The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

QuoteHe was superior to Rush in every aspect of his game.

they are definitely comparable, Henrik smarter player, Rush more instinctive goal scorer
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

under the bar

QuoteDont think his team mates at barca were too bad either.

So this explains why his goals-to-minutes on the field was superior to every other European player??? Cos his team mates were better?  Wise up!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: under the bar on July 29, 2008, 01:53:01 PM
Quotestats stats stats
yes , but have you ever watched him play ?
He missed three chances to every goal he scored.
I am a big fan of his, but also a realist - he fluffed way too many chances

Absolute rubbish that he needed 3 chances to score.  I've watched him in the flesh dozens of times and in hundreds of other games. He was superior to Rush in every aspect of his game.  In the UEFA cup semi final he got one chance away to Boavista and tucked it away.  Against Porto 2 chances and took them both.  He won the CL for Barca virtually single-handly setting up both goals when he came on.    As a predatory goal taker he was second to none and in his ability to create an assist out of nothing he is way out on his own.   

You can mock the standard of the SPL but his Europen tally in 6 seasons eclisped every Liverpool or other English player.
Was a Celtic season ticket holder for 10 years up until last year so have seen him plenty of times and I just dont agree with your assesment.
Larsson was a superb assister of goals - much like Robbie keane
but Larsson DID miss 3 out of every four chances - but to be fair to him, the chances were mostly created by himself, his running and movement etc and you knew he would create another one to make up for the misses. I am a huge Larsson fan but have to remain realistic and not use rose tinted glasses.
I think Keane will be almost as good as Larsson if he continues to progress at Liverpool and this useless rotation system doesnt hinder his learning.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: under the bar on July 29, 2008, 01:58:29 PM
QuoteDont think his team mates at barca were too bad either.

So this explains why his goals-to-minutes on the field was superior to every other European player??? Cos his team mates were better?  Wise up!
dont want to get into arguments that neither of us can prove, but I could counter that he was brought on at the end of games when the opposition had tired...

ONeill

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 29, 2008, 12:33:37 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 28, 2008, 11:04:06 PMHe scored none for Inter in 6 games

Never scored for Inter, eh?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=phcSBb1DSs4

http://www.kickinmagazine.ie/robbiek1592000.htm

QuoteIreland international Robbie Keane scored his third competitive goal in three consecutive games as he helped Inter Milan to an important win against Ruch Chorzow in The UEFA Cup in Poland last night.

Keane got back to striking form when he scored the opening goal in Ireland's 2-2 draw against Holland at the start of the month and he followed that up with Inter's first in their 4-3 loss in the Italian SuperCup against Lazio last weekend.

Last night's goal was the third of three for the Italians on the night and it settled the game in Inter's favour. Inter struggled to break down the stubborn Polish defence until coach Marcello Lippi decided on a change in the 55th minute.

Lippi replaced Yugoslavian midfielder Vladimir Jugovic with the more attack minded Uruguayan Alvaro Recoba which lit the touchpaper. His impact was immediate as he swung over a corner, which Clarence Seedorf cracked into the net with a great volley.

Keane could have doubled the scoring a minute later when he got on the end of a Vampeta ball to hit a magnificent goalbound volley, but the goalkeeper somehow got a touch to it.

Recoba doubled the lead with a well taken goal. After picking up the ball outside the Chorzow box he hit a curling right foot shot in the top corner of the net.

Keane finished the scoring with a trademark predatory goal. Recoba swung over a corner from the left-hand side which flew to the back post.

Columbian defender Ivan Cordoba towered above everybody to head the ball back across goal and Keane pounced right in front of goal to hook the ball into the net.

Stay off Wiki, O'Neill

Ai I said, I'm only talking league goals. He played 6 league games for Inter.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

under the bar

Quotedont want to get into arguments that neither of us can prove, but I could counter that he was brought on at the end of games when the opposition had tired...

If you'd watched La Liga you wouldn't be countering with that.   

Fact is Larsson's biggest strength was that he could change games.   He proved himself at every level and his scoring/assits record speaks for itself.   You don't get spoken of in the 'World Class' bracket by missing 3 out of 4 and Larsson deffo didn't do that.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: under the bar on July 29, 2008, 02:12:50 PM
Quotedont want to get into arguments that neither of us can prove, but I could counter that he was brought on at the end of games when the opposition had tired...
If you'd watched La Liga you wouldn't be countering with that.   
Fact is Larsson's biggest strength was that he could change games.   He proved himself at every level and his scoring/assits record speaks for itself.   You don't get spoken of in the 'World Class' bracket by missing 3 out of 4 and Larsson deffo didn't do that.
Larsson only changed two games that I can recall. The UEFA cup semi final v boavista and the scots cup final v dunf. (I am not forgetting about the uefa cup final , and while he scored two great goals, he didnt change the game).

Larsson continually missed bagfuls of chances , most notably v rangers almost every time he played against them  - apart from the 6-2 game. Even then he was guilty of fluffing a couple that day.
I think we may as well give up here. You are not going to agree with me on this and vice versa.

I hope Robbie Keane does turn out to be a 'new larsson' - better still if he imporves on his (and larssons) shooting boots.
Thats all I am going to post on this as we have gone off topic.

magpie seanie

I seem to remember Larsson doing ok when he came off the bench in a Champions League final too.

The comparison is a ridiculous one. In terms of chances missed to scored ratio Andy Cole would be more appropriate. Keane a better all rounder than Cole but not as instinctive.

nifan

I like keane, but has he stopped that celebration?

AZOffaly

The ridiculous comparison is Larsson to Rush. I stopped reading when I saw that.

under the bar

QuoteLarsson only changed two games that I can recall. The UEFA cup semi final v boavista and the scots cup final v dunf. (I am not forgetting about the uefa cup final , and while he scored two great goals, he didnt change the game).

I was referring to his ability to change game coming from the bench into the position allocated (wing, striker, off the front 2 etc)  How can you change the game when you play 90 mins??

I can't recall him missing 'bagfuls' v rangers and I was at almost every one of those games.

Yes the comparison with Rush is ridiculous.  Larsson make Rush look like Gary Doherty!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: nifan on July 29, 2008, 02:36:11 PM
I like keane, but has he stopped that celebration?

He said he would do it for the forst goal he scores for Liverpool and then that would be that!

Larsson and Rush are not comparable.  Keane and Larsson are not comparable.  Players are generally not comparable and at a time when team is everything, how a player fits into a system will define how effective he is.  I think therefore that Keane will be a success at Liverpool as he is adaptable.

AZOffaly

That's crazy talk under the bar. Ian Rush and Henrilk Larsson are like chalk and cheese. Rush was a pure goal sniffer and a fantastic player in that Liverpool side. Larsson is/was a completely different player.

They'd have made a decent partnership mind.

under the bar

QuoteThat's crazy talk under the bar. Ian Rush and Henrilk Larsson are like chalk and cheese. Rush was a pure goal sniffer and a fantastic player in that Liverpool side. Larsson is/was a completely different player.

They'd have made a decent partnership mind.

AZ I'm not the man who compared the two.  I've said they are different all along & yes they would complement one aother as Larsson would set them on a plate for Rush.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: under the bar on July 29, 2008, 02:51:14 PM
QuoteLarsson only changed two games that I can recall. The UEFA cup semi final v boavista and the scots cup final v dunf. (I am not forgetting about the uefa cup final , and while he scored two great goals, he didnt change the game).
Yes the comparison with Rush is ridiculous.  Larsson make Rush look like Gary Doherty!

Think you're forgetting how great a goalscorer Rush was. Definitely a better finisher than Larsson ever was although Larsson had more to his game outside the penalty area.