The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 12, 2012, 12:31:08 PM
http://www.examiner.ie/sport/racing/fly-firmly-on-course-for-leopardstown-179928.html

PP going 7/2 for him to win both the Irish & English Champion Hurdles? Hmmmm........

If 100% surely this is a great bet. If he wins the Irish champion at a hack canter what price will he go for March ?

sammymaguire

Quote from: Oak Leafer on January 12, 2012, 03:31:02 PM
Had a trixie on 3 horse. One pulled out and declared Non runner. Do i need the other 2 both to win for a payout?

I thought you were on a gambling break boyo...? could be different rules for different bookies here dude but one winner might get your stake back at the right price..??
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Oak Leafer

lol David Barron drove me to it!  :D

Thanks fella...just checked and yeah got majority of my stake back!

The guys horse 'Hitchens' is running in Dubai next week....

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: maddog on January 12, 2012, 04:07:07 PM
http://www.examiner.ie/sport/racing/fly-firmly-on-course-for-leopardstown-179928.html

PP going 7/2 for him to win both the Irish & English Champion Hurdles? Hmmmm........

If 100% surely this is a great bet. If he wins the Irish champion at a hack canter what price will he go for March ?

11/8 I reckon.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

bridge fan

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 12, 2012, 04:56:41 PM

11/8 I reckon.

well paddy power go 4/5 for irish champion and 2/1 for cheltenham so better off doing a double as if ya stake £20 quid the double it  pays £108 rather than £90 quid for the 7/2 also still plenty of 9/4 for cheltenham about so not really good value

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: bridge fan on January 12, 2012, 10:16:30 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 12, 2012, 04:56:41 PM

11/8 I reckon.

well paddy power go 4/5 for irish champion and 2/1 for cheltenham so better off doing a double as if ya stake £20 quid the double it  pays £108 rather than £90 quid for the 7/2 also still plenty of 9/4 for cheltenham about so not really good value

The double would be a 'related bet' (all bookmakers rules will stipulate that selections have to be independent of one another) so no bookie would accept it.

the greatest jockey

ipsos du berlais at punchestown, western leader looks like  a perfect candidate to bounce after so long out and this will be a second quick run into him

sammymaguire

A really solid staying performance from Ipsos there. Won it well.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

sammymaguire

Like the look of Strongbow Legend 3-40 @ 8/1

Is that a tip??
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

The Mullins clan finally lose a bumper! Good boost for the form of the Stephens Day bumper at Leopardstown.

gaa.boy

Have you any offerings for my trip to Navan tomorrow DH?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: gaa.boy on January 14, 2012, 06:08:21 PM
Have you any offerings for my trip to Navan tomorrow DH?

Tricky enough card on paper. Mullins will probably have 5 of the seven favourites - Terminal, So Young, Are Ya Right Chief, Bagber, and Raise Hell. So Young would be the strongest of those but he won't be much of a price. My advice would be to watch for any positive market moves for any of the other ones. Terminal has solid looking French form but it'll depend how reved up he is for his debut here. Raise Hell has easily the best pedigree in the bumper but a quick glance at his p2p form would certainly suggest that he's a bit of a monkey.

I personally try to avoid the handicaps over here nowadays with so many horses just out for a school. Apologies I can't be of any more assistance but I'm not really following the racing as closely this winter.

Mickey Linden

Have u got involved in the cheltenham ante post market yet dh?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Mickey Linden on January 14, 2012, 08:59:37 PM
Have u got involved in the cheltenham ante post market yet dh?

Distant Memories 50/1 for the Supreme Novices
Peddlers Cross 5/1 for the Arkle
Quel Esprit 40/1 for the Gold Cup

I'm struggling to get a handle on it at the moment - particularly the novices and the championship races are all a bit messy IMO.

I backed Peddlers Cross before a fence was jumped and I still wouldn't give up on him. Kempton was never going to suit and he'll get the end to end gallop he needs at Cheltenham (remember Captain Chris last year).

Distant Memories was very classy on the flat and could win another soft race at Naas (the race Go Native won before winning at Cheltenham) which might see him cut to 16/1 or so which would give me the option of laying off. He's probably not on many people's radar yet considering he's only won at Limerick and Taaffe has had such a quiet time for a number of years. His horses were sick out for the last few seasons though but his yard seems to be over it now and he's a proven Cheltenham trainer (Kicking King, Ninetieth Minute, Finger On The Pulse).

I'm probably soft in the head for backing Quel Esprit but I really don't think there's a lot out there in terms of staying chasers at the moment. The ones at the top of the market are all a bit iffy and when you hear horses like What A Friend and Quito De La Roque being put up as viable outsiders, you get the impression that the race might not take much winning. I know how much the Mullins yard think of Quel Esprit even though he's yet to really show it on the track. He was tanking along when he came down three out in the Sun Alliance and he has had two nice confidence boosters this campaign. If he was to win the Hennessy, he'll probably go off single figures on the day.