‘Guns and Roses’ a new Left alternative in Irish politics?

Started by Donagh, February 23, 2009, 12:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

So can we take it from the responses then that no one here apart from Zapatista would support a 'leftist' government? I guess we're still a nation of (post-industrial) peasants. We've a long way to fall yet I suspect... 

muppet

Quote from: Donagh on February 23, 2009, 07:58:41 PM
So can we take it from the responses then that no one here apart from Zapatista would support a 'leftist' government? I guess we're still a nation of (post-industrial) peasants. We've a long way to fall yet I suspect... 

I suppose Donagh if you offered publicly important suggestions of what such a government might do, rather than the politically more important question of who would be in power it might prove more attractive.

Policies please?
MWWSI 2017

Pangurban

I suspect you are on a wind up mission , naughty,naughty

muppet

Quote from: Pangurban on February 23, 2009, 08:05:02 PM

Not true, I'm offering an opportunity to correct the public percerption that SF's only policy is to tax the f*ck out of anyone above the minimum wage. 
MWWSI 2017

Donagh

Quote from: muppet on February 23, 2009, 08:12:18 PM
Quote from: Pangurban on February 23, 2009, 08:05:02 PM

Not true, I'm offering an opportunity to correct the public percerption that SF's only policy is to tax the f*ck out of anyone above the minimum wage. 

I'm not trying to wind anyone up but just provoke a discussion to see if there is any willingness out there yet to take the pain which is inevitable before any real social progress can be seen in this country. 

I've no idea what such a government might do, that would have to be hammered out between any potential alliance partners but I know for sure that continuing to vote in one bunch of gangsters after another but cause you 'don't see an alternative' (translated as 'hope it will improve your bank account') will see this country start to compete with Honduras for worst international government awards – where, I was reading earlier, government departments spend 96% of their budget on bureaucracy and politicians wages.   

Time for a bit of patriotic action - and I don't mean by refusing to shop Bertie's supermarket in Newry.

Zapatista

So there should be no left wing Government untill we hear what their policys are?

Maybe they should write a new proclamation and die in a rising and we might concider it.

Would it be easier to have a look at left countries and make comparisons?

Eoghan Mag

I would trust a politician with a gun far quicker than I would trust a politician with a brown envelope or one with a rose.  

Very, very hard to get a Sinn Féin voter to vote for 'the sit on the fence and see what happens party' - otherwise known as Labour. It will be interesting to see what will happen come the local elections later this year. I suspect a raft of independents will get elected and then it will be a raffle as to what party ends up absorbing them in. I don't think looking further ahead than this election is worthwhile. The local elections will prove to be the barometer. If Fianna Fáil lose badly here then there will be a major reshuffle and massive PR job done prior to a general election. Old traditions still die hard for most voters here.  

muppet

Quote from: Zapatista on February 23, 2009, 09:24:55 PM
So there should be no left wing Government untill we hear what their policys are?

Maybe they should write a new proclamation and die in a rising and we might concider it.

Would it be easier to have a look at left countries and make comparisons?

Not quite, I just don't think the idea would be taken seriously until potential policies were put forward.
MWWSI 2017

Zapatista

Do me a favour muppet? Next time you get a day off have a walk down to the dole office, the socail welfare office, the hospital corrider, the court house, your local school, the beautiful Irish forests and your nearest oxfam and see where this fits into the current right wing Governmets policy.

muppet

Quote from: Zapatista on February 23, 2009, 10:06:23 PM
Do me a favour muppet? Next time you get a day off have a walk down to the dole office, the socail welfare office, the hospital corrider, the court house, your local school, the beautiful Irish forests and your nearest oxfam and see where this fits into the current right wing Governmets policy.

Spare me the usual politically motivated moral outrage.

Still not a single policy for perusal on this thread.
MWWSI 2017

Zapatista

Universal health care. Spare me the usual excuses of not having a reason.

Eoghan Mag

One policy I'd like to see is to get rid of all private hospitals. They should not exist. They are the bane of this country.

muppet

Quote from: Zapatista on February 23, 2009, 10:16:36 PM

Hey I'll do that too.

Free money and a 1 day working week for all workers.

Now how about a coherent policy that wouldn't bankrupt us immediately.

Universal Healthcare paid for by selling our Natural Gas, instead of giving it away for free, might run for example.
MWWSI 2017

Eoghan Mag

I'd put tighter contraints on Insurance companies. They are given far freer rein in Ireland than even the banks. While house prices are falling all over the country some of these companies are still pushing up their artifical valuations of houses and charging people extra.

Zapatista

Quote from: muppet on February 23, 2009, 10:19:57 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on February 23, 2009, 10:16:36 PM

Hey I'll do that too.

Free money and a 1 day working week for all workers.

Now how about a coherent policy that wouldn't bankrupt us immediately.

Universal Healthcare paid for by selling our Natural Gas, instead of giving it away for free, might run for example.

In case you haven't noticed muppet, we are bankrupt. Why would it not be coherent? How about an increase on tax and an end to health insurance?