The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Watched this one and overall Liverpool well deserved it. Of course Styles ballsed up with disallowing the Bolton goal just before half time (was either a penalty or a goal in my book) but as I've always said these things even themselves out over a season and to be honest I think Liverpool would have won anyway. If the goal was allowed it would only have made it more interesting. Liverpool played with great confidence today. Kuyt to be fair was excellent again. Keane, though not really a good player, believes he is class and keeps going even when he makes fuckups like the crazy miss today. He works fairly hard for Liverpool but that chance showed that he is not a natural goalscorer.

Liverpool have several wins in the bag already this year that they would have drawn/lost previously. They have a shallower squad that United or Chelsea which you would expect might bite them later in the year but it just mightn't either. They'll need luck with injuries but for the first time in ages I would concede they possibly have a chance.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2008, 07:23:57 PM
Watched this one and overall Liverpool well deserved it. Of course Styles ballsed up with disallowing the Bolton goal just before half time (was either a penalty or a goal in my book) but as I've always said these things even themselves out over a season and to be honest I think Liverpool would have won anyway. If the goal was allowed it would only have made it more interesting. Liverpool played with great confidence today. Kuyt to be fair was excellent again. Keane, though not really a good player, believes he is class and keeps going even when he makes fuckups like the crazy miss today. He works fairly hard for Liverpool but that chance showed that he is not a natural goalscorer.

Liverpool have several wins in the bag already this year that they would have drawn/lost previously. They have a shallower squad that United or Chelsea which you would expect might bite them later in the year but it just mightn't either. They'll need luck with injuries but for the first time in ages I would concede they possibly have a chance.

Not a natural goal scorer,oh jesus give me strength  ::)

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

Quote from: J70 on November 15, 2008, 06:58:42 PM
Quote from: Minder on November 15, 2008, 05:51:14 PM
hopefully Carragher will not have to play too many games at full back

Why would he? Is Arbeloa not back next game?
Players can get injured i believe, Carra is too slow for rb and his distribution can be sketchy too,he must have put about five out of play today under little pressure.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stevo-08

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2008, 07:23:57 PM

would agree with that. they've definitely the best chance ever of challenging for the PL. But as you say dont have the squad that united/chelsea have, so cant afford any more injuries. And with injuries to torres, skrtel & gerrard so far this season, hopefully we'll get a better run of luck there.

on todays game, great to get the 3 points and fully deserved. Gerrard, Torres & Kuyt could all have scored 2 apiece and with Keane & Lucas missing sitters, it could have ended up 8-3!!! Anyway on the positive side, at least we are playing fairly well and making chances, which is different to last few seasons.

The next couple of weeks are crucial to the title race IMO. United have played their 3 toughest games and are still only 5 points behind the leaders (assuming they win game in hand). They go away to villa next week and then travel to city - 6 points there will set them up nicely for a title charge in 2nd half of the season. We really need them to drop more points...

J70

Quote from: Minder on November 15, 2008, 07:51:33 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 15, 2008, 06:58:42 PM
Quote from: Minder on November 15, 2008, 05:51:14 PM
hopefully Carragher will not have to play too many games at full back

Why would he? Is Arbeloa not back next game?
Players can get injured i believe, Carra is too slow for rb and his distribution can be sketchy too,he must have put about five out of play today under little pressure.

They just bought Degen. He's been injured for almost the entire time so far, fair enough, but give him a chance. I'd say there is zero chance of the Americans allowing Rafa to buy another full-back in January. In fact, I'm not sure where Rafa is going to strengthen, unless he sells one or two as well.

magpie seanie

By the way folks I wish to apologise for my comments about Scott Carson's assist last week. Latest eveidence would suggest that he is just completely shit.

Norf Tyrone

What about Benitez' comments today re Torres? Do you think he is trying to motivate him, or take the sting out of fan reaction if the January transfer rumours are true?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

J70

Benitez said that Torres is not guaranteed a place in the side; he has to fight for it. That's controversial stuff... ::)

As for "January transfer rumours"... get a grip!

corn02

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 16, 2008, 12:26:24 AM
By the way folks I wish to apologise for my comments about Scott Carson's assist last week. Latest eveidence would suggest that he is just completely shit.

:D

corn02

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 16, 2008, 04:50:06 PM
What about Benitez' comments today re Torres? Do you think he is trying to motivate him, or take the sting out of fan reaction if the January transfer rumours are true?

Shit stirrer. Near had a heart attack until I read the comments.  ;)

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: J70 on November 16, 2008, 04:54:48 PM
Benitez said that Torres is not guaranteed a place in the side; he has to fight for it. That's controversial stuff... ::)

FFS J70 wind your neck in. It was a serious question that I posed to get an opinion from those more knowledgable than myself. In the quote that I seen (Perhaps it was edited)  Benitez appeared to be critical of Torres, something which he has not done before.

I was listening to R5 last week and some sporting economist reckons that Liverpool are finding the squeeze more than any other club, and the WILL have to sell some of their prized assets in January.

Perhaps I am putting two and two together but if so it wasn't, at least on this occasion, a wind up.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

brokencrossbar1

Benetiz would be hanged from Shankley Gates if he were any part of Torres be sold and he knows that.  I think it is a subtle confidence booster to an obviously struggling Keane by suggesting this after starting Keane in front of him yesterday.  In regards to the squeeze I am sure that it is true that Liverpool are struggling more than most but I think that the Yanks will sell before the end of the season.

GalwayBayBoy

Andy Hunter
The Guardian, Wednesday November 12 2008

Fernando Torres has said he has no intention of leaving Liverpool for Chelsea or any other European club as the Spain international prepares to return to Rafael Benítez's starting line-up at Tottenham Hotspur tonight.

The £26.5m record signing is scheduled to make his first start since October 5 in the Carling Cup fourth-round tie, and announced his recovery from a hamstring tear yesterday by reaffirming his commitment to Anfield. Torres was a supposed target for Luiz Felipe Scolari when the Brazilian first arrived at Stamford Bridge, although no contact was ever made with Liverpool over the player who has become one of the most coveted in the game.

However, the 24-year-old, who signed a six-year contract when he joined Liverpool from Atlético Madrid last year, said: "I have no plans to go anywhere, not back to Spain, not to Italy, not to another English club. I read a lot of things [about Chelsea in the summer] but I was at the European Championships and I did not want any distractions. I don't know if they spoke with the club or with my agent. But in any case even if there was something in it nothing was ever going to make me abandon Liverpool."

Torres hailed the Liverpool manager, Benítez, as "the best coach I have ever had without doubt" and admitted the priority at Anfield this season has to be winning the league title. He added: "When I arrived at Liverpool, everyone talked about the league. We have won it 19 times and Manchester United 18. If they win it this season then they draw level and the fans don't want that. I think 90% of Liverpool fans would prefer the league."

nifan

QuoteWe have won it 19 times and Manchester United 18.

close but no cigar nando

J70

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 16, 2008, 09:29:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 16, 2008, 04:54:48 PM

FFS J70 wind your neck in. It was a serious question that I posed to get an opinion from those more knowledgable than myself. In the quote that I seen (Perhaps it was edited)  Benitez appeared to be critical of Torres, something which he has not done before.

I was listening to R5 last week and some sporting economist reckons that Liverpool are finding the squeeze more than any other club, and the WILL have to sell some of their prized assets in January.

Perhaps I am putting two and two together but if so it wasn't, at least on this occasion, a wind up.

LOL, I have no idea what "wind your neck in" means, but you're obviously not happy, so I apologize. I assumed you were just looking to get a rise.

Liverpool will let some of the dead wood like Pennant and so on go before they start looking to offload the likes of Torres or Gerrard. That is not going to happen. They might have to go with a thinner squad and promote some of the youngsters though.