at £20 to win on each, 3 singles. Needless to say i'm a happy man!!

I backed both your tips yesterday and also won a few quid so thank you again.

Massey-135

'sake sammy i'm a curse on you, today i backed none of your tips and you'd a great day. i hate the horses.

sprinter

Dunguib would start next month's Champion Hurdle as favourite, should connections have a change of heart and pitch the exciting seven-year-old in against the best. That is the view of William Hill's senior odds compiler, Mike Bellamy, who said he would make Dunguib the 4-1 favourite.

"The current market leaders all have questions still to answer with the exception of Zaynar who just hasn't been as visually impressive as Dunguib," said Bellamy. "He looks a machine, we know he can do it at Cheltenham, and he'd attract all of the Irish money."

Asked the same question, Ladbrokes said they would quote 5-1 and Coral 6-1.

All three firms would be celebrating were Dunguib rerouted away from the Supreme Novice Hurdle, with all reporting him to be a six-figure loser. Ladbrokes, in particular, went out on a limb at a marketplace-best even-money which they held for 24 hours after the horse's victory at Leopardstown on Sunday, while Coral laid him at 6-1 immediately after his win in last year's Championship Bumper.

The ebb and flow over Dunguib's price for the Champion Hurdle with Betfair has been fascinating to watch. His price was down to 16-1 before trainer Philip Fenton gave a live television interview last Friday, prompting speculation that a change of plan was about to be announced. Minutes later, his price was four times as big. He then traded even lower at just 13-1 immediately after his victory on Sunday, but was out to 84-1 the following morning.

Fenton has not categorically stated that Dunguib will not run in the Champion. "It's not on the agenda," was Fenton's comment after Sunday's race. Having turned down reported seven-figure offers for Dunguib, his owners have shown they want to live the dream. And with the likes of Alderbrook and Royal Gait having shown that raw talent can be more important than jumping experience in the Champion Hurdle, it's surely not too late for them to see if the dream can come true this year.

If I owned him I would go for the Champion he defo would have a great chance. I was thinking today maybe his owners have serious money on at anti post prices and that might put them off. what is the difference between the price money for the  Supreme Novice Hurdle and teh Champion.

looks like the english media and the industry are pushing for him to run in Champion. Could it be an other case of Jim Bolger derby horse New Approach. 

If JP owned him i think they would be going for the Champion.

interesting times   

RealSpiritof98

its some dilemma for the owners, on one hand threy can go for a certain 2 in a row festival victory or stick the neck out and go for a blue ribbon championship event, I would not like to be on him ante post for the supreme because what the media want the usually get. I think the best horses should run in the best races

Donnellys Hollow

Fenton is no fool lads. He has said from day one that the horse will be aimed at the Supreme. The horse is a box-walker and the last thing he wants to do is over faze him.

Sure novices have won the race before. But what did Royal Gait, Alderbrook or Make A Stand do afterwards? SFA

The difference between them and Dunguib is that they all had plenty of experience from the flat. They were all at their peak running in the Champion Hurdle. Dunguib is a pure NH bred and is still improving and learning his trade.

You only need to look at the first line of the article posted by sprinter to see where this is coming from:

Quote from: sprinter on February 11, 2010, 10:17:59 AM
That is the view of William Hill's senior odds compiler, Mike Bellamy, who said he would make Dunguib the 4-1 favourite.

The bookies have massive ante-post liabilities on Dunguib. It would be all their Christmasses come at once if he didn't run. I'd expect to see plenty of bookies shortening him up for the Champion over the next few weeks in order to try and con a few people into backing him. Don't listen to a word of it - the horse will line up in the first race.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

RealSpiritof98

When does the market open for the CH 2011, or is it open already, might be worth a few bob for next year, although a lot can happen between now and then, he will almost certainly be shorter after the festival.