Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 30, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Zooming around on August 12, 2019, 05:30:17 PM
It struck me as very strange both the decision and the timing. It didn't smell of a long, carefully thought out "Family and Business" decision. Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they fucked it up yet again. If there's one thing they are uncomfortable with it's a manager doing well. Incompetent wouldn't even begin to describe it.

Why manage an inter county team when Leinster is dead and the All Ireland is a procession?

It can't be easy motivating players who get hammered as standard
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Nameless

Quote from: High Fielder on August 12, 2019, 06:32:14 PM
I had actually heard one or two rumblings that certain people weren't happy with his performance. To those people I would say cop yourselves on and take a long hard look at what we have available to us.

It reminds me of when McNulty was ran out of town. There were those who thought we were better than getting to All Ireland quarter finals and playing Division 1 and Division 2 football. As we fell down to division 4, those people got their answer.

High Fielder

Quote from: seafoid on August 12, 2019, 07:03:50 PM
Quote from: Zooming around on August 12, 2019, 05:30:17 PM
It struck me as very strange both the decision and the timing. It didn't smell of a long, carefully thought out "Family and Business" decision. Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they fucked it up yet again. If there's one thing they are uncomfortable with it's a manager doing well. Incompetent wouldn't even begin to describe it.

Why manage an inter county team when Leinster is dead and the All Ireland is a procession?

It can't be easy motivating players who get hammered as standard

Oddly enough, you probably chose the worst man to make that point about. Sugrue had little time for talk about Dublin's dominance. He only saw the challenge of beating them. I accept that he might have come to his senses, but his motivation came very much from within. External factors didn't faze him at all

High Fielder

Quote from: Nameless on August 12, 2019, 07:09:32 PM
I had actually heard one or two rumblings that certain people weren't happy with his performance. To those people I would say cop yourselves on and take a long hard look at what we have available to us.

It reminds me of when McNulty was ran out of town. There were those who thought we were better than getting to All Ireland quarter finals and playing Division 1 and Division 2 football. As we fell down to division 4, those people got their answer.

I have no problem admitting I was one of them. I also have no problem admitting that I enjoyed the trip to London far more than losing to Dublin under McNulty by a small margin. It was hard to watch Nameless, but I can see your point.

Giovanni

I had actually heard one or two rumblings that certain people weren't happy with his performance.

What??! Could anyone seriously argue that point? What else could the man have done?

I don't know if he's the best man for the job or not. There may be better people out there. However, Sugrue has proven that he's able to do a top class job in Laois. We also know that people like that are hard to find. If he's been driven out because some clown wasn't happy with our performances, then I really give up. What was expected? That we beat Dublin? 

clonadmad

With Waterford sounding out Eddie Brennan,we might need to change the thread title

The fact that John had to literally beg and try and recruit key people to his backroom team when the county board should have been doing it might have been a factor in his departure.

The fact that we couldn't appoint a doctor for our senior county team says it all.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: clonadmad on August 12, 2019, 11:58:33 PM
With Waterford sounding out Eddie Brennan,...
Uhhh, is this actually happening?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Chrimtain

With Waterford sounding out Eddie Brennan,we might need to change the thread title

The fact that John had to literally beg and try and recruit key people to his backroom team when the county board should have been doing it might have been a factor in his departure.

The fact that we couldn’t appoint a doctor for our senior county team says it all.

It seems to be all coming out now. Apparently, our glorious County Board, with things going so well under John Sugrue, were just not prepared to go that extra mile to accommodate a good man. That was the case with Cheddar as well. So, if it turns out that all of this is true, they should all be booted out and replaced with competent, progressive people.

As for Eddie Brennan, it would not surprise me in the slightest if they lose him as well.

High Fielder

We've heard nothing official from the CB (unlikely anyway) or from Sugrue. They want your money, support and volunteerism but don't dare ask any questions. We have no right to expect an explanation, but it's the done thing nowadays. Cian O Neill wrote an essay FFS. But not in Laois of course. Another PR disaster.

Don Draper

Anyone here ever run for a position in the CB? Could we organise a coup? Few good fellas on here I'd happily row in behind. Would you do it lads, for the county like?

Zooming around

Quote from: Chrimtain on August 13, 2019, 08:12:04 AM

The fact that we couldn't appoint a doctor for our senior county team says it all.

It seems to be all coming out now. Apparently, our glorious County Board, with things going so well under John Sugrue, were just not prepared to go that extra mile to accommodate a good man. That was the case with Cheddar as well. So, if it turns out that all of this is true, they should all be booted out and replaced with competent, progressive people.

As for Eddie Brennan, it would not surprise me in the slightest if they lose him as well.

Some of them, especially one of those in a non-elected position, should have been removed forcibly by the clubs years ago. They are simply not fit for purpose and are piggy backing on who they know in the cosy cartel. Clubs need to be proactive at this right now as we head towards convention time before we slip back in both hurling and football yet again. The amount of good people working tirelessly behind the scenes deserve more. Of course there's no problem getting them to stand in for a photo with John Horan. It's time for action.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Zooming around on August 13, 2019, 11:47:51 AM
Quote from: Chrimtain on August 13, 2019, 08:12:04 AM

Some of them, especially one of those in a non-elected position, should have been removed forcibly by the clubs years ago. They are simply not fit for purpose and are piggy backing on who they know in the cosy cartel. Clubs need to be proactive at this right now as we head towards convention time before we slip back in both hurling and football yet again. The amount of good people working tirelessly behind the scenes deserve more. Of course there's no problem getting them to stand in for a photo with John Horan. It's time for action.

Who are these men of action that are fit for purpose? The county board and various hurling and football committees are mostly made up of conservative older men with time on their hands who have been appointed by their clubs because nobody else will put their names forward. I agree that such people are fine to have 'voting rights' but don't expect it to generate a group of proactive, passionate and energetic folk. It would make a massive difference if our county board was made up of ex club and county players who have retired in the last 10 years. Who would organize that though? Would be turkeys voting for xmas.

clonadmad

Anytime any of Ye want to become county board delegates lads,get the nomination from your clubs

That's just the first small step as county board delegates have as much say in things as a North Korean TD.

Power is vested in a small enough cabal and good luck with breaking in there

clonadmad

Given a choice between Laois and Waterford

I think Brennan would be mad to even consider them

Pat Ryan had the job last year down there and walked away when the players decided to interview him for the role

GAA-SMART

Love an aul coup via a forum.. youd swear clubs never get a vote on who gets onto the CB executive. The only man Bullet Proof in there is Handy, its Laois clubs that keep everyone else, make no mistake. Obviously something went wrong with Sugrue but the man said family and work commitments and ill take his word until we hear / see otherwise. As for Brennan, id be suprised if he goes at the same time, what can he achieve next year with Laois, if Leinster is not made a 6 team province then we are looking at a drop back to the Mc Donagh bar another win against Dublin which I'd question. With Waterford, he probably just needs two wins which are getable and he keeps his stock high instead of the bit of Damage he might get if he stays with Laois. Cody is going to be gone soon so he has to stay up on the pecking order as itll come down to Brennan v Shefflin for the top job there.