The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Quote from: Hardy on December 28, 2012, 01:58:37 PM
I'd like to see one of the Irish contenders prove a real class act here and liven things up for the Gold Cup, but I have a bad feeling we'll be disappointed and I have a small punt on Tidal Bay.

How did Paul Carberry get that run out of Monksland there? I'm sure he must have been 50/1+ in running at the last bend.

Good call with tidal bay, didnt see the race - how did sir des champs (my gold cup hope) go ?

Donnellys Hollow

Hell of a race. Michael O'Leary will be happy. Two genuine Gold Cup contenders. Sir Des Champs will improve for the better ground and extra trip at Cheltenham and I can't see him jumping that badly come the big day. Great day for Graham Wylie but I don't see him as a potential Gold Cup horse. Would be interesting if he went in the Stayers Hurdle.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

Quote from: maddog on December 28, 2012, 03:19:49 PM
I'd like to see one of the Irish contenders prove a real class act here and liven things up for the Gold Cup, but I have a bad feeling we'll be disappointed and I have a small punt on Tidal Bay.

How did Paul Carberry get that run out of Monksland there? I'm sure he must have been 50/1+ in running at the last bend.

Good call with tidal bay, didnt see the race - how did sir des champs (my gold cup hope) go ?
Sir Des Champs fourth, but it was really a blanket finish and any of them could have won with luck. Ruby got a run from nowhere out of Tidal bay in the last 100 yards and was lucky enough to find a gap as well, though you could say he showed up the staying weaknesses of the others. Sir Des Champs looked to be struggling far out but looked more a stayer than Flemenstar in the way he kept on off the bridle. Flemenstar was cruising all the way to the last, where he led by a few, but emptied on the run-in. First Lieutenant looked strong all through and confirmed his price undervalued his Hennessy performance.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hardy on December 28, 2012, 03:28:23 PM

Sir Des Champs fourth, but it was really a blanket finish and any of them could have won with luck. Ruby got a run from nowhere out of Tidal bay in the last 100 yards and was lucky enough to find a gap as well, though you could say he showed up the staying weaknesses of the others. Sir Des Champs looked to be struggling far out but looked more a stayer than Flemenstar in the way he kept on off the bridle. Flemenstar was cruising all the way to the last, where he led by a few, but emptied on the run-in. First Lieutenant looked strong all through and confirmed his price undervalued his Hennessy performance.

Ted was saying that he thought Sir Des Champs didn't look as tight as some of the other runners and I would expect him to leave that form behind next time out (Hennessy probably). Jumping has to improve but he put in a super round on good ground at Cheltenham last year so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Flemenstar just emptied in the last half furlong. It's probably a bit harsh to say he didn't stay considering he's only beaten a length but it's hard to see him winning the Gold Cup. He's still a young horse and he should see out three miles well in time but I would drop him back in trip this season and then look to step him up again when he strengthens up a bit more (similar to what Twiston-Davies did with Imperial Commander). They could ruin him by running in it this year but Gold Cup in 2014 should be on his agenda.

Sea The Stars

It worked out well for Tidal Bay with the two horses giving him something to chase after the last, and then the gap opening up. He really is an enigma but an exceptionally talented horse with a serious engine. It helped that the others got tired too. Of the three closest to him at the finish, I think First Lieutenant must get a lot of credit. He did really well on ground I expected he would hate. Sir Des Champs didn't travel the best but ran on past beaten horses and then started motoring after the last - a bit like Tidal Bay. Flemenstar you would say got a little bit tired and a combination of the trip and ground took their toll. I wouldn't write him off but I'd take others out of the race before him. Hidden Cyclone's jumping was a bit erratic- that was the most disheartening thing about his performance and Pandorama was the first beat today probably not the horse he was. Whether Ireland have something good enough to beat the likes of Long Run, Bobs Worth and Silviniaco Conti is probably debatable. I personally would take First Lieutenant on good ground above everything bar maybe his old foe Bobs Worth. With the blanket finish today, and the tight finish in the King George as well as the absence of Silviniaco Conti and Bobs Worth over the Christmas, it makes for an exciting build up to March.

Hardy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 28, 2012, 03:35:48 PM
Quote from: Hardy on December 28, 2012, 03:28:23 PM

Ted was saying that he thought Sir Des Champs didn't look as tight as some of the other runners and I would expect him to leave that form behind next time out (Hennessy probably). Jumping has to improve but he put in a super round on good ground at Cheltenham last year so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Flemenstar just emptied in the last half furlong. It's probably a bit harsh to say he didn't stay considering he's only beaten a length but it's hard to see him winning the Gold Cup. He's still a young horse and he should see out three miles well in time but I would drop him back in trip this season and then look to step him up again when he strengthens up a bit more (similar to what Twiston-Davies did with Imperial Commander). They could ruin him by running in it this year but Gold Cup in 2014 should be on his agenda.

I don't know if Peter Casey has the sense to make that decision. He was talking some nonsense afterwards, saying they would have done better to force the pace, which is a strange conclusion to take from the fact that he was stuck for stamina after an easy tow around.

beer baron

I kind of agree with Casey,Lynch was pulling the head off Flemenstar at times to try ensure he got the trip,if he had let him bowl along he might have had a bit more energy left come the last furlong or so. :-\

Donnellys Hollow

It's an interesting one. I posted yesterday that they should ride him as if he is going to get 3 miles but Lynch dropped him in. Maybe if he had ridden him a bit handier he might have relaxed a bit more. I'm not sure if it would have made too much difference because it's nigh on impossible to find a window to get a breather in during a Grade 1 at Leopardstown. A few judges were saying he should have held onto him a bit longer but to my eyes Lynch had to kick when he did. He looks an ideal horse for the Ryanair this season and then train him for the Gold Cup next year when he should be a stronger and more mature animal. I share Hardy's fear that connections will not do this and promising horses have been ruined by being pitched in the wrong race at Cheltenham - Beef Or Salmon & Nick Dundee spring to mind.

Hardy

Just checking the Betfair returns from yesterday - Tidal bay was quoted at 95 in running, Monksland at 80 and Back In Focus at 150!

Hardy

Connections reckon Star Neuville will perform better today (1:30 Leop) than last time out.

Also word for Dressed To The Nines (2:35 Leop). Source reliability unknown for this one, so treat with caution.

beer baron

Decent card at Punchestown tomorrow,good to see how De Bromheads you must know me runs after giving back in focus a race lto. Solwhit's back too and would be good to see if he retains much ability. In the bumper Prunella dobbs has a horse running in the same colours of our girl salley was it yourself DH that told us to chance a few bob on our girl salley a few years back at this meeting? Maybe i'm going mad!?  ???

maddog

The pin already pulled on tomorrows Cheltenham card. Cannot remember them losing a meeting to waterlogging :(

thewobbler

It's a big blow for Channel 4 too. They wanted a big day to launch Claire and co.

On a related note, I can't understand how Nick Luck kept his job among the clear out. He couldn't come across as a more pretentious twat if he tried.

sammymaguire

I think this Jonnie Skull in the 2-00 is well in today and could go close at 9/1
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

rodney trotter

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 31, 2012, 01:43:28 PM
I think this Jonnie Skull in the 2-00 is well in today and could go close at 9/1

Worth an ew at them odds. see whats it like online