The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Kauto never should have been run.

Hardy

It's a strange old game. Everybody on the winning podium (well, with the exception of the groom) is Irish, but this will go into the  books as an English win in the Gold Cup.

mick999

Where does JP / JonJo train their horses ?

Hardy

Jonjo is at Jackdaw's Castle, close to Cheltenham. JP has horses with dozens of trainers, here and in England.

beer baron

2 Great rides today-Mc Coy on Synchronised and Carberry on Bellvano-an absolute joy to watch both legends at their best!

Hardy

Quote from: beer baron on March 16, 2012, 05:53:59 PM
2 Great rides today-Mc Coy on Synchronised and Carberry on Bellvano-an absolute joy to watch both legends at their best!

Excellent but it takes a superhuman effort to applaud it when it comes from nowhere just when you thought you were getting out on the last race. Four seconds today - frustrating.

oakleafgael

You couldn't say the same about Walsh on Boston Bob.

bridge fan

imo boston bob didnt travel well enough and the winner won well

Lecale2

Donnellys Hollow

Some performance by horse, jockey ad trainer in the Gold Cup. It was far from a great renewal but what that horse lacks in class he makes up for it in heart and toughness. A sledgehammer wouldn't knock him over. Delighted for JP who puts so much into the game. I remember the dam Moyasta well. Frank Berry got her off the late great Con Collins when he was training down in Kilcullen. I recall her winning plenty of races with Conor O'Dwyer up and I think she won a big handicap hurdle with McCoy in the saddle at the Punchestown Festival one year. Don't know if she's still with us but it was also great to see the sire of sires still stamping his authority on the greatest races in the world both flat and jumps.

Boston Bob was obviously the big disappointment of the day and probably fair to say it wasn't Walsh's finest hour. Seemed to be ridden as if they were concerned that stamina was going to be an issue. I'm certain if he could ride the horse again he'd have him a bit handier. Whether he'd have won, who knows. Some of Willie's ran a bit flat this week and the winner only seemed to be idling in front. Presume they'll go to Punchestown with him now but I cannot wait to see him jump a fence next season.

Despite marvellous rides from both McCoy in the feature and Carberry in the last I though Colman Sweeney's effort on Salsify was top class. It's a pity that his weight stops him from riding as often as he'd like because he's one of the most natural horsemen in the country. One of the highlights of a fairly mixed week was the top class displays from the likes of Sweeney, John Thomas McNamara and Alan Berry - amateurs in name only.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hardy on March 16, 2012, 06:23:25 PM

Excellent but it takes a superhuman effort to applaud it when it comes from nowhere just when you thought you were getting out on the last race. Four seconds today - frustrating.

Was also on tanks a lot. Gutted thought id get out of jail. In fairnesss I only lost 15 quid so not pissed off. Tomorrow is the day for making money
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bcarrier

McCoy gave Synchronised a cracker of a ride. His losing ride on Albertas on Thursday was top drawer too.

Ruby 34, AP 27 and Barry G 25 in all time festival winners list now. Pat Taaffe has 25 too. No one else in 20s. The three lads might be earning more than other jocks but still get paid feck all in comparison to other sports. Mighty men the lot of them.

Declan

QuoteMighty men the lot of them.

Absolutely great lads

haranguerer

Quote from: bcarrier on March 17, 2012, 09:40:57 AM
McCoy gave Synchronised a cracker of a ride. His losing ride on Albertas on Thursday was top drawer too.

Ruby 34, AP 27 and Barry G 25 in all time festival winners list now. Pat Taaffe has 25 too. No one else in 20s. The three lads might be earning more than other jocks but still get paid feck all in comparison to other sports. Mighty men the lot of them.

A fair bit more than GAA players... ;D

winsamsoon

What did u guys make of Voler La Vadette ? looked nailed on before the horse switched to the rail(whether it drifted or was the jockey i haven't a clue) for me though it was def travelling the better at that stage.

Also watched at the races this morning and that guy Andrew Knott (owner of Hunt ball) was online and the interview was hillarious you get a chance lads watch it online. He says he told Schofield when he got to the top of the hill to look back and shout at Barry Geraghty "Barry where are ya" lol looper. Not so silly though he won over half a million on that race through bets
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.