Time of the games on Saturday in Croker

Started by Unlaoised, March 27, 2018, 09:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on March 27, 2018, 04:44:34 PM
I think whoever finished top of the division should have had home venue for the final. That way it would have guaranteed a big crowd with a good atmosphere. All you can hear in Croke Park in an empty stadium is the shouts from the pitch and an echoing sound.

Galway finished top of D1. Your system would not have guaranteed a big crowd even in the highest profile game.

yellowcard

Quote from: Syferus on March 27, 2018, 04:49:30 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 27, 2018, 04:44:34 PM
I think whoever finished top of the division should have had home venue for the final. That way it would have guaranteed a big crowd with a good atmosphere. All you can hear in Croke Park in an empty stadium is the shouts from the pitch and an echoing sound.

Galway finished top of D1. Your system would not have guaranteed a big crowd even in the highest profile game.

I'm sure revenue, as with all these things plays a big part in Croke Parks decision to play them at hq. I'm just saying that from a sporting perspective it makes sense to give some small reward to the team finishing top. If the rules had been known before Sunday I'm fairly sure Dublin would have beaten Monaghan to ensure home advantage anyway.

Rossfan

Some right spoilsports around here wanting to prevent Carlow (and the rest) from playing a National Final at HQ.
Terrible carry on.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

Quote from: Rossfan on March 27, 2018, 05:39:51 PM
Some right spoilsports around here wanting to prevent Carlow (and the rest) from playing a National Final at HQ.
Terrible carry on.

No. Some of us just wouldn't believe that the opportunity to play an exhibition match in an eerily empty Croke Park is that big a deal to most footballers, even those from D4 counties.

Rossfan

thewobbler

Quote from: Rossfan on March 27, 2018, 07:33:18 PM
Have you asked any of them?
No, not a single one.

But nor have I seen a kid dreaming about kicking a winner into an empty stand.

Nor have I heard a supporter or player reminisce about a national league final.

Nor have I heard of a player whose big regret in the game was not playing in Croke Park.

lenny

Quote from: thewobbler on March 27, 2018, 07:43:41 PM
No, not a single one.

Nor have I heard of a player whose big regret in the game was not playing in Croke Park.

Unbelievable comments. For most of the players in the division 3 and 4 finals this is the biggest game they will ever play in. It's the one chance they have to win a national final. And to do it at croke park makes it doubly special. The league has been a much better competition overall than championship for a number of seasons now.

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 27, 2018, 12:29:02 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 27, 2018, 12:03:28 PM
ark. When Sligo won a league final there a while back it mattered not one shite to us that the ground wasn't full.

Personally I'd love to play a game on that pitch even if it was only watched by seagulls.
There's one for you Wobbly

magpie seanie

I was up last Easter with our club U12's who were playing in a blitz in Croke Park. It was a magical occasion and one I'm sure most of those kids will remember for the rest of their lives. Bar a few parents and mentors and stewards there was no one there. This is a great initiative under which each province gets 2 days. Exactly what the GAA should be about.

My brother in law played there as a kid for his national school in Dublin. Still mentions it to this day. I wish I had the same experience.

I can't understand Wobbler's opinion in the slightest.

Beffs

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 27, 2018, 12:03:28 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 27, 2018, 11:54:09 AM
National Finals should be in HQ.

Or do some of ye want it to be used for rubby and stick Carlow into one of the 3 worst County Grounds in the Country.
Disappointed in you Dinny :'(

I get the whole arguement about playing it in CP but it does nothing, zero to promote the game. Since you bizarrely brought rugby into it, the same day Thomand Park is sold out, 27k Munster fans which game will have the better atmosphere and better optics and therefore better promotion.

IF Thomond Park is sold out, it's because Munster have a half decent team again, and/or a post Grand Slam supporter high. The place has been half empty for most of their games, these past 4 or 5 years. Now that they are no longer shite, their supporters - the biggest bandwagon brigade in the country - are turning up again. (Good luck getting their PR machine to admit it mind.) Proper marketing has sweet EFF all to do with it.

thewobbler

Genuinely I'm not trying to suggest that playing in Croke isnt an incentive/reward for players. It is a day out after all.

What I'm getting at is that its importance to players is regularly overblown.

When people talk about their "dream being to play in Croke Park", the actual dream is about playing in an important match in front of a large crowd - and Croke Park's role in this dream is primarily a vessel for the experience, and not the actual experience.

Hence while I'm sure anyone playing in Croke for this first time this weekend will get a buzz from doing so, I'd expect the majority of the players on show, across all 4 matches, won't notice where they are, and more than a few would prefer to play in a more atmospheric occasion.

Syferus

Quote from: thewobbler on March 27, 2018, 09:37:39 PM
Genuinely I'm not trying to suggest that playing in Croke isnt an incentive/reward for players. It is a day out after all.

When people talk about their "dream being to play in Croke Park", the actual dream is about playing in an important match in front of a large crowd - and Croke Park's role in this dream is primarily a vessel for the experience, and not the actual experience.

Hence while I'm sure anyone playing in Croke for this first time this weekend will get a buzz from doing so, I'd expect the majority of the players on show, across all 4 matches, won't notice where they are, and more than a few would prefer to play in a more atmospheric occasion.

This is as important as it gets in Croke Park for the likes of Carlow and Laois. Don't begrudge them just because you don't understand them.

Avondhu star

There's a loyal bunch of people who follow their counties through thick and thin. What's wrong with them having their day in Croke Park? It's a national stadium and not the preserve of the Super 8.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

rrhf

Quote from: lenny on March 27, 2018, 08:00:07 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 27, 2018, 07:43:41 PM
No, not a single one.

Unbelievable comments. For most of the players in the division 3 and 4 finals this is the biggest game they will ever play in. It's the one chance they have to win a national final. And to do it at croke park makes it doubly special. The league has been a much better competition overall than championship for a number of seasons now.
Agreed. Could you imagine Derry being there in 12 months time. Would be fantastic for those lads.

thewobbler

Quote from: Syferus on March 28, 2018, 02:12:45 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 27, 2018, 09:37:39 PM

This is as important as it gets in Croke Park for the likes of Carlow and Laois. Don't begrudge them just because you don't understand them.

Ah yes. Carlow who haven't been promoted in 30 years, and Laois who've just spent a solitary season in D4, and 4 years ago were D1. They're bound to have exactly the same range of emotions on Saturday.

But I don't understand them and you do?