The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Hound on January 15, 2009, 04:19:30 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 15, 2009, 02:29:45 PM
The FA have banned players while charged in the past... why not again?
Who have the FA banned for getting arrested for a non-football incident?
John Terry, Lee Bowyer, and Jonathon Woodgate. In addition IIRC England U21s did not consider Jody Morris as well, but this may have been for footballing reasons.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

magpie seanie

Dennis Wise was stripped of the Chelsea captaincy by Hoddle. Did the FA not consider punishing him too? He may not have been picked for England or something.

corn02

Liverpool co-chairman Tom Hicks gave an interview to Sky Sports News earlier today - here's what he had to say in full.
Journalist: What is your reaction to news that Rafa Benitez has rejected his contract offer?

Hicks: As Rafa says, we have a strong working relationship and we're united behind the team. We understand Rafa's frustrations and we're committed to working with him and his advisors to find a solution here. We'll keep talking. I'm coming over for the Chelsea match and we'd already planned to get together on the 30th and 31st to talk over a number of issues. We'll clear up anything that's been talked about here and now we want to keep our focus on the pitch - we've got the derby coming up.

Journalist: Do you understand where he's coming from with regards to control over transfers?

Hicks: Well, Rafa's been frustrated for a long time now about the length of time it takes for certain things to happen, and I think he's just trying to, you know, position himself to be able to do his job better. There are balances that need to be achieved in English football and we'll work through these things.

Journalist: He's said in the past that he's been frustrated with the time things take - does he have a point there?

Hicks: Well, sure he does - but we can fix that, and we will.

Journalist: Are the problems highlighted today fixable?

Hicks: I'm absolutely comfortable in saying Rafa loves Liverpool and will be the manager.

Journalist: How do you move on from this. You say you have a meeting at the end of the month - is that where these things will be thrashed out?

Hicks: George and I will be working with the lawyers to get this resolved. I am just not worried about it at all.

Journalist: How will this affect things on the pitch, because you've said in the past that you're happy with how things are going on the pitch? Liverpool are going well, aren't they? Will this affect that?

Hicks: Oh, I hope not. That's why Rafa's advisors have wanted to slow things down and try to take attention away from this. They want to stay focused on the pitch.

Journalist: So in terms of your relationship with Rafa, and George's, how does that stand at the moment?

Hicks: You know, I have had a great relationship with Rafa in this past year. We talk often and e-mail even more often. I have had a lot of fun watching him doing a great job this year and we've got a great relationship.

Journalist: So to reiterate, do you feel as though the problems with the contract negotiations can be worked out?

Hicks: I do - I certainly do. There are certainly no issues between Rafa and the owners in any way. There are issues he wants to work out to make things better for the club.

Journalist: And as far as the season is going - how pleased are you?

Hicks: Well, you can't complain at being first. We'd have liked a couple more points last weekend but we've now got to worry about Everton on Monday.

Journalist: What's your message to any Liverpool fans out there?

Hicks: They should relax - Rafa is going to be manager of Liverpool for the next five years and we'll work through these little lawyer issues.

corn02

No figure yet. I'd say abour 2.5 to 3 million.

Liverpool have accepted a bid from Portsmouth for winger Jermaine Pennant.
The 26-year-old, whose Anfield contract expires in the summer, will now discuss personal terms with the south coast club over the next few days.

Pennant has represented Liverpool 79 times, scoring three goals along the way - the most memorable coming against Chelsea at the Anfield Road End in January 2006.

He was signed by Rafa Benitez in the summer of 2006 and played in the European Cup final defeat to AC Milan a year later.

Minder

Quote from: corn02 on January 16, 2009, 02:59:53 PM

The 26-year-old, whose Anfield contract expires in the summer, will now discuss personal terms with the south coast club over the next few days.

Pennant has represented Liverpool 79 times, scoring three goals along the way - the most memorable coming against Chelsea at the Anfield Road End in January 2006.

He was signed by Rafa Benitez in the summer of 2006 and played in the European Cup final defeat to AC Milan a year later.

Are we paying Pompey that to take him, not bad business at all..........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

corn02

Quote from: Minder on January 16, 2009, 03:03:08 PM

A tad harsh. Always felt he had plenty of abilty, his attitude was not right though. He will do well at Pompey and Crouch will be glad of him

Minder

Quote from: corn02 on January 16, 2009, 03:06:32 PM

A tad harsh. Always felt he had plenty of abilty, his attitude was not right though. He will do well at Pompey and Crouch will be glad of him

Do yuo think his attutude will improve any at Portsmouth?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

corn02

Quote from: Minder on January 16, 2009, 03:40:07 PM
Quote from: corn02 on January 16, 2009, 03:06:32 PM

Do yuo think his attutude will improve any at Portsmouth?

Probably not, but he will play more there. For all his shennanigans, laziness and drinking, he still would play if selected and he will be a regular at Fratton.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 16, 2009, 02:12:12 PM
Dennis Wise was stripped of the Chelsea captaincy by Hoddle. Did the FA not consider punishing him too? He may not have been picked for England or something.

I could be wrong but if I remember Chelsea punished Wise after he was found guilty. Wise was then subsequently cleared on appeal.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

FermGael

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/7833429.stm
QuoteLiverpool winger Jermaine Pennant says he does not want to join Portsmouth after the two clubs agreed a fee.

The 26-year-old was expected to go for talks at Fratton Park in the next few days, but he remains convinced his future is at Anfield.

"My preference is to stay at Liverpool and I am still hoping to do so. I do not want to leave," said Pennant.

"I am happy to compete for my place here and hope that I am given the chance to do so."

Pennant has played 81 times for Liverpool since joining from Birmingham in July 2006, but has only featured four times so far this season.

Pompey boss Tony Adams, who knows Pennant from their time together at Arsenal, is desperate to sign a player who has been interesting Real Madrid and AC Milan.

"Jermaine is a player I have been tracking because he is not getting regular first-team football," said Adams.

"I realised he wasn't in the team at Liverpool, he was a bit-part player, and I said to our executive chairman Peter Storrie that we might be able to give him a platform to play football.

"We have had a bid accepted by Liverpool and we want to get him down here ASAP."

Pennant began his career with Notts County before moving to Arsenal and he also played on loan for Watford and Leeds before joining Birmingham.

Looks like Pennant is happy enough earning £40,000 a week for bench warming.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

stiffler

For all those rafa bashers...please provide a few names of suggested replacements?

Rafa has his faults, though i firnly believe he is the best man for the job.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Hound

Quote from: FermGael on January 16, 2009, 06:44:34 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/7833429.stm
QuoteLiverpool winger Jermaine Pennant says he does not want to join Portsmouth after the two clubs agreed a fee.

The 26-year-old was expected to go for talks at Fratton Park in the next few days, but he remains convinced his future is at Anfield.

"My preference is to stay at Liverpool and I am still hoping to do so. I do not want to leave," said Pennant.

"I am happy to compete for my place here and hope that I am given the chance to do so."

Pennant has played 81 times for Liverpool since joining from Birmingham in July 2006, but has only featured four times so far this season.

Pompey boss Tony Adams, who knows Pennant from their time together at Arsenal, is desperate to sign a player who has been interesting Real Madrid and AC Milan.

"Jermaine is a player I have been tracking because he is not getting regular first-team football," said Adams.

"I realised he wasn't in the team at Liverpool, he was a bit-part player, and I said to our executive chairman Peter Storrie that we might be able to give him a platform to play football.

"We have had a bid accepted by Liverpool and we want to get him down here ASAP."

Pennant began his career with Notts County before moving to Arsenal and he also played on loan for Watford and Leeds before joining Birmingham.

Looks like Pennant is happy enough earning £40,000 a week for bench warming.

Not surprised.
Liverpool accepted a bid from Hull in the summer, but Pennant wouldnt go

magpie seanie

Quote from: stiffler on January 16, 2009, 06:56:37 PM
For all those rafa bashers...please provide a few names of suggested replacements?

Rafa has his faults, though i firnly believe he is the best man for the job.

Stephen Staunton. Please.

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: heganboy on January 16, 2009, 08:25:16 PM
His royal Keaneness

Sure the only team he has managed is Mayfield in Celebrity Bainisteoir  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.