Laois Senior Football Championship 2023

Started by Spiritof86, March 02, 2023, 08:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Quote from: El Jefe on October 12, 2023, 05:02:26 PMShould have been done by now but better to wait and get right man. Don't think either of those two are what's needed.

On the weekend, the final's hard to call. Hopefully Joseph's do it but it'll be tight, a point or two either way. Think the B Final might be the same. Can just see The Heath nicking that one. The relegation game, I'll go with Clonaslee.

No such thing as the right man. It's a mess. The first job any new coach will have is to beg lads to commit. That's not even factoring in the time already lost. We're dysfunctional.

Tintin84

Anyone hear Justin McNulty's name being mentioned?

Spiritof86

Quote from: Tintin84 on October 13, 2023, 11:02:36 AMAnyone hear Justin McNulty's name being mentioned?

Heard he was approached amongst a few others this week that weren't initially part of the interviewees.

Tintin84

Quote from: Spiritof86 on October 13, 2023, 11:30:44 AM
Quote from: Tintin84 on October 13, 2023, 11:02:36 AMAnyone hear Justin McNulty's name being mentioned?

Heard he was approached amongst a few others this week who weren't initially part of the interviewees.

Doesn't say much for Billy O'Loughlin or Eddie Kinsella if they are still looking for candidates last I heard was they were told last week that a decision would be made by Friday last week, Then another email Monday and haven't heard anything since.

Laois Rising

I respect Billy's efforts as someone who has built up a good CV coaching teams. However, from what I know talking to people who were involved in Longford during his tenure I do not see the county board giving him the job. In fairness to the county board they gave those candidates who expressed an interest a chance to interview for the job. None of them were deemed suitable. As opposed to appoint the wrong man they are actively seeking someone who would be a right fit for the job. As we are all well aware it is not an enticing job in its current guise. Therefore, it's going to take time and plenty of persuasion. For an ambitious manager, the Laois job might appeal as they cannot go any lower. Even a small bit of progress e.g. promotion from division 4 and a proper crack at the Tailteann Cup would reflect well on this person and in a couple of years time could move to pastures new with their reputation embellished aka Eddie Brennan style with the Laois hurlers.

High Fielder

There is no right answer here. There is no single person who we know will come in and change things around for the better. What we're looking at right now is an attempt by the CB to get a name.

Zooming around

Is there any hope Mick Dempsey would take on the job?

Spiritof86

The Boy Wonder

If it's true that Justin McNulty has been approached I'm not altogether surprised. Despite two poor Leinster SFC defeats to Longford in 2012 and Louth in 2013 he seemed to bring a very professional approach and turned out well drilled teams who could hold their own in Division 2. He would hardly be considered again if the views of his former players were negative.
Some of the appointments since Justin were questionable so I think the County Board are right to try and get an experienced manager with a half-decent track record. None of us are expecting overnight results but promotion to Division 3 is a modest short-term goal.

Spiritof86

Well done St Joseph's. Showed more endeavour and hunger particularly in the second half . Daly and Kelly with two great points near the end . Eoghan O'Flaherty plays a very controlled role in the Joes team and is very composed on and off the ball .
Pretty desperate game of football otherwise . Decent crowd .
End of the road for a few of those Portlaoise lads I'd imagine .
Eire Og next Sunday for Joes .

Blow-in

Puke football. Woeful advertisement for our county. I know Josephs won't care but Christ it was pathetic.

TheGiantSquid

The worst final of all time I would say to cap off the worst championship of all time. How many cracker of games did we have? Teams just seem contempt to hold possession for 5mins at a time. Desperate stuff!

Spiritof86

Quote from: Batman!!! on October 15, 2023, 09:15:31 PMPuke football. Woeful advertisement for our county. I know Josephs won't care but Christ it was pathetic.

You seem surprised ? Yesterday  pretty much summed up the majority of games in this year's championship.
Did you expect something special yesterday?

redsetanta

Poor enough from Josephs on Saturday evening, Eire Og short a few and still managed to get over the line.
Josephs were in control but resorted to passing lateral or backwards towards the end of normal time.
Maybe the celebrations went on too long but that was a game left behind them.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

High Fielder

I don't think they're much better than that sadly