New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveherlong

What's the story now for bringing a car into the North from GB with Brexit?
Anyone recommend reputable sites for used cars over there?

pbat

Ive bought a couple of Big Motor World this last few years and find them ok. Deal mainly in German Motors.

HiMucker

Quote from: giveherlong on January 13, 2021, 10:08:21 PM
Id highly recommend this crowd, Soper in Lincoln. They are a BMW outlet but are constantly flogging good trade ins at low prices. Their business model as they are a BMW outlet, is that they don't want anything thats not BMW hanging around and are happy to get it sold ASAP and a make a couple of hundred quid. You have to act quick as the cars don't hang about. I got a 2015 Honda CRV in mint condition last year, with 30k miles on it. It seemed too good to be true price and spec wise compared to what I was seeing on Autotrader and elsewhere. Asked a mate who is in the game and he said they were legit, with a top class rep. The car came online on the Monday, and I had to pay a deposit to hold it that day, as it was first come first serve. All their motors come with min 6 month MOT and 6 month warranty. I think they might be the biggest BMW outlet in the UK. Might have to wait a bit to get what your looking for from them, but if you have a few different options and your happy that you know a bit about the car your buying, comfortable to drive, model variant history etc (as some variants give more bother than others) and are happy to pull the trigger, go for it. Id have no hesitation getting a motor off them again if they had something I was looking for. Ive brought a few motors back from England, both from private and commercial. No bother with any of them, but this crowd definitely gave me the best peace of mind.

www.soperbmw.co.uk/

armaghniac

Quote from: giveherlong on January 13, 2021, 10:08:21 PM

Re Brexit, it has been suggested in the last day that they are trying to bring things back to the way they were in December. I'd fully understand this before getting seriously involved.
Even if they make this change, it will likely remain that a car sold new in NI can be sold on used to the 26 counties without extra VAT, while one imported from Britain cannot.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

JimStynes

Anyone drive an Audi Quattro? If so, is it worth the extra for the 4 wheel drive compared to the normal front wheel drive motors.

Denn Forever

Do need 4 wheel drive?  More things to go wrong. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

JimStynes

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 14, 2021, 11:29:01 AM

I live in the country and drive to work on country roads that aren't gritted during the winter. I don't know if that's enough to warrant 4WD. I've a rear wheel drive car at the minute and it's a disaster.

Jeepers Creepers

For wintery conditions compared to a rear wheel drive. No argument. Then you have to weigh up just exactly how many wintery (Ice/snow) days we actually get a year to warrant spending extra?

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: JimStynes on January 14, 2021, 12:42:40 PM

I live in the country and drive to work on country roads that aren't gritted during the winter. I don't know if that's enough to warrant 4WD. I've a rear wheel drive car at the minute and it's a disaster.

I have the xdrive BMW and it does make an awful difference on the back roads - mate has the A4 quattro and thinks it's a great job too. No idea how reliable it is though. I found it didn't cost that much extra at the time so I went with it.

whitey

Quote from: JimStynes on January 14, 2021, 12:42:40 PM

Front wheel drive car with good snow tires might do the trick. If where you live is hilly AWD would work better, but for relatively flat roads FWD will suffice

AWD/4X4 doesn't help if it's icy....it can actually make things worse

trailer

Quote from: JimStynes on January 14, 2021, 11:06:24 AM
Anyone drive an Audi Quattro? If so, is it worth the extra for the 4 wheel drive compared to the normal front wheel drive motors.

I drive a Quattro, well at the weekends at least. Q8. Great driving machine. Highly recommend and I drove BMWs before that but wouldn't go back now.

giveherlong

Anyone have experience of the Skoda Kodiaq?

general

ive seen me reverse round the local country roads in the past due to RWD being horrible in the ice/snow!

Franko

Quote from: JimStynes on January 14, 2021, 11:06:24 AM

Go for it.  You will not regret it.

I'm in a similar situation and have the peace of mind that barring 4ft of snow that would need a tractor, I'll be able to get where I'm going.  Would also disagree with the poster that the AWD system is worse on ice.  It's most definitely not - in fact I find it much more sure-footed in all conditions.

With the power going to all wheels, it also wears the tyres much more evenly as the front/rear aren't burning rubber due to slippage when/if you get a bit over-exuberant.

The Audi Quattro system in particular gives next to no hassle in terms of service issues.

marty34

Anybody know much about the 'push in' type keys?  Maybe all nee cars have them now...lol. 

Occasionly the Passatt won't start - seems to be a key issue as lights etc. come on.  Five mins later it works perfectly.  Not a starter issue either.

Could there be a loose connection in the key itself?