The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingobus

Quote from: Whacker on July 07, 2008, 05:25:01 PM
So who are they lined up then?

Tottenham staying very quiet about Keane.

Ronaldo  ;)

Must be someone but I suspect that either Spurs had no intention of taking Crouch or Keane is dead. Or Perhaps Voronin has had a hair cut, lost 2 stone, found a first touch, leant when/how to pass and got directions to the goal.

Mentalman

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7493493.stm

Liverpool sign young Dane Saric

Liverpool have completed a deal for Denmark Under-18 international forward Nikola Saric.
The 17-year-old former Herfolge player has signed a four-year contract, which is thought to be worth about £900,000.
The left-footed Saric is a versatile attacker and can play on the left or right wing or as a central striker.
He spent some time on trial with SC Heerenveen at the Otten Cup tournament, hosted by PSV Eindhoven, from the end of May to the start of June.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 07, 2008, 04:04:54 PM
Good business for Liverpool that. Will be interesting to see how Crouch and Defoe work together.

I think they could be lethal. I have seen a fair few players in the flesh watching Chelsea over the years, and Defoe was one of the few that definately stood out. Always like him. Crouch and him could be a good foil. I'll put my head on the block early doors....Pompey for 5th spot.

Those two, with Diarra are effectivelly three excellent players that they did not have all of last season. The ACN would've affected them too.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Mentalman

Short another one for the start of the season...

QuoteStar duo in Brazil Olympics squad 
Ronaldinho and Robinho are the star attractions in the Brazil squad
Barcelona's Ronaldinho and Real Madrid forward Robinho will lead Brazil's assault on a first Olympic football gold in Beijing in August.

Manchester United midfielder Anderson is one of three Premier League players selected in the 18-man squad.

Manchester City's new record signing Jo, Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva and Anderson will all miss the start of the new season.

The Olympics is the only significant title Brazil have never won.

The Brazilians won the silver medal twice, in 1984 in Los Angeles and 1988 in Seoul and they won the bronze in 1996 in Atlanta.

Brazil are in Group C with Belgium, China and New Zealand and begin their campaign on 8 August against Belgium.

Coach Dunga picked Fluminense defender Thiago Silva as the third player older than 23 in the squad, in addition to Ronaldinho and Robinho.

"The experience factor can be decisive in the Olympics," Dunga said.

"That's why several players born in 1985 were chosen, and even the youngsters already have international experience."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goalkeepers: Diego Alves (Almeria), Renan (Internacional). Defenders: Ilsinho (Shakhtar Donetsk), Rafinha (Shalke), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Alex Silva (Sao Paulo), Breno (Bayern Munich), Thiago Silva (Fluminense).
Midfielders: Anderson (Manchester United), Diego (Werder Bremen); Hernanes (Sao Paulo), Lucas (Liverpool), Ronaldinho (FC Barcelona), Thiago Neves (Fluminense).
Forwards: Alexandre Pato (AC Milan), Jo (Manchester City), Rafael Sobis (Real Betis), Robinho (Real Madrid).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/football/7494600.stm

stevo-08

Thats Lucas & Masch gone for the first 2-3 games. But back in time for the Utd game.
Will mean a CM partnership of gerrard & barry/alonso for first couple of games.

GalwayBayBoy

Midfielder Xabi Alonso wants to stay at Liverpool and win the Premier League title despite reports suggesting he is wanted by Juventus.
The Spain international had been expected to leave Anfield this summer after slipping down the pecking order last season.

But the 26-year-old former Real Sociedad star, who has made over 110 appearances during his four seasons with the Reds, is hoping to persuade manager Rafael Benitez that his future remains with the Merseyside club.

Juve are reported to be willing to pay up to £12million for Alonso, who has now spoken about his future for the first time since helping Spain triumph at Euro 2008.

"Everyone treats me so well here," he said.

"There are a few stories over a possible transfer but I would prefer not to talk about my future.

"I want to win the Premier League as that is the only trophy which is missing."

Mentalman

I'm glad, would be glad to see him stay and show his worth, but I still think he will be on his way - if the gaffer doesn't want him, and needs the money, then moving on is inevitable.

Hound

If Barry signs, then Alonso goes. That's certain. Though it might be nice to defer it until towards the end of the transfer window so he can play when Mascho and Lucas are away. I think the Italian season usually starts later than the English season too.

I see Rafa mentioned Villa as on his list of potential replacements for Crouch, though in the same breath he said it will be "difficult". I think it means what most of us have said already - he'd like him but can't afford him.

In addition to the Tranmere game on Saturday, Liverpool's friendlies v Hertha Berlin (Tues 22/7 1845) and v Valerenga (Tues 5/8 1800) are confirmed as live on Setanta Sports.

Mentalman

I think the aspiration to sign Villa is just that, cannot see it happening unfortunately. Didn't like this bit so much...

"We have Torres, Voronin, Kuyt, Babel and Steven Gerrard, who can play as a second striker," Benitez said. "But we will try to bring in another option."

Torres - not a second striker, he's the frontline striker, how can he play second striker to himself?
Voronin - not good enough.
Babel - not a second striker, he's a speed merchant.
Kuyt - who knows, was effective by times for the Dutch, but then again they actually hold and pass the ball.
Stevie G - should he be bracketed as a second striker? I suppose he does link midfield to the sole striker.

Basically, if Torres gets injured, Liverpool don't have another frontline striker, never mind a second one.

AZOffaly

I think there was an 'AND' missing there either in the quote, or in Benitez's english. We have Torres AND blah blah blah who can play as a second striker.

Mentalman

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 09, 2008, 12:17:08 PM
I think there was an 'AND' missing there either in the quote, or in Benitez's english. We have Torres AND blah blah blah who can play as a second striker.

Hope so AZ, I hope so.

I know Benitez was under pressure last year, but looking at the way this transfer window is going currently, the lack of funds, it won't be his fault if/when we are not competitive next season. He must be close to walking?

Chrisowc

Quote from: Mentalman on July 09, 2008, 12:28:26 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 09, 2008, 12:17:08 PM

Hope so AZ, I hope so.

I know Benitez was under pressure last year, but looking at the way this transfer window is going currently, the lack of funds, it won't be his fault if/when we are not competitive next season. He must be close to walking?

The only thing I hope he walks away from at this stage is the Barry deal.  Villa have turned down £15m plus Finnan.  They want £17m and all paid up within 12 months.  F**k that!
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

bingobus

Many would see Babel as been a striker in the future ala Thierry Henry. He hasn't shown on a consistent basis what he can do but still young, 21, has pace but imho needs to improve his decision making and final ball. Has the pace and can finish, expect a strong year from him this year. Kuyt is a striker first and foremost but isn't in Torres class or close to it. He finished the second half of year very strong and hopefully can continue that. Needs to get an early run of goals and does score in big games when chances are limited.

Benitez knows that them strikers won't be enough to improve on last year, I expect him to do some business to address it.

Who? I don't know but we should have money to buy a 20m striker.
At present we have earned about 5m in transfers (Crouch 11m, Riise 4m, Itnanjde 2m= 17m) (Degan Free, Dossena 9m, Brazilian Keeper 3m = 12m) plus Kewells mad wages off the books. If we sell Cuthrie (may keep him till christmas due to olympics) 2m, Carson 5m, Penant or Benayoun 5-7m thats another 12m. If Barry comes in then Alonso will go an max 1m cost. So we'd have earned 17m in net transfers and if the club can't cough up 15-20m as a transfer fund to give Rafa a budget of say 35m then we are in trouble cash wise.

35m to buy a winger and a striker:

20-23m 1: Villa 2: Robbie Keane 3: Arshavin
10-13m 1: Bentley 2:Dowining 3: Silva

This business with Barry is dragging on. I'd tell O'Neill at this stage to do one, keep Alonso and wait till christmas and see if Villa will play ball. 17m plus finnan is not good business in my book. 15m would be enough for a 27 year old, England international or not. Villa will be landed with a player they have banned from training. If another club was in the bidding, driving the price up it would be fair enough but its just Liverpool.

stevo-08

Quote from: Chrisowc on July 09, 2008, 12:34:48 PM

The only thing I hope he walks away from at this stage is the Barry deal.  Villa have turned down £15m plus Finnan.  They want £17m and all paid up within 12 months.  F**k that!

Chrisowc, where did you read that??? I think Barry would be a very good signing, but if villa have rejected 15m + Finnan, it's time to tell them where to go. Would be unfortunate on Barry who will find himsself in limbo but Liverpool just can afford to be held to ransom like that.

Quote from: bingobus on July 09, 2008, 12:38:25 PM
At present we have earned about 5m in transfers (Crouch 11m, Riise 4m, Itnanjde 2m= 17m) (Degan Free, Dossena 9m, Brazilian Keeper 3m = 12m) plus Kewells mad wages off the books. If we sell Cuthrie (may keep him till christmas due to olympics) 2m, Carson 5m, Penant or Benayoun 5-7m thats another 12m. If Barry comes in then Alonso will go an max 1m cost. So we'd have earned 17m in net transfers and if the club can't cough up 15-20m as a transfer fund to give Rafa a budget of say 35m then we are in trouble cash wise.

35m to buy a winger and a striker:

20-23m 1: Villa 2: Robbie Keane 3: Arshavin
10-13m 1: Bentley 2:Dowining 3: Silva

This business with Barry is dragging on. I'd tell O'Neill at this stage to do one, keep Alonso and wait till christmas and see if Villa will play ball. 17m plus finnan is not good business in my book. 15m would be enough for a 27 year old, England international or not. Villa will be landed with a player they have banned from training. If another club was in the bidding, driving the price up it would be fair enough but its just Liverpool.

Bingobus, the problem I see is that Carson might be the only player to leave at this stage and even thats far from a certainty. So 5m additional rather than 12m. Also, the Barry/Alonso deals could end up costing us 4-5m rather than only 1m. So Rafa will be left with the 5m profit made already plus whatever the owner throws at him for his remaining transfer kitty. In my opinion, we'll be extremely lucky to get Barry & a striker (Keane/Villa) this summer.

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!