Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: bamboo on March 05, 2013, 12:35:12 PM
One for the marathon boys here.

If you were planning to do a marathon, assuming that the person has trained to the required standard and has done his longest " long run" by this stage, would this be a feasible option?

29th Sept : Half Marathon
13th Oct : 16 mile road race
20th Oct : Marathon

Yay or Nay?

I would have thought so... I would even think if you hadn't done anything and just started training now you could go for that itinerary.

ballinaman

Quote from: screenexile on March 05, 2013, 01:54:34 PM
Quote from: bamboo on March 05, 2013, 12:35:12 PM
One for the marathon boys here.

If you were planning to do a marathon, assuming that the person has trained to the required standard and has done his longest " long run" by this stage, would this be a feasible option?

29th Sept : Half Marathon
13th Oct : 16 mile road race
20th Oct : Marathon

Yay or Nay?

I would have thought so... I would even think if you hadn't done anything and just started training now you could go for that itinerary.
I'd ditch the 16 mile road race, should be tapering with a week to go.

bamboo

Was just about to ask that Ballinaman.

Seriously thinking of giving it a shot for charity as i have the bug at the minute and i'm afraid if i don't do it now, it may never happen again.

Plus it will keep me focussed throughout the summer drinking season.

Would the 16miler really affect me that much?

imtommygunn

It would. You would want to be at the top of your game for a marathon. You shouldn't be doing anything like that a week before one.

If you were to do it you shouldn't be racing it that's for sure.

bamboo

I certainly wouldn't be racing it i doubt. I'm planning on running the 1st 2 at a leisurely pace. Would have been using it as a final training run if anything.

I'm looking at a few diff options so nothing set in stone yet but the better it sounds on paper, the more money i'm hoping to raise.

As i said, nothings booked yet but was looking a bit of advice from you experienced boyo's.

I really wanna do it. The half will be in windsor, the 16er in Kingston with the marathon being in Amsterdam.

Where better to celebrate such an achievement??

Bingo

Quote from: bamboo on March 05, 2013, 02:40:19 PM
I certainly wouldn't be racing it i doubt. I'm planning on running the 1st 2 at a leisurely pace. Would have been using it as a final training run if anything.

I'm looking at a few diff options so nothing set in stone yet but the better it sounds on paper, the more money i'm hoping to raise.

As i said, nothings booked yet but was looking a bit of advice from you experienced boyo's.

I really wanna do it. The half will be in windsor, the 16er in Kingston with the marathon being in Amsterdam.

Well Bamboo, you got very ambitous very quickly  ;D  ;) Fair play. I'm doing my second one in a few weeks time.

For my first one in Dublin last year, I did very little the last two weeks, don't think i went over 10 miles in any one run and it was all about resting the legs and getting them ready for whats ahead. The weekend before I did very little.

One of the lads you'd know, GM ex-county keeper, did Amsterdam and then did Dublin and had a better time in Dublin. He'd have a few marathons under his belt, so a few big runs can be done before the marathon.

He said Amsterdam is a good marathon with lots doing it but it takes you out of the city and through rural and industrial areas and back in the same way to finish in a sports stadium. Not the big city buzz and crowd support you get in the other marathons including Dublin which is the following week from Amsterdam.

ballinaman

Quote from: bamboo on March 05, 2013, 02:40:19 PM

I'd still think about ditching the 16 mile run the week before, especially prior to your first marathon. You are going to need everything you have in the tank for it. It could destroy you over the last 6 miles in the marathon so best to taper down the week before, something like 7,6,5,4,3,0,0 is what I did before Dublin last year.

bamboo

Thanks lads, justified my reasons for posting with all those responses.

So if i was to swap Amsterdam for Dublin i'd be giving myself a better chance of enjoying it is what i'm gathering. I'm reluctant to drop the 16miler as i feel i can get a few people over here on board for that at least. That would give me 2 weeks plus to recover and taper down as recommended. can i get the boards approval for this :) ?

I chose Amsterdam originally as i'd never been there before but in fairness Dublin is a far better option, gives more family and friends a chance to come along and also would have a bigger public crowd to push me along.

Bingo, i haven't been this fit since i was banging in the goals for the Grattans "C" team in St.Marys park on a Sunday morning! I'm addicted at the minute and i want to do this while i still have it in me. I originally started cos i wanted to get in shape for the brothers wedding in a few weeks but never thought i'd enjoy it this much or get in shape so quickly. I'm down to 12st12lb at last weigh in from 17st last Nov!!

I knew that GM was a bit of a runner alright, i wouldn't be anywhere near his standard yet. I'm probably a better goalie though i reckon.

Thanks again lads, be prepared for me to annoy ye a lot more over the coming months for advice etc.

Bingo

Well Bamboo,

Yeah, the 2 week break between 16miler and Dublin would be more realistic but be important not to "race" the 16miler ie forget about time and do it below your race pace or at a pace that is easy on the system. You'd have my vote on that basis.

The crowd in Dublin was brillant last year, very supportive round the whole course and the last few miles will be easier with a few fimilar shouts from the crowd and faces to look out for. I'll even arrange a Blayney Rockets running vest for you  ;)

Banging in goals in St Marys park for the Grattans on Sunday morning?? You must have had a feed of drink in the Spinner the night before and slept out in the dugouts and dreamt that!

Its very addictive alright and doesn't be long paying off. I started the same way and surpirsed myself how well I stayed at it and how far I've gone since. Far from marathons we targetted in the spinner years back!

Good luck with it anyway.

bamboo

Thanks B.

Looking forward i'll probably try and get my last big "long run" in between the half and the 16miler. Am i right in thinking that 20miles was your longest pre-marathon? Is this the guideline?

Then the 16 miler will be part of the tapering down process.

I'm coasting through 10k training runs at the minute so will start upping that to 15-20 within the next 6 weeks. Mixing it all up with some 5k interval runs (400m quick, 150 slow) down the local park and some core classes and spin/circuit training down the gym. Doing parkrun every saturday morning and will aim to do a timed 10k every 3 weeks minimum.

Gonna stick to this plan until end of April and then start properly into the longer runs. Is ther one particular training guide you would swear by or do i simply pick one out?

Dublin booked! No turning back now. Will keep it to myself for now but expect fb updates when things start in earnest. You may need to locate the block/unfriend button when that starts!!

Bingo

Well bamboo, yeah 20 was as far as I went although I miss judged a route one day and done 21. Dublin is a good marathon, great support round the course I felt last year. Likely will be a good load of us doing it, was 20 odd last year, be 30 this year at current rate.

You fairly moving well, if you enjoying it, that's more than half the battle.

Pushed out a very tough 20 this morning taking in a huge hill that climbs for 4 miles. Legs in bits and knee like a football but its the tank! Last weekends drink in Carrick on Shannon a distant memory!!

bamboo

Cheers, i'll aim for a coulpe of 20's then when i'm up and at it. Do you have a training plan? Will any do me? Minimum requirement is sub 4hrs but obviously i'd like to do as quick as is possible. 7 months of training to come yet.

Good work this morning, you must dream about Mullyash. i can only dream about 20 milers at the minute but i'm convinced that i'll get there eventually.

Just back from parkrun, possibly the worst preparation for a run i've ever had. Fell out of bed at 8:20 after an hours kip, was meant to have picked up 3 people by that time!! Only had time for a banana and a fag beforehand, could have done with a toilet visit but literally walked in as the race was starting.

Decided to stick with my mate who's far more experienced then me at 5k's instead of bombing off on my own and blowing up near the end. Was shoulder to shoulder for 4k and then i edged on and left him for dead. Didn't realise that he'd pulled up with a bad calf!!

Passed quite a few on the last k  which was a good boost but still ended up a few seconds slower than last week. Not a happy bunny.

10k timed run in Crystal Palace in the morning, start and finish in the stadium which i might bowl down to but i'm working again tonight so will only grab an hours sleep at best.

Armaghgeddon

I am trying to get involved with gaelic or 5 a side soccer teams to get some running done

imtommygunn

When you're aiming to get fit the best way to go about getting there is to run slowly. When I say slowly I mean slowly for yourself - you shouldn't be running breathless. If you do this 3 or so times a week for a few weeks your slow pace will increase dramatically. Best way to think of it is if you're timing it don't look at your watch during the run - just run comfortably - then check it at the end of your run. Compare for a few weeks and you'll see an increase. Getting fit is much quicker if you're working at "aerobic" levels and you keep it controlled and slow. Worrying about times etc. will a) make you feel worse b) not get you fit as quickly...

Bingo

Quote from: bamboo on March 09, 2013, 01:24:25 PM
Cheers, i'll aim for a coulpe of 20's then when i'm up and at it. Do you have a training plan? Will any do me? Minimum requirement is sub 4hrs but obviously i'd like to do as quick as is possible. 7 months of training to come yet.

Good work this morning, you must dream about Mullyash. i can only dream about 20 milers at the minute but i'm convinced that i'll get there eventually.

Just back from parkrun, possibly the worst preparation for a run i've ever had. Fell out of bed at 8:20 after an hours kip, was meant to have picked up 3 people by that time!! Only had time for a banana and a fag beforehand, could have done with a toilet visit but literally walked in as the race was starting.

Decided to stick with my mate who's far more experienced then me at 5k's instead of bombing off on my own and blowing up near the end. Was shoulder to shoulder for 4k and then i edged on and left him for dead. Didn't realise that he'd pulled up with a bad calf!!

Passed quite a few on the last k  which was a good boost but still ended up a few seconds slower than last week. Not a happy bunny.

10k timed run in Crystal Palace in the morning, start and finish in the stadium which i might bowl down to but i'm working again tonight so will only grab an hours sleep at best.

I followed a training plan as best I could for first one - google Hal Hidgon, he has various plans at different levels, i used one of his for Dublin last year. I'd not even panic too much about spreading it out over the 7 months, keep doing what you doing and then work from marathon time back to start of training plan and time it that way.

Mullyash was a killer on Saturday, its a toughie but hopefully it will stand to me for connemara. Knee still not right since.

Biggest thing I found for the 5kms and 10kms is pacing it right at the start, too fast always catches people later. Nothing like picking people off and passing people, you find it great for the spirit and the pace always surpises you.