Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

put-it-up

He is hardly joining the exodus to USA? That is the first thing that came to my mind because its a strange strange time to quit the panel..

BigMac

I automatically thought he might be heading abroad as well. This is becoming an all to familiar scenario in cavan football. Johnson and Cahill left the panel after we got knocked out a few year ago, Lyng left because he didnt get to play in his favorite position, Podge left, etc etc. I cant understand where these lads get the impression that they are superstars and deserve their place.
Does anyone know how the news broke to the media? Did Cullivan tell someone or did Tommy ring RTE?

sams the aim

dnt think it is a smoke screen denn man unfortunately either was d other one thou he has put off another operation to try and play according to members of the panel. hope d cullivan incident gets sorted

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: put-it-up on June 11, 2010, 05:21:40 PM
He is hardly joining the exodus to USA? That is the first thing that came to my mind because its a strange strange time to quit the panel..

i f**kin hope not!!!

full moon

Well it is obvious Cullivan deserves to get playing. He doesn't strike me as arrogant at all though unlike most of the other players who have quit the panel.

Tommy Carr - The Raymond Domenach of inter county management.  ::)

put-it-up

I doubt even Tommy would be foolish enough to play lads by their star sign. That Domenech is a bigger clown that Krusty. Anyway I know Ray, and he wouldn't be a quitter.In fact he is seriously committed to his football. I just don't understand why he has quit now because he would
have come on tomorrow and could have shown what he can do. Personally i would start him ahead of Brennan but that's just me.

Just want to clear up that I have no idea why he quit and I am purely speculating. I just thought it would make it more logical if he decided to go travelling for the summer. You never know, he might have wanted to go all along and missing out on the Starting XV might have just pushed him over the edge - especially if friends and that have already gone. Other than that, there must have been a row of some sort. Because I doubt he would quit if he was planning to sit at home all Summer.

McGrath and Sherry midfield at tomorrow. Now, we will see just where Givney is at this stage of his career. Big test for the lad and i hope were not relying on him too much to win that battle.

full moon

I don't like to slag off players but lets be honest our midfield is a disgrace for county level. We are basically depending on Givney tomorrow, a 20 year old.

Ciaran Galligan is a joke, Walsh is just an agitator and Mulvey has had plenty of chances already.

I don't know about anyone else but I would have stuck Cullivan in there ahead of Galligan. Cullivan may be short but he has an amazing jump. At least he can run and can catch a ball.

We won't know the reasons but maybe he feels hard done by when he sees inferior players starting ahead of him.

put-it-up

Quote from: full moon on June 11, 2010, 08:54:06 PM
I don't like to slag off players but lets be honest our midfield is a disgrace for county level. We are basically depending on Givney tomorrow, a 20 year old.

Ciaran Galligan is a joke, Walsh is just an agitator and Mulvey has had plenty of chances already.

I don't know about anyone else but I would have stuck Cullivan in there ahead of Galligan. Cullivan may be short but he has an amazing jump. At least he can run and can catch a ball.

We won't know the reasons but maybe he feels hard done by when he sees inferior players starting ahead of him.

Got to disagree with you on Galligan - he is not a joke. Look management is about getting the most out of your resources and trying to get them to exceed their own levels of expectation. Is Galligan skillful? no. Is he ever going to be the world's best footballer? no. But he is fit, has a good engine and is more importantly, willing to empty it. Yeah, he is a limited player, but you make the most of his strengths. Don't let what you can't do effect what you can do! Midfield is about competing and if he gives the ball off quickly to lads that can score I think he is the best man we can have beside Givney because he will to do a lot more donkey work than say, Mulvey. I think it is ridiculous to call someone a joke, when he busts his gut four or so nights a week to ensure he is in good condition when he pulls on the jersey. Considering the midfield Fermanagh have and their size, deploying Cullivan there wouldn't make much sense.

I don't think Cullivan should have quit I am sure he would have featured at some stage tomorrow. The only thing I will say, is at least he opted out instead of sitting on the bench tomorrow and being a negative effect on the atmosphere and hoping lads play shite!!!

cavan4sam

full moon, I think you are being very harsh on Ciaran Galligan there, he is the best athlete we have at midfield and will cover every blade of grass on Breffni Park tomorrow evening. He is a lso a big man at 6 4 and to be honest it would be a joke to have Cullivan playin midfield in an Ulster Championship game at 5 10. He might be a great midfielder at club level but there is a massive difference between being a good midfielder at division 2 club football and Ulster Championship football.

Now Im not saying that I wouldn't have had Cullivan starting, personally I would have had him at full forward.

Lads forget about this until the details come out, if there are any details, and get behind the lads who will pull on the blue jersey tomorrow.

mylestheslasher

Totally uncalled for stupid Hoganstand-esque comment. Galligan by all accounts is a dedicated lad, is fit and tries his best. Cullivan is a player I admire but is short short inches for midfield but he would have played a part on Saturday he had stayed on the panel. I hope if he reads this forum he might reconsider as this is a serious step he is taking.

full moon

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 11, 2010, 10:47:25 PM

Totally uncalled for stupid Hoganstand-esque comment. Galligan by all accounts is a dedicated lad, is fit and tries his best. Cullivan is a player I admire but is short short inches for midfield but he would have played a part on Saturday he had stayed on the panel. I hope if he reads this forum he might reconsider as this is a serious step he is taking.

Come on now, dedicated, fit and tries his best. If that is the best anyone can come up with it says it all.
This is the Ulster Championship not some division 3 club game.

He isn't up to it. If any half decent team played us they would walk over us in midfield.

full moon

Quote from: cavan4sam on June 11, 2010, 09:23:49 PM
. He might be a great midfielder at club level but there is a massive difference between being a good midfielder at division 2 club football and Ulster Championship football.

Funny enough you are talking about Cullivan here but it could also be applied to Galligan. Except maybe replaced good with average.

No point beating around the bush. I have nothing against the guy, just an opinion on his football ability.

put-it-up

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 11, 2010, 10:47:25 PM

You think that is bad? you should see what is being said on facebook about Cullivan if any of you boys are up with the times  ;D :P

It's shocking stuff and I've already reported it for abuse.Not going to put the link up here. That would just give the stupid, immature, clueless little kids that commented on the status what they want. I'll PM the link if any of you want to see it. Thank feck most people on here have sense and dont put up posts with them on the county minor team..

Little bollixes.

And Full Moon, whether you like it or not he is the best available midfielder we have got to partner Givney. IT'S time supporters stopped living in fantasy land and realised where we are at at the minute. If your gonna flag-up problems, at least try come up with solutions. It's too easy to say he is shite.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: full moon on June 11, 2010, 10:58:41 PM
Quote from: cavan4sam on June 11, 2010, 09:23:49 PM
. He might be a great midfielder at club level but there is a massive difference between being a good midfielder at division 2 club football and Ulster Championship football.

Funny enough you are talking about Cullivan here but it could also be applied to Galligan. Except maybe replaced good with average.

No point beating around the bush. I have nothing against the guy, just an opinion on his football ability.

No Full Moon, you did not state an opinion on his footballing ability, you said he was a joke. Thats a personal insult on a lad that is doing is best and getting picked for it.

full moon

I've seen those comments Put it Up.  I know the names of the "kids" involved.  Most of them just taking the piss.
It is pathetic though that they can get away with it. Anyway a few people are getting wound up, I wouldn't pay any attention it is just lads trying to get to people.

As one of them said, none of them would say it to his face that is damn sure. And if they did spout some of that bollocks I can picture what would happen to them... ;D