The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

Some ride by Frankie to take the wide route early one. Would've got some stick if it hadn't come off. I suppose when you've achieved as much as him you  have to have faith in your judgement.
He'll be in some form after getting jocked off Treve last season.

Donnellys Hollow

A record that speaks for itself:

RIP Pat Eddery. One of Kildare's finest exports.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

redzone

Silvi conti is 9/1 at kempton. What Yous reckon?

beer baron

Quote from: redzone on December 26, 2015, 10:35:38 AM

Not for me, very disappointed with his run lto behind Cue Card and reapplication of blinkers can only do so much although he does usually produce his best in this race so can't be totally discounted.  Cue Card himself is undervalued to my eyes too, impresssive his 2 runs to date this season but has had his chance here a few times in weaker looking renewals and couldn't get his head in front so surprised if he wins,i think it's between Don Cossack and Vautour and Don's the one for me,i've liked him for a long time and i think he's the best staying chaser about at the minute and Vautours best will be seen in March.

INDIANA

Quote from: beer baron on December 26, 2015, 11:10:09 AM
Quote from: redzone on December 26, 2015, 10:35:38 AM

Not for me, very disappointed with his run lto behind Cue Card and reapplication of blinkers can only do so much although he does usually produce his best in this race so can't be totally discounted.  Cue Card himself is undervalued to my eyes too, impresssive his 2 runs to date this season but has had his chance here a few times in weaker looking renewals and couldn't get his head in front so surprised if he wins,i think it's between Don Cossack and Vautour and Don's the one for me,i've liked him for a long time and i think he's the best staying chaser about at the minute and Vautours best will be seen in March.

Vatour is not proven in top quality yet.

Smad Place is the dark horse. Very impressive when winning the Hennessy and more in him.

If you want to cover your bets today as best as one possibly can in National Hunt Racing just go for a Mullins treble with Don Cossack, Douvan and Faugheen.

The Trap

What about outlander at Limerick?

thewobbler

You won't have much chance of a winner at Limerick today.

redzone

Are fausgheen and douvan certs. Evens for the double. Might put 10 on them

thewobbler

Faugheen makes no appeal at 1/3 after his last run. While it was most likely down to a lack of competitive action, I can't help get the feeling that trainers will have learned something from watching that race, and a few a will try to gallop him into submission this season. If the New One can avoid even a couple of fences he might be able to do it.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: INDIANA on December 26, 2015, 11:11:55 AM
just go for a Mullins treble with Don Cossack, Douvan and Faugheen.

Has Don Cossack switched yards?  :o

Gone with Ball Darc e/w in the first at Leopardstown. I think Rashaan could be capable of defying the double penalty in the 3yo hurdle but I would expect him to be a bigger price before the off. It could be a very informative bumper today. Rare bumper runner for Mouse in the Gigginstown silks. He's a full brother to Rathlin and he won a point at Tinahely impressively despite a bad mistake at the last. He could be one for the notebook.

Faugheen has questions to answer in England today although a 75% Faugheen should still be beating The New One with a minimum of fuss. Vautour put up the most commanding novice performance seen at Cheltenham in a long time last March. I believe he's a superior horse to Don Cossack who is flattered by his lofty rating. My concern about Vautour would be whether he is as effective right handed. It has become something of a talking point post Ascot but even going back to his novice hurdle days, his two runs at Punchestown beating Western Boy in the Moscow Flyer and Apache Stronghold at the festival were nowhere near as dominant as his wins in the Deloitte and the Supreme Novices. He's becoming a tempting price now though.

beer baron

Quote from: redzone on December 26, 2015, 11:46:53 AM

Faugheen looks too good for the others but i really didn't like how he handled himself last time out when he came under pressure(first time it ever happened him) so i'd suspect someone will try go with him early today and get him at it but he should still be too good.
Couldn't back Douvan. Ttebob and Sizing John are both lovely Novices and Velvet maker the outsider is rated highly by his yard too,Douvans chasing Debut wasn't as impressive as it's been made out to be to my eyes at least,he did it nicely and jumped well on the whole but made one or 2 mistakes and his lack of experience could tell here. I've actually backed Sizing John to win that race,he looks a natural at his fences and i'll be disappointed if he doesn't go very close,people will point to Douvans superiority over hurdles but De Bromhead/Potts doesn't kill his Novice hurdlers and tends to improve them a lot for the switch to fences and he looks a natural. Here's hoping.

Donnellys Hollow

Walsh made an absolute balls of that Morgiana. He conceded he should have kicked him on down the back but I suspect he didn't want to give the horse too hard a race and it allowed David Mullins to get a breather in on the Wylie horse who had a better turn of gear being a flat bred. I wouldn't read too much into it. They won't go a muddling pace today.

INDIANA

Quote from: beer baron on December 26, 2015, 12:11:07 PM

Faugheen looks too good for the others but i really didn't like how he handled himself last time out when he came under pressure(first time it ever happened him) so i'd suspect someone will try go with him early today and get him at it but he should still be too good.
Couldn't back Douvan. Ttebob and Sizing John are both lovely Novices and Velvet maker the outsider is rated highly by his yard too,Douvans chasing Debut wasn't as impressive as it's been made out to be to my eyes at least,he did it nicely and jumped well on the whole but made one or 2 mistakes and his lack of experience could tell here. I've actually backed Sizing John to win that race,he looks a natural at his fences and i'll be disappointed if he doesn't go very close,people will point to Douvans superiority over hurdles but De Bromhead/Potts doesn't kill his Novice hurdlers and tends to improve them a lot for the switch to fences and he looks a natural. Here's hoping.

I think you've picked the wrong one. Grade 1's come down to class and in my view Sizing John hasn't got it. Had you picked Ttebob I could see the logic. I think Ttebob has a fair chance. Won on heavy ground last time out in Navan and it was only two weeks ago so his form line is strong. I agree on Douvan's debut but I think you've backed the wrong one here

beer baron

Quote from: INDIANA on December 26, 2015, 12:27:04 PM
Quote from: beer baron on December 26, 2015, 12:11:07 PM

I think you've picked the wrong one. Grade 1's come down to class and in my view Sizing John hasn't got it. Had you picked Ttebob I could see the logic. I think Ttebob has a fair chance. Won on heavy ground last time out in Navan and it was only two weeks ago so his form line is strong. I agree on Douvan's debut but I think you've backed the wrong one here

I'd give Ttebob a chance too,i'd have both SJ and TB about the same price myself and SJ is quiote a bit bigger, i find it very hard to back Puppy too which is also a factor.

Donnellys Hollow

Paul Townend has stood himself down for the day.