The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Bingobus agree about Reina.  I think he has been our most consistent keeper in decades but would be worried about him deciding to head back to Spain and play for Athletico.  He has always said he wants to finish his career there and it would cost big money to replace him if Carson has gone
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

J70

He's just gone 25. He could be at Liverpool for another five or six years and still have time for a long spell at Atletico. There's no way a good keeper like Carson can sit as second choice at Liverpool for a few years. I've never understood that about Cudicini, who was arguably one of the top keepers in the league before Cech joined Chelsea. Or the Polish lad at United either, who seemed too good to me to join a team as a back-up.

Balboa

Lads i must have been watching a different match re Voronin, did nobody see the two miskicks when he had excellent chances? He gets so many chances and finishes very few of them. As for Torres if he wasnt 100% fit there was no point in risking him, if the squad we have are not capable of beating Fulham without Torres they should pack up and go home. Torres is pure gold and seems to be head and shoulders above any other striker in the Premiership.

J70

Voronin is not really in there as a finisher, though, is he? He plays as the striker who drops off. He did a lot of good stuff today, and was very unlucky with the shot just before he was subbed. I thought he had a very good game, miskicks or not.

Balboa

Quote from: J70 on November 10, 2007, 09:00:00 PM
Voronin is not really in there as a finisher, though, is he? He plays as the striker who drops off. He did a lot of good stuff today, and was very unlucky with the shot just before he was subbed. I thought he had a very good game, miskicks or not.

He may not be there as a finisher but when someone plays as advanced as that you want him to be able to put the ball in the net,if Carragher misses a few i wouldnt be worried as that isnt his primary job but when one of the strikers misses as many as Voronin you will have problems. What happens when we play United, Chelsea, Arsenal etc when you wont get 5/6 clear cut chances and a gilt edged one falls to Voronin instead of Torres.......

J70

Quote from: Balboa on November 10, 2007, 09:03:53 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 10, 2007, 09:00:00 PM

He may not be there as a finisher but when someone plays as advanced as that you want him to be able to put the ball in the net,if Carragher misses a few i wouldnt be worried as that isnt his primary job but when one of the strikers misses as many as Voronin you will have problems. What happens when we play United, Chelsea, Arsenal etc when you wont get 5/6 clear cut chances and a gilt edged one falls to Voronin instead of Torres.......

Does he miss more than Kuyt or Crouch? I think I've even seen Torres miss a couple this season. Yes, Voronin mistimed two shots from crosses flying in perpendicular to him (for which timing has to be spot on), but given his overall performance and several other decent attempts, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. If you think he was/is shite, fine. It's football, not science.

Balboa

Who said it was science J70? I dont think he is anything other than a squad player, and hopefully Benitez will get someone in during the transfer window, and since you ask i dont rate Crouch or Kuyt either.

J70

I meant that this is a subjective argument that can't be won. If you want to insist that Voronin was shit because you think that two mistimed attempts at shots negate everything else he did, there's not much I can do except disagree.

You really think they're going to fork out for another top-class striker in January? I doubt it. Maybe if Crouch leaves or Torres gets a long-term injury, but otherwise I can't see it. Benitez likes to play with a withdrawn striker to link up the play (as do most clubs these days). Voronin and Kuyt (when on form), do that job pretty well and I cannot see another 20 million being forked out so soon, especially if they're still in the Champions League and all the best players are cup-tied.

Balboa

There has been talk for ages that Crouch will go in the transfer window, if they get decent money they should let him go. I dont think they will be paying £20 million for anyone in January, deals of that magnitude are almost always done in the summer. As for players being cup tied for Champions league, well it may not matter by then !

J70

If they're not willing to fork out the money, they're probably not going to get anyone who is much of an improvement on what they already have. If you want a top-class finisher, you're going to have to pay.

ONeill

Torres is, as i said a while ago, an Henry for Liverpool. He'll score you 25+ from next season on.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Balboa

Quote from: ONeill on November 10, 2007, 11:28:22 PM
Torres is, as i said a while ago, an Henry for Liverpool. He'll score you 25+ from next season on.

You are a bit like me O'Neill, always right. Aye he seems to be a cut above most players in the premiership, he always seems a couple of steps ahead of the defenders.

Over the Bar

The fact that he's the only Liverpool striker worth tuppence certainly makes him look good.  Kuyt and Voronin are akin to Championship standard versions of Mark Hughes, leaving you with no effective back up for Torres.  Don't expect him to dig you out of a hole at every time of asking.

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteKuyt and Voronin are akin to Championship standard versions of Mark Hughes

Kuyt and Hughes' scoring ratios are actually pretty similiar. Both average roughly 1 goal in every 3 games. Hughes around a lot longer though obviously.

J70

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 12, 2007, 12:58:17 PM
QuoteKuyt and Voronin are akin to Championship standard versions of Mark Hughes

Kuyt and Hughes' scoring ratios are actually pretty similiar. Both average roughly 1 goal in every 3 games. Hughes around a lot longer though obviously.

Don't cloud the "argument" with statistics! :P