The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

From  racingpost.com

QuoteCHAMPION HURDLE winner Hurricane Fly is on target to make his eagerly awaited seasonal reappearance in the BHP Insurance Irish Champion Hurdle at Leopardstown on January 29, after delighting connections in a racecourse gallop on Thursday.

RELATED LINKS

Betting for Champion Hurdle 2012

After coming home a length to the good over three rivals in a 1m5f workout at Leopardstown under regular work rider Emmet Mullins, trainer Willie Mullins expressed his satisfaction.

"I'm much happier with the way he went compared to his work before Christmas and it's looking like he will come back for the Irish Champion Hurdle," said Mullins.

Brilliant winner of last year's Stan James Champion Hurdle, Hurricane Fly has not been seen on a racetrack since following up at Punchestown in May and missed a recent engagement at Leopardstown over Christmas, sparking speculation about the horse's wellbeing.

Hurricane Fly is a best-priced 5-2 with Blue Square to retain his Champion Hurdle crown in March.

I've just lumped on for March at 2/1 at Ladbrokes NRNB. Surely Mullins won't send him over unless he's right and if he runs fully fit, surely he wins.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 05, 2012, 05:07:51 PM
From  racingpost.com

QuoteCHAMPION HURDLE winner Hurricane Fly is on target to make his eagerly awaited seasonal reappearance in the BHP Insurance Irish Champion Hurdle at Leopardstown on January 29, after delighting connections in a racecourse gallop on Thursday.

RELATED LINKS

Betting for Champion Hurdle 2012

After coming home a length to the good over three rivals in a 1m5f workout at Leopardstown under regular work rider Emmet Mullins, trainer Willie Mullins expressed his satisfaction.

"I'm much happier with the way he went compared to his work before Christmas and it's looking like he will come back for the Irish Champion Hurdle," said Mullins.

Brilliant winner of last year's Stan James Champion Hurdle, Hurricane Fly has not been seen on a racetrack since following up at Punchestown in May and missed a recent engagement at Leopardstown over Christmas, sparking speculation about the horse's wellbeing.

Hurricane Fly is a best-priced 5-2 with Blue Square to retain his Champion Hurdle crown in March.

I've just lumped on for March at 2/1 at Ladbrokes NRNB. Surely Mullins won't send him over unless he's right and if he runs fully fit, surely he wins.

Anyone know what horses he worked with?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Donnellys Hollow

sammymaguire

where did you get that pic DH??  8)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

The Irish Field.

RTÉ cameras were there as well. They had a report on the 6 o'clock news yesterday apparently.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 06, 2012, 02:12:21 PM
The Irish Field.

RTÉ cameras were there as well. They had a report on the 6 o'clock news yesterday apparently.

What do you make of the Hurricane for Cheltenham at this stage?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 06, 2012, 02:32:09 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 06, 2012, 02:12:21 PM
The Irish Field.

What do you make of the Hurricane for Cheltenham at this stage?

If he turns up at least 90% fit he'll win handily. Can't really see anything in the betting that appeals against him. All last year's Triumph principals are being talked up across the water but I don't see it myself. Grandouet will travel well before running out of gas when the taps get turned on. Zarkandar's form has held up well but why hasn't he been out yet. You need to be battle hardened going into a Champion Hurdle and he's not. Similar story with Spirit Son. Oscars Well and Rock On Ruby are nowhere near good enough. Binocular has already had his arse handed to him by HF.

Donnellys Hollow

Fancy Colour Squadron to turn over Prospect Wells in the Tolworth tomorrow. I really rate that form with Its A Gimme and he went on to give Montbazon and Ericht a beating at Newbury.

Will be keeping a close eye on how Quel Esprit gets on at Thurles too. Probably the only hope of an Irish trained runner in the Cheltenham Gold Cup the way we're going.

Sea The Stars

I'd see the Gold Cup as a two horse race unless Grands Cru takes on the big guns, in which case he might give Kauto Star and Long Run a fright. Quel Esprit, Burton Port and What A Friend are all "interesting". By the way, Kauto Star and Long Run both look vulnerable but there's been very little evidence to suggest that there's anything waiting in the wings to beat them. No second season chaser has done anything noteworthy.

I'm a big "Fly" fan but even in light of the positive bulletins this week, I think the value lies elsewhere. Henderson horses pose a big threat. And Zarkandar has always been trained to return in the Kingwell, and then head to Cheltenham with one run, though I'm sure the 5yo and number of runs stats will be bounced about well in advance of the Festival. So for me, I don't see the CH as Hurricane Fly home and hosed. Grandouet, Spirit Son, Rock On Ruby and Zarkandar are all still something of unknown quantities, in one regard or another.

The Champion Chase looks there for the taking, and am actually surprised it's taken until this week for one of the novice's connections to shout about the possibilites of running in the main 2m chase event. Big Zeb and Sizing Europe are 11 and 10 respectively and are to be shot at. Trouble is last season's novices look a dire bunch. Wide open.

Don't see Big Bucks getting beat. Cases were made for Punchestowns, Kasbah Bliss, Karabak, Grands Cru; Big Bucks had enough for them all. Oscar Whiskey and Thousand Stars are decent but the only way they'll win is if something happens Big Bucks.

TacadoirArdMhacha

I think that perhaps the most telling statistic about Hurricane's chances is that none of the four who trailed him home last March dare to re-oppose this term. Zarkandar could hardly have been more impressive in the Triumph but I'm still content with my 2/1 docket.

I suspect I may end up backing Grands Crus on the day if he does enter the Gold Cup. Can't disagree with your assessment of Big Bucks' chances while the fact that it looks like Quevega will head to Cheltenham again means that we'll probably be treated to an odds against opportunity (13/8 earlier this week).

Sea The Stars

Quote from: the greatest jockey on January 04, 2012, 11:59:57 PM
have to agree with almost everything there, think steps to freedom is a fair bet though in the supreme, looks like supreme is definitely the target and might not run here again before the festival because of soft ground and in that case wont start 10/1.

I think this statement is intended to suggest that STF will start less than 10/1? If it is I disagree.

Comes from unfashionable stable, ridden by a jockey who wouldn't enjoy the appeal that Ruby, BJG, Choc ridden horses enjoy, and plus the horse won't have run since November. So I find it hard to see where the momentum will come from especially if Henderson or Nicholls produce something special in the next 10 weeks (which they've done in the past).

But I like him. He can skip over the hurdles at speed and he stays well which is what you like in a Supreme prospect. Plus he's been up the hill and won. I hope the big stables attract the attention in this race and STF sneaks in under the radar, somewhat like Captain Cee Bee managed to do.

bridge fan

i dont think steps to freedom will be forgot about  ;)

haveaharp

Quote from: Sea The Stars on January 06, 2012, 10:02:06 PM
I'd see the Gold Cup as a two horse race unless Grands Cru takes on the big guns, in which case he might give Kauto Star and Long Run a fright. Quel Esprit, Burton Port and What A Friend are all "interesting". By the way, Kauto Star and Long Run both look vulnerable but there's been very little evidence to suggest that there's anything waiting in the wings to beat them. No second season chaser has done anything noteworthy.

I'm a big "Fly" fan but even in light of the positive bulletins this week, I think the value lies elsewhere. Henderson horses pose a big threat. And Zarkandar has always been trained to return in the Kingwell, and then head to Cheltenham with one run, though I'm sure the 5yo and number of runs stats will be bounced about well in advance of the Festival. So for me, I don't see the CH as Hurricane Fly home and hosed. Grandouet, Spirit Son, Rock On Ruby and Zarkandar are all still something of unknown quantities, in one regard or another.

The Champion Chase looks there for the taking, and am actually surprised it's taken until this week for one of the novice's connections to shout about the possibilites of running in the main 2m chase event. Big Zeb and Sizing Europe are 11 and 10 respectively and are to be shot at. Trouble is last season's novices look a dire bunch. Wide open.

Don't see Big Bucks getting beat. Cases were made for Punchestowns, Kasbah Bliss, Karabak, Grands Cru; Big Bucks had enough for them all. Oscar Whiskey and Thousand Stars are decent but the only way they'll win is if something happens Big Bucks.

With regard to last seasons novices i wonder where they will go with that Captain Chris given that they stepped it up to 3 miles in the King George. Arkle winners have a great record when turned out again in the champion chase the next year.

the greatest jockey

might be really clutching at straws but think the the first two in the tolworth at sandown really relished the soft ground and might have the form with prospect wells reversed at cheltenham who wants it really firm

Donnellys Hollow

Prospect Wells probably isn't up to that much. He should have been winning the Ladbroke off a mark of 142 if he's a Supreme Novices horse. The front two today should have a lot more improvement to come considering they're both more traditional NH types. Both look like chasing prospects already.

I'm wanting to be hearing positive bulletins about both Samain and Waaheb. They were probably the best bumper horses last year (Lovethehigherlaw no longer with us). Waaheb laughed at a field that included Cash And Go in the McManus bumper at Limerick and Samain was very impressive in the Rockview bumper at the Curragh and the form of that has been working out quite well.