Tyrone v Monaghan, Sun 20th May, Healy Park

Started by tyroneman, April 04, 2018, 06:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 23, 2018, 10:02:16 AM
Darragh O'Se doesn't think the Monaghan panel is strong enough to come through the super 8's in his article today.
Darragh does not realise that we have not won the ulster title yet, he's thinking like a Kerryman, - once you have beaten Cork the provincial title follows.

seafoid

Quote from: Main Street on May 24, 2018, 12:26:15 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 23, 2018, 10:02:16 AM
Darragh O'Se doesn't think the Monaghan panel is strong enough to come through the super 8's in his article today.
Darragh does not realise that we have not won the ulster title yet, he's thinking like a Kerryman, - once you have beaten Cork the provincial title follows.
Dhera
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omaghjoe

Watched it full and uninteruped last night, apart from those 6/7 lost minutes at the start of the 2nd half

Really impressed with Monaghan for me what won it for them was three key things

Rory Beggan's frees. Long range sniper outstanding kicking and kept Monaghan ticking over to thwart any momentum Tyrone were building. Within 50metres you cant foul Monaghan or you'll be punished that's some asset.
McManus star quality: Quiet for most of the game but just as it looking Tyrone had reeled the game in McManus came to the fore and blew the game out of the water
McCarron McAnespie: Both quality footballers and a threat any time they got it. Not sure why the former was subbed

There is a certain confidence in this side that I haven't seen from Monaghan sides in the past. They will have to be consistent

Tyrone should reach the super8s and it wont do any harm to have a run in the qualifiers. Tho it may attribute to fatigue in the super 8s. Colm C and McCann probably should not have started as they were fairly anonymous the back door will give them time to get back to pace. Peter Harte was anonymous too. sending of was very unlike him, probably frustrated. The starting FF line was reasonably impressive especially McAliskey of course. We'll see how  it goes but, we need leaders in the absence of Colm.

ONeill

I think Monaghan are very capable of reaching the final if they avoid the Jacks in the semis.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

redzone

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 24, 2018, 04:09:56 PM
Watched it full and uninteruped last night, apart from those 6/7 lost minutes at the start of the 2nd half

Rory Beggan's frees. Long range sniper outstanding kicking and kept Monaghan ticking over to thwart any momentum Tyrone were building. Within 50metres you cant foul Monaghan or you'll be punished that's some asset.
McManus star quality: Quiet for most of the game but just as it looking Tyrone had reeled the game in McManus came to the fore and blew the game out of the water
McCarron McAnespie: Both quality footballers and a threat any time they got it. Not sure why the former was subbed

There is a certain confidence in this side that I haven't seen from Monaghan sides in the past. They will have to be consistent

Tyrone should reach the super8s and it wont do any harm to have a run in the qualifiers. Tho it may attribute to fatigue in the super 8s. Colm C and McCann probably should not have started as they were fairly anonymous the back door will give them time to get back to pace. Peter Harte was anonymous too. sending of was very unlike him, probably frustrated. The starting FF line was reasonably impressive especially McAliskey of course. We'll see how  it goes but, we need leaders in the absence of Colm.
Did u notice how they pushed up on our kickouts , forced us to go long then 4/5 played would sprint to were the ball was kicked for the break ball. Same with them attacking down the wings.  Porter is an excellent coach.

Main Street

and I'd say Monaghan were a lot cuter in possession than in previous championship games,  where once inside the Tyrone half the venture would invariably end up getting ambushed and dispossessed. I checked with BBC NI player and I only see the Fermanagh Armagh game there, did you record the game?

omaghjoe

Quote from: redzone on May 24, 2018, 10:40:29 PM

Did u notice how they pushed up on our kickouts , forced us to go long then 4/5 played would sprint to were the ball was kicked for the break ball. Same with them attacking down the wings.  Porter is an excellent coach.

Its sorta hard to pick up on those things from TV but it makes sense the midfield seemed to be isolated and the next thing there would be the Monaghan calvary arriving to pick up the break. Good tactics

omaghjoe

Quote from: Main Street on May 25, 2018, 01:04:21 AM

and I'd say Monaghan were a lot cuter in possession than in previous championship games,  where once inside the Tyrone half the venture would invariably end up getting ambushed and dispossessed. I checked with BBC NI player and I only see the Fermanagh Armagh game there, did you record the game?

They still did that tho a fair few times but there's no doubt they were a lot more patient, very comfortable on the ball.
Not as much of the bravado nonsense they be usually at, (a Banty hangover I reckon) but there is marked increase in the general quality of the player so when you have the ability, you have more confidence in your ability and don't feel the need for bravado.
Dare I say it... but if Monaghan can be consistent and the squad proves to be resilient enough thru the super 8s there is every chance you could reach the promised land.... an AI semi final ;)

I saw it on GAAGO.

Whats goin on with your sensible post? account hack?

Main Street

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 25, 2018, 06:56:17 AM
Quote from: Main Street on May 25, 2018, 01:04:21 AM

They still did that tho a fair few times but there's no doubt they were a lot more patient, very comfortable on the ball.
Not as much of the bravado nonsense they be usually at, (a Banty hangover I reckon) but there is marked increase in the general quality of the player so when you have the ability, you have more confidence in your ability and don't feel the need for bravado.
Dare I say it... but if Monaghan can be consistent and the squad proves to be resilient enough thru the super 8s there is every chance you could reach the promised land.... an AI semi final ;)

I saw it on GAAGO.

Whats goin on with your sensible post? account hack?
You mean when I predicted an easy Monaghan win? and post match that I wouldn't be getting too excited by this win because that was a dysfunctional rudderless Tyrone team.  Happy enough, but not counting last 8 chickens yet.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on May 25, 2018, 09:33:04 PM
You mean when I predicted an easy Monaghan win? and post match that I wouldn't be getting too excited by this win because that was a dysfunctional rudderless Tyrone team.  Happy enough, but not counting last 8 chickens yet.

OMG Main Street  betraying an oul bit of good oul fashioned Ulster humility there,  what are are we about at all!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...