The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Class horse. Commentary on radio 1 was excellent for it today.

charlieTully

Quote from: beer baron on January 25, 2015, 02:55:37 PM
Hurricane fly is something else. I was thinking he's be 3rd or 4th going down the back.

wouldnt it be brilliant if he could win the champion hurdle again, will Ruby be on Faugheen or the fly?

ardchieftain

Another exhilarating performance from Hurricane Fly and a serious reception from the crowd.
Ruby said he'd leave it until the Sunday before Cheltenham before deciding who to ride in the Champion Hurdle. I don't envy him the dilemma. Faugheen may be fast but is young and for me is not the greatest of jumpers.
Un De Seaux looks like the real deal.

Donnellys Hollow

Walsh will be on Faugheen and he will win it.

Hurricane Fly is just a remarkable horse. Better than Istabraq? His dam has a number of foals yet to run. There's one by Desert King, another by Shirocco, I think there's one by Yeats and she is currently in foal to Camelot.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

beer baron

Edeymi ran a very eyecatching race in  the Pertemps qualifier over in Musselburgh  ;D I'm sure i'm not the only one to spot it mind you.

beer baron

Mc Coy to retire at the end of the season  :( I can't remember racing without him,going to be weird.

Donnellys Hollow

He will leave a huge void in national hunt racing. Such a great ambassador for the game.

redcard

Given gigginstowns record in Ireland this year is First Lieutenant not a good ew bet today.

beer baron

Quote from: redcard on February 08, 2015, 11:37:44 AM
Given gigginstowns record in Ireland this year is First Lieutenant not a good ew bet today.

I certainly wouldn't put you off backing him, his form this season isn't great but he's had excuses and if near his best is a real good animal,his 1st runs never great and then his 2nd run was on proper heavy ground,todays ground should be a lot better and there's a few at the top of the betting i wouldn't touch.
Foxrock  has had 2 tough handicaps in about 6 weeks and now steps up in class,couldn't back him today, Lord Windermere is an out and out stayer and i don't think this will be enough of a test and he's all eyes towards March anyway i think, i couldn't rule out the 2 Mullens horses but wouldn't back them with Boston Bob having Gold cup as his main target too it would appear. Carlingford Lough had a good comeback appearance and could go well. Bryan Cooper could do worse than go out and try make the running on FL because he could get an easy lead and that brings me to the one  I've backed Texas Jack e/w for a bit of value, with it looking like there's no front runner and will be less of a stamina test it'll suit him down to the ground and he ran well in this last year before tiring on the heavy ground.

Serious card all round,couple of highly regarded Juveniles in the 1st in Kalkir and Vercinetorix and the Meade horse attracting some e/w money this morning too. Then there's the Novice hurdle and the Novice chase which will both give plenty of clues for the months ahead but it's hard to have a strong opinion on the races but i do think Apache stronghold will be a lot closer to Valseur lido than in the Drinmore ealrier in the season.

beer baron

Duckquay

DH I think you had highlighted Monksland for the World Hurdle two years ago. Always an horse I've liked. Any value at 12s this year?

Donnellys Hollow

Open race and he should improve for some nice ground although he wouldn't be my idea of a bet at 12/1. He will be at least that if not much bigger odds on the day.

charlieTully

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 24, 2015, 09:55:02 PM
Open race and he should improve for some nice ground although he wouldn't be my idea of a bet at 12/1. He will be at least that if not much bigger odds on the day.

Would you fancy rock on Ruby at all in the world hurdle?

Donnellys Hollow

Noel Fehily not likely to be on board. That would put me off him.

ardchieftain

Fancy Rock on Ruby strongly but didn't realise Fehilly wasn't riding. Why's that DH?