Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobbller

manwithnoplan

Quote from: wobbller on May 10, 2023, 09:50:00 PM
Quote from: Ed Hardy on May 10, 2023, 09:28:31 PM
Quote from: wobbller on May 10, 2023, 09:25:57 PM
Rumour that there is bit of in-fighting in the Kilcoo/Down camp.

What's the rumour?
Maybe others can elaborate further.

Quite a pointless comment to begin with then. Thanks.

ardtole

3 lads dropped off the Offaly panel yesterday to go to the U.S.A for the summer, I'd imagine every Tailtain cup team in the country is facing similar issues.

Truth hurts

Quote from: wobbller on May 10, 2023, 09:25:57 PM
Rumour that there is bit of in-fighting in the Kilcoo/Down camp.

What a strange statement!

Ed Hardy

See Irish News saying Mooney back with the Down squad, any others called in?

ardtole

Do the clubs or county board get an allocation of tickets for the Tipp game?

Truth hurts

Is there anyone who can't play tonight?

Truth hurts

Quote from: Ed Hardy on May 11, 2023, 06:06:42 PM
See Irish News saying Mooney back with the Down squad, any others called in?
Is there a podcast on its way  :)

snoopdog

It also says he is unlikely to play . Looking towards next year.

redandblackareback

"Great progress, supporters back for the first time in years, great resurgence of Down Football." Listening to a lot of solid cow dung being talked this last few weeks in the papers and yet we are still in Divison 3 and hammered in an Ulster championship match by double digits and have now seen the first group of players walk away from the panel due to Kilcoo favouritism in selection.

Tally was crucified for playing defensive football but he got us out of a stronger division 3 and was so close to an Ulster final playing good football. Plus he was on a fraction of what the current set up are on and they are all "great Down men" Mickey Donnelly also getting a slab of dough for what? Be safer being fired into our underage teams or schools that are currently a mess.

messy gael

Quote from: redandblackareback on May 12, 2023, 09:24:48 PM
"Great progress, supporters back for the first time in years, great resurgence of Down Football." Listening to a lot of solid cow dung being talked this last few weeks in the papers and yet we are still in Divison 3 and hammered in an Ulster championship match by double digits and have now seen the first group of players walk away from the panel due to Kilcoo favouritism in selection.

Tally was crucified for playing defensive football but he got us out of a stronger division 3 and was so close to an Ulster final playing good football. Plus he was on a fraction of what the current set up are on and they are all "great Down men" Mickey Donnelly also getting a slab of dough for what? Be safer being fired into our underage teams or schools that are currently a mess.

Who all has walked away Redandblackareback ?

Do you honestly believe Tally was on a fraction of our current set up ??

You know that for a fact ?

Lotto

redandblackareback, I can't believe you don't realise that we are now a pro Laverty zone here now, absolutely no criticism is tolerated. We are moving forward, we are a work in progress blah blah blah. It takes very little to please some people but I too have seen very little progress.

Compare the tactics between Laverty and Tally, messy boy if you can please.

messy gael

Quote from: Lotto on May 12, 2023, 10:02:18 PM
redandblackareback, I can't believe you don't realise that we are now a pro Laverty zone here now, absolutely no criticism is tolerated. We are moving forward, we are a work in progress blah blah blah. It takes very little to please some people but I too have seen very little progress.

Compare the tactics between Laverty and Tally, messy boy if you can please.

Lotto
So you have seen very little progress ??

You of all people who absolutely hate the manager have seen little or no progress.  What lens do you actually look out from because if you can be brutally honest and say that Down as a county has not been making progress under our current manager from U20 to what the seniors have done so far  this season then your delusional. 

Let's be honest.  Tally did a decent job whilst at the helm. But tactically it was tough to watch.  Our County Board pushed Tally as far as I'm aware after a thumping by a team that we went out and beat this year on 2 occasions

Laverty is still building his team. And playing with the tools that he can play with this year.  Conditioning wise it's obvious we are behind other counties but Johnny Davis will have these lads in better condition in time.  Squad wise it's the best squad Down has seen in many years The only obvious absentee for me is Dabs Brannigan..: who else can you name ?  no doubt he will bring the younger lads along from the 20's and we need to give them lads time to grow / condition   

Squad wise over next few years I think it will be as good as it has been if these bunch stick together but it's gonna take time.

Hopefully you "haters" will give the manager and his team time. 

I get you hate him.  That's fine. Impossible to like everybody in life

But progress has been made. 

Stop firing the stupid narrative that it hasn't. 

He will be about for a few years and near time you guys accept it

Lotto

We have to be one of the most clueless defensive teams currently even though we apparently have a genius of a manager, so conceding

1-11 to Tipperary
2-17 to Antrim
2-14 to Fermanagh
0-11 to Westmeath
2-14  to Cavan
1-14 to Longford
0-9 to Offaly

Some powerhouses there, yeah real progress alright.

thewobbler

Quote from: Lotto on May 12, 2023, 10:40:35 PM
We have to be one of the most clueless defensive teams currently even though we apparently have a genius of a manager, so conceding

1-11 to Tipperary
2-17 to Antrim
2-14 to Fermanagh
0-11 to Westmeath
2-14  to Cavan
1-14 to Longford
0-9 to Offaly

Some powerhouses there, yeah real progress alright.

What?

Why can't there be a middleground between "genius" and "dogshit" anymore? Why does everything less than perfect have to be shit?

The current Down mgt, led by Laverty, has done something that hasn't happened in a generation. There is an absolutely tangible belief that the gap between Down and the big teams is narrowing, not growing.

Players now want to play for Down. Our team might be beaten, but we aren't beaten before we start.

Going forward, is Laverty going to have to start assessing his club mates, at this level, in the same way he assesses others? Of course. Does he have a handful of old hands who need moved along? Of course. Does his team need a little more variety when attacking? Of course.

But if there's a Down follower - including you Lotto - who honestly believes that Down are behind where they should be at this stage of a new manager's tenure... then honestly, it's a desire built on either stupidity or insanity.