The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barelegs

Arc this Sunday.The field is starting to take shape. Nathaniel is out with a fever according to Gosden. Danedream withdrawn at the five day stage

Is the field opening up for Camelot. Plenty of money (10/1 - 9/2) for Dettori to ride him today and O'Brien sounding reasonably inclined towards it. He's bound to have every chance now. Orfevre still the one to beat?

Would love to see Camelot do it (mostly because I backed him at a decent price after the St Leger for it). Still don't think we've seen the best of him. There are plenty of question marks over him but he was fairly impressive the last time he ran at a mile and a half

Donnellys Hollow

It's amazing how things work out sometimes. There was quite a big fallout after Dettori won the Leger on Scorpion and he threw his toys out of the pram after George Washington's QEII the following year with Heffernan picking up a ban as a result. O'Brien was absolutely raging over that at the time.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

barelegs

Thinking out loud here for a second, but it's looking fairly likely the top job in Ballydoyle is opening up again after this season. Any chance Dettori is offered it? There's been a bit of friction between him and Godolphin this year.  It'll be an interesting call

Donnellys Hollow

I can't see Dettori moving to Tipp at this stage in his life. Joseph should be able to do another year but it can't be easy with the weight. It will be interesting to see who, if anybody, they have lined up as his eventual replacement. I think they put all their eggs in one basket with Ryan Moore but he didn't want to leave England. Smullen and Hughes are happy where they are and are both pushing on a bit now. Spencer doesn't pick up many spares for the yard apart from the handful of Fitri Hay horses he's retained to ride. I'd say Buick would be top of their wishlist but I'd love to see Wayne Lordan get the gig. Class rider.

homeofhurling8

Moore is the number one choice, its his if he wants it DH but as you said he is unwilling to move, Soumillon was approached but again is happy where he is, the main man isn't a big fan of Richard Hughes, not necessarily his riding ability but more his "loose lips", if as expected AOB's eventual successor is Magniers son in law then I'm sure he will push for Lordan, there isn't a hope in hell of Spencer getting another go, he burnt too many bridges first time round, the ideal scenario for all involved would be a 10 years younger MJ !

As for Dettori riding Camelot, its a pretty significant booking, obviously Dettori will have had to run it by the Sheikh and as with everything Magnier and co do  the booking will have been made with an eye on the political aspect, relations have been steadily thawing between the two operations and I'm sure this latest move will have been made with that in mind.

Mikhail Prokhorov

cant have camelot at all on sunday, will be laying it heavily

drici

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PxrunL587OI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Girl steals Paul Carberry's horse whilst he does interview at Bellewstown.

Hardy

Paul should know you don't leave your horse, woman or any other form of conveyance unattended in Bellewstown.

Donnellys Hollow

It will be an interesting few years for Coolmore. The loss of Montjeu will hit them in a few years time especially considering none of his own progeny have made much of an impression at stud so far. I don't think Danehill has ever really been replaced either. Holy Roman Emperor has only been so so and while Henrytheavigator's first crop have done well as 2yos, they appear very dependent on quicker ground. Galileo is clearly the best in the business and could well surpass his Daddy's legacy at the rate he's going but they wouldn't want to be too reliant on the Sadlers Wells line. I know they have an arrangement in place with Juddmonte so we'll probably be seeing more Dansili and Oasis Dream yearlings at Ballydoyle in the next few years. They'll be keen to see Frankel do well too being the best son of Galileo. Darley have some nice stallions on their roster at the moment and will do well in the next few years. Exceed And Excel, Shamardal, Cape Cross and Dubawi have all had good years and they have the two best sons of Galileo to have stood at stud so far in Teofilo and New Approach. It will be very interesting to see how the first crop of Sea The Stars fare and whether we'll see many of his progeny racing in the Aga Khan silks here in Ireland.

On the racing side of things, I wonder will Aidan want to train a few jumpers if Joseph ends up a NH jockey as seems inevitable now. I've noticed he has had a few of the horses in Anne Marie's colours entered up in bumpers in recent weeks. It was always speculated that they would want go back to their NH roots but there hasn't been a noticeable increase in the numbers or the quality of stock that is being sent to David Wachman. Maybe this is something that we might see over the next 5-10 years.

barelegs

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/05/frankie-dettori-camelot-coolmore-godolphin

QuoteIn the circumstances, and given the identity of Camelot's owner, common courtesy should have decreed that he would seek Sheikh Mohammed's approval before agreeing to ride Camelot. And yet he did not. Instead, Godolphin learned of his decision via a text message.

That's a very interesting development. Looks like his days at Godolphin may well be numbered.

Donnellys Hollow

Sad news breaking tonight regarding Camelot. It doesn't sound good for him.

Atticus_Finch

4.40 Newmarket - MONTI RIDGE

Got chatting to the owner out in Spain at the end of August and he told me that this horse was going to win the racing post trophy on the 27th of October.

The horse is out today in a group 3 race , 4.40 Newmarket.

I don't know an awful lot about horses but I would have thought if it harboured ambitions of winning the racing post trophy then it should be winning a group three race today ?
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Donnellys Hollow

He was unlucky but I think Trading Leather will make a very good 3yo over a mile and a half. It looks like he has yet to fill into his frame and you would have to be taken with his attitude yesterday.

There's a good national hunt card down in Limerick today. I'm looking forward to see how Teelin Star gets on over fences this season.

Donnellys Hollow

Great stuff from Hughesie over in England today.

Up Kildare!!

Lecale2

7 out of 8. Great stuff indeed!!