The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

touch skinny for me HD with some decent horses in that one, but if it runs at 70% that might be enough o win.... I might opt for a few shillings each way on Trafford Lad
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Managed to get some 11/4. Think Trafford needs further. He's being prepped for the Hennessey today.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Donnellys Hollow

Won fairly cosily in the end. Both Trafford Lad and Joncol ran cracking races over a trip that would be far too short for them. Two to keep an eye on next time out.

Making Ollie Magern my only other bet of the day in the Charlie Hall.

I hear Paul Carberry failed a breathalyser test prior to racing. Sure a pissed Carberry is still better than most jockeys!  ;D

TacadoirArdMhacha

The Great one not heading to Down Royal  :( Disappointed - would have loved to go this year.

From sportinglife.com

KAUTO HEADING FOR HAYDOCK

Kauto Star looks set to make his seasonal reappearance in the Betfair Chase at Haydock on November 21 after connections ruled out bidding for a second JNwine.com Champion Chase at Down Royal next weekend.

Paul Nicholls' dual Cheltenham Gold Cup hero took in both races last season but the Ditcheat handler has indicated that he wants to give his charge a lighter campaign this time around.

Owner Clive Smith said: "All being well we're going to go to Haydock with him.

"The horse is fine and in good shape and all being well, Haydock is on the agenda."
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

They're running scared of Notre Pere!

I think this is a serious error from Nicholls. He said after the Gold Cup that Kauto Star will only have three runs this year (Down Royal/Haydock, Kempton, Cheltenham). He's stressed time and time again that the horse needs to be fresh. If he ran him next week he'd have an extra two weeks to get him ready for Kempton. Now he could potentially have a tough race at Haydock and they'd only have four weeks to get him ready for the King George.

I think Nicholls is worried that most of his string are running like goats so far this season. He's hoping that the extra fortnight will see his horses come back into some sort of form.

maddog

Did anyone see Barry Geraghty on My Petra at Wetherby. Was waiting on this for a 4 timer. My Petra comes cruising round the bend and im thinking, could be the christmas paid for here, and what does Geraghty do - goes up the chase course instead of the hurdles. Docket in the bin. Hope he gets a lengthy ban for it.

Hardy

I understand your frustration, maddog, but in fairness to him, the layout was ridiculous.The natural thing to do is stay on the rail. The way they had it set up, you had to know and keep in mind that you had to veer over onto the other course after the turn in. Very easy to forget if you're not familiar with the course, as he probably isn't. They should have had a temporary rail or doll-off to direct the field onto the proper course.

I'd see it as a case of the jockey getting it in the neck for the course management's screw-up. You can be sure they won't be fined or banned.

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: Hardy on November 02, 2009, 11:28:15 AM
I understand your frustration, maddog, but in fairness to him, the layout was ridiculous.The natural thing to do is stay on the rail. The way they had it set up, you had to know and keep in mind that you had to veer over onto the other course after the turn in. Very easy to forget if you're not familiar with the course, as he probably isn't. They should have had a temporary rail or doll-off to direct the field onto the proper course.

I'd see it as a case of the jockey getting it in the neck for the course management's screw-up. You can be sure they won't be fined or banned.

Was on him myself. I'd say it is more to do that he was too familiar with the course and had forgotten about the changes...

Got some stick in the ring and I can understand that... Was an honest mistake - but when it costs people alot of money, I can understand the annoyance. As much as a jockey will take the applaudits when he wins, he should take the stick when he has a ride like that. Which he did

Maroon Heaven

In relation to Down Royal -

QuoteForpadydeplasterer is being re-routed to Down Royal next weekend for his seasonal debut after being a late withdrawal from Naas on Saturday because the ground was too soft.

That means the Ladbrokes.com Chase over two and a half miles in Northern Ireland will be the scene of his return to action.

Trainer Tom Cooper wants to get a prep run into last season's Arkle Trophy hero ahead of the Tingle Creek Chase at Sandown on December 5.

"It's Down Royal for him next week now. He's rocking. He did really well over the summer," said the Tralee handler.

"This will just be a prep run for the Tingle Creek. I didn't run him yesterday because of the ground but next week's race at Down Royal still fits in nicely with it."

Also just a note on Hobb's Like Minded who ran in Kempton earlier... Walsh didn't ride, opened up at 1.8 on BF - went out to 2.00 and traded into 1.62 at the off. Money was on it and ran a blinder. Good horse and worth keeping an eye on in teh run up to C'ham.

Slip was also out today and had a mare of a race. Hopefully he was lame or just out to stretch his legs. I had high hope for this horse fto

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: maddog on November 02, 2009, 11:19:46 AM
Did anyone see Barry Geraghty on My Petra at Wetherby. Was waiting on this for a 4 timer. My Petra comes cruising round the bend and im thinking, could be the christmas paid for here, and what does Geraghty do - goes up the chase course instead of the hurdles. Docket in the bin. Hope he gets a lengthy ban for it.

12 days I think.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 02, 2009, 02:29:05 PM

12 days I think.

Barry fecked up but in fairness to the guy he held his hands up when interviewed by Channel 4 later on.

As Hardy says the course layout was a joke. In Ireland the hurdle track is usually on the inner with the chase track on the outer. In England its normally the other way round. Wetherby should have dolled off the chase track with a false portable rail like they do at Cheltenham. When you've you're head down riding half a tonne of horseflesh at 30mph it is very easy to make a mistake like that.

The 12 day ban is ridiculously harsh IMO. I think Barry's being punished for the fact that the race was broadcast live on a Saturday on Channel 4. Had it happened on a run of the mill midweek card at Newton Abbot or Exeter he'd have got 4-5 days max. He's now going to miss the Paddy Power, the Morgiana and plenty of other good cards. The punishment doesn't fit the crime at all.

The people who booed and jeered him coming back to the ring and afterwards when he was getting the leg-up on Church Island need a good slap. I can understand their fustration but NH jockeys risk their lives on a daily basis for minimal reward in comparison to other elite sports. Barry will win on plenty he shouldn't win on before the season is out and punters should remember that.

sammymaguire

HEAR HEAR DH, I too was on My Petra (as I was with Emerson Breeze on Fri night when D Byrne fell off on a flat race) and was cursing my luck and glad that the racing was a wash out yesterday as I had lost enough on Friday and Sat... and Geraghty did not deserve the abuse he got for that mistake and you could see when he realised what had happened on Saturday how annoyed he was cos he knew the race was there for the winning... he'll bounce back and should appeal the 12 days imo
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Aerlik

Shocking won the Melbourne Cup today.  Great reace.. All the favourites were outclassed.  11-1.  Two Irish horses came second and third, and Master O'Reilly came fourth.  Heard talk of a punter in Perth who had all 4 in a row.  85,000-1.  Might be the usual rumour.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

sammymaguire

bobby bullock @ chepstow

paddy live + floraline @ warwick

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

boojangles

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 02, 2009, 03:01:17 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 02, 2009, 02:29:05 PM

12 days I think.

Barry fecked up but in fairness to the guy he held his hands up when interviewed by Channel 4 later on.

As Hardy says the course layout was a joke. In Ireland the hurdle track is usually on the inner with the chase track on the outer. In England its normally the other way round. Wetherby should have dolled off the chase track with a false portable rail like they do at Cheltenham. When you've you're head down riding half a tonne of horseflesh at 30mph it is very easy to make a mistake like that.

The 12 day ban is ridiculously harsh IMO. I think Barry's being punished for the fact that the race was broadcast live on a Saturday on Channel 4. Had it happened on a run of the mill midweek card at Newton Abbot or Exeter he'd have got 4-5 days max. He's now going to miss the Paddy Power, the Morgiana and plenty of other good cards. The punishment doesn't fit the crime at all.

The people who booed and jeered him coming back to the ring and afterwards when he was getting the leg-up on Church Island need a good slap. I can understand their fustration but NH jockeys risk their lives on a daily basis for minimal reward in comparison to other elite sports. Barry will win on plenty he shouldn't win on before the season is out and punters should remember that.

Here here Donnelly.Barry Geraghty is one of the most honest jockeys around and you always know you will get a run for your money with him on board. IMO Carberry deserves more stick for his indiscipline than Geraghty has got.