Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

At the game yesterday,was shocked at how poor the Dublin forwards were!I mean they were awful!For ourselves i was pretty pleased,some tidy football played,and few good performance.Felt full back line was a bit loose and can't understand why Dane was full back.Half back line played well and did some nice runs forward.Midfield i felt was a weakness again up against 2 massive men-gibney couldn't do his usual fielding but was good on the ball but Cullivan i thought was very selfish with the ball on a number of occassions,always trying to beat at least one player before letting it on.I thought Mackey caused the dubs big trouble 1st half and only took off at half time to give other lads a run.Nesty was good when involved but was in and out of the game but very reliable freetaker.Mc Kiernan  was average but will come good in time im sure.Brady showed well for the ball and used it well,though i might be over rating him just because i didn't expect anything from him as dont know of him at all.Mickey brennan did very little when introduced but ciaran galligan did wel,hit 2 nice scores.Just watching cluxton kicking out yesterday-unbelievable accuracy even against the wind.Think Cavan won by about 6 points i think.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Cheers Western Blue and Beer Baron for the update. Any chance of line-ups?

Dougal

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on May 04, 2010, 01:34:11 PM
Cheers Western Blue and Beer Baron for the update. Any chance of line-ups?

1.fintan reilly
2.dermot sheridan
3.dane o dowd
4.eoin mcphillips
5.paul brady
6.eoin mcguigan
7.john mccutcheon
8.ray cullivan
9.david givney
10.ronan flanagan
11.nesty
12.mckeever
13.mackey
14.declan mckiernan
15.philip brady

head was very sore and cant remeber what subs came on,other than galligan for givney,early on,and the other galligan for mckiernan late on.bud came on for philip brady aswell with about 10 mins left,and brady came back on at some stage.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Celt_Man

SF challenge: Cavan down the Dubs
04 May 2010

Former Dub Gareth 'Nesty' Smith helped his adopted Cavan to a four-point victory over Pat Gilroy's side in a senior football challenge to mark the official opening of the new 3G pitch at Kingspan Breffni Park yesterday.

Cavan 0-14
Dublin 0-10

The St. Oliver Plunkett's clubman scored 0-2, while Cian Mackey and Declan McKiernan were also prominent for Tommy Carr's side who laid the foundations for their victory in the first half when they built up a 0-10 to 0-4 lead. Paddy Andrews was the visitors' best player in the opening half, helping himself to 0-3.

Tomas Quinn came off the bench to score 0-4 from frees in the second half for Dublin, but Cavan held on for the win.

Scorers - Cavan: C Mackey, G Smith (0-2f), D McKiernan, Philip Brady, C Galligan 0-2 each, A Clarke, Paul Brady, D Givney, R Galligan (0-1f) 0-1 each. Dublin: T Quinn 0-4 (0-3f, 0-1 45), P Andrews 0-3, K McManamon, D Henry, D Connolly 0-1 each.

Cavan: F Reilly; D Sheridan, D O'Dowd, E McPhillips; Paul Brady, E McGuigan, J McCutcheon; R Cullivan, D Givney; R Flanagan, G Smith, M McKeever; C Mackey, D McKiernan, Phillip Brady. Subs: C Galligan for Givney (22), M Brides for Paul Brady (57), B Fitzpatrick for Phillip Brady (57), R Galligan for McKiernan (57), A Clarke for McGuigan (58), E Smith for McPhillips (62), M Brennan for Mackey (67), Philip Brady for Flanagan (68).

Dublin: S Cluxton; Paul Brogan, P McMahon, D Bastick; P Casey, G Brennan, J Brogan; E Fennell, R McConnell; D Kelly, D Henry, A Hubbard; P Andrews, K McManamon, B McManamon. Subs: C Murphy for K McManamon (20), D Connolly for McConnell (43), E O'Gara for Hubbard (43), T Quinn for B McManamon (43), D Watson for Casey (48).

Referee: P McEneaney (Monaghan).

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

I was too hungover to go into Breffini Monday,any win against the dubs is a welcome one.
Ive said it before and its been pointed out im almost certainly  the biggest Ray Cullivan fan on here,but at 5'11, hes too small to play midfield at IC level.I was told Fennell and McConnell were winning the battle at mf well until Galligan came on?,granted we wont come against as good as them against Fermanagh,but thats not a good sign.
Givney and Galligan pairing to start at midfield with Ray wing forward seems to be the best option.
It certainly makes a change from what happened when Dublin came down to open Templeports ground a few years ago.
Pierson done his knee in,a few players got lost in a pub on the way to the game and Dublin won on a scoreline of something like 4-15 to 0-09.
Progress!!!

Celt_Man

Cavan impress against Dublin
Comments (0) |  Print |  Email

Cavan's Philip Brady in action.

Cavan 0-14

Dublin 0-10

Cavan senior footballers got the magnificent new 3g pitch at Kingspan Breffni Park off to the best possible start with a comfortable victory over Dublin in a well-attended senior challenge match last Monday afternoon.

If leagues are for playing and championships are for winning, then challenge matches are surely for experimenting and Cavan manager Tom Carr did just that, trying out Drumlane's Dane O'Dowd at full-back and both Declan McKiernan and Philip Brady in the full-forward line.

All three did well, even if O'Dowd didn't look entirely comfortable at all times away from his natural home in the half-back line.

One player who did slot in as if he had never been away was Paul Brady, who returned from handball duties to turn in an excellent shift in his first start of the year.

The Gunner had a fine game at number five, setting the tone from the off by grabbing the first point on the new field with a fine strike from 35 metres just a minute in.

Cian Mackey curled over a sweet score 40 seconds later as Cavan made all of the early running but Dublin soon settled, with the towering Eamon Fennell and Ross McConnell taking charge around the middle where Ray Cullivan, who has only recently returned from injury, toiled hard without making a major impact.

The lively Paddy Andrews fired over Dublin's first in the sixth minute before Kevin McMenamin, who would go on to kick some poor wides, levelled it up in the sixth minute.

A mistake by O'Dowd allowed Andrews in for a point on the 12-minute mark but Declan McKiernan kept his head to punch over a point at the other end seconds later to make it 0-3 apiece.

While Dublin kicked some woeful wides at times, Cavan had no luck themselves and hit the upright three times over the 70 minutes. The first of these arrived in the 14th minute when the influential Gareth Smith, whose vision, guile and guts on the 40 were a feature of the match, struck the outside of the post with a massive effort from the wing.

On their next attack, Cavan's Mark McKeever saw a good shot from the wing bounce on the crossbar and return into play but the hosts were live to the break and David Givney fired over a neat point from the rebound to make it 4-3.

A fabulous score from Mackey, who dummied left and right before firing over from the right wing, opened a two-point gap and a sweet left-footed point from McKiernan extended Cavan's lead to three.

Dublin hit back through Andrews, who was giving Eoin McPhilips a tough time, but Cavan were by now playing much the better football, moving the ball at pace on a super-fast surface.

A fisted point from Philip Brady, followed by a Smith free and a tidy score from sub Ciaran Gilligan (after good work under pressure by O'Dowd) opened a deserved five-point lead.

The margin was extended to six, 0-10 to 0-4, when Smith curled over well from a free after a foul on Mackey and that's how it remained at the break, with Cavan unluckily striking the upright once more just before Pat McEnaney's half-time whistle.

The second half was a slow-burner, with the Dubs strangely muted. There was no score for the first 14 minutes, during which time McEnaney ordered the Dublin management to replace Paul Casey after the wing-back felled Ray Cullivan with a cheap shot, a shoulder into the back after the Ballyhaise man bravely rose to gather a "hospital pass" from Paul Brady.

Cavan eventually moved seven clear in the 49th minute when Ciaran Galligan, who impressed when introduced early on for the injured Givney, curled over a good point on the run and although Dublin replied with two Tomas Quinn frees, an excellent score on the run by Alan Clarke- another sub who made quite an impact - made it 12-6.

Raymond Galligan slotted over a routine free with his first touch in the 58th minute but from then on, the intensity faded as the match petered out.

Philip Brady showed great determination to send over a fine point in the 65th minute and although Dublin kept in touch with a succession of frees from Quinn, the match was long over as a contest by this stage.

Cavan won pulling up by four but the run-out was a useful one. Problems remain in some areas but a number of players, including Dermot Sheridan, Gareth Smith and Mark McKeever, showed that they are hitting form at the right time with the big test just five weeks away.

Any day, as one fan remarked on the way out, that you beat the Leinster champions is a good day. Hear hear. Cavan will take this one; just don't read too much into it...

Cavan: Fintan Reilly, Dermot Sheridan, Dane O'Dowd, Eoin McPhilips, Paul Brady (0-1), Eoin McGuigan, John McCutcheon, Ray Cullivan, David Givney (0-1), Ronan Flanagan, Gareth Smith, Mark McKeever, Cian Mackey, Declan McKiernan, Philip Brady

SUBS: Alan Clarke (0-1), Michael Brides, Michael Brennan, Ciaran Galligan (0-2), Brendan Fitzpatrick, Ray Galligan (0-1f)

Dublin: Stephen Cluxton, Paul Brogan, Denis Bastick, Philly McMahon, James Brogan, Ger Brennan, Paul Casey, Eamon Fenell, Ross McConnell, David Kelly, David Henry (0-1), Alan Hubbard, Paddy Andrews (0-3), Kevin McMenamin (0-1), Brendan McMenamin

SUBS: Tomas Quinn (0-4f)

REF: Pat McEnaney (Monaghan)

• Cavan Under 17s also took on the Dublin Development Squad before the senior match.

Next up for Cavan seniors is a challenge match against Mayo in Belmullet on Saturday, May 15 as preparations for the Ulster first round against Fermanagh on June 13 continue.

Dougal

Saturday, 08th May @ 7pm
Imperial Bar A.C.F.L. Division 1 Round 5
Killeshandra v Lavey       lavey by 2
Belturbet v Denn          belturbet by 5
Redhills v Lacken (Game at 5.30pm)         redhills by 2
Cavan Gaels v Ballinagh       gaels by 8+
Castlerahan v Crosserlough    castlerahan by 7
Gowna v Ramor Utd      gowna by 2
Mullahoran v Cuchulainn       mullahoran by 5
Kingscourt v Killygarry    killygarry by 3

Saturday, 08th May @ 7pm
John Brady Insurances Ltd A.C.F.L. Division 2 Round 5
Knockbride v Bailieboro      knockbride by 3
Cootehill v Butlersbridge    cootehill by 6
Kill v Cavan Gaels (Game at 3pm)    cavan gaels by 1
Drung v Drumgoon    drumgoon by 2
Shercock v Ballyhaise    ballyhaise by 4
Killinkere v Drumalee      drumalee  by 3

Saturday, 08th May @ 7pm
Kiernan Service Stations A.C.F.L. Division 3 Round 5
Munterconnacht v Templeport    munchies by 4
Kingscourt v Killygarry (Game at 5.30pm) killygarry by 5
Corlough v Mountnugent    mountnugent   by  3
Laragh Utd v Cornafean    laragh  by 6
Maghera v Swaninbar   swanlinbar  by 16
Ballymachugh v Shannon Gaels     shannon gaels by 3
Ballyconnell First Ulsters v Arva   arva by 5

put-it-up

it's that time of year again...pick your 15 for championship.

Fintan Reilly - Doesn't inspire confidence but the best available I think.
Michael Hannon - Still don't think there are any better options and seems to be back in decent shape
Corr - Still think Darren Smith is the best full-back in the county though he isn't on the squad, and Rory Dunne doesn't want to go in.
Cahill- Just can't understand why Joey Jordan never got a shot. McPhillips does what it say's on the tin but hasn't overly impressed me
McCutcheon - Really like what he brings. Strong running and a decent defender
McGuigan - Probably the surprise of the league. 6 looks his to lose
Gunner - Don't know what form he is in but would make my team any day.
Givney - Goin to be be another step up for him but he is the most improved player in Cavan by a country-mile
Galligan - Gearoid McKiernan would be worth a try but is States bound and I think Galligan overs more than the other candidates.
McKeever - Glad he is back. Good player and works hard.
Nesty - Needs to stop looking for the perfect ball all the time but very interested to see how he fares in championship pace.
Flanagan - I think he is class. Just needs to get settled in a position.
Johnston - Obviously depends on his fitness. If not, I would go with Martin Reilly.
Cullivan - Plenty of ability. Would pull him out in stages and try to get Mackey and Jelly in space.
Mackey - Keep him in there with Johnston. Then we have two genuin threats

Obviously its close to team that has been playing but there is not much point butting in lads that aren't even on the squad. Left Sheridan out but he could easily be there ahead of McCutcheon or Brady. Just my own personal choice.

Dougal

Quote from: put-it-up on May 07, 2010, 10:33:53 PM
it's that time of year again...pick your 15 for championship.

Fintan Reilly - Doesn't inspire confidence but the best available I think.
Michael Hannon - Still don't think there are any better options and seems to be back in decent shape
Corr - Still think Darren Smith is the best full-back in the county though he isn't on the squad, and Rory Dunne doesn't want to go in.
Cahill- Just can't understand why Joey Jordan never got a shot. McPhillips does what it say's on the tin but hasn't overly impressed me
McCutcheon - Really like what he brings. Strong running and a decent defender
McGuigan - Probably the surprise of the league. 6 looks his to lose
Gunner - Don't know what form he is in but would make my team any day.
Givney - Goin to be be another step up for him but he is the most improved player in Cavan by a country-mile
Galligan - Gearoid McKiernan would be worth a try but is States bound and I think Galligan overs more than the other candidates.
McKeever - Glad he is back. Good player and works hard.
Nesty - Needs to stop looking for the perfect ball all the time but very interested to see how he fares in championship pace.
Flanagan - I think he is class. Just needs to get settled in a position.
Johnston - Obviously depends on his fitness. If not, I would go with Martin Reilly.
Cullivan - Plenty of ability. Would pull him out in stages and try to get Mackey and Jelly in space.
Mackey - Keep him in there with Johnston. Then we have two genuin threats

Obviously its close to team that has been playing but there is not much point butting in lads that aren't even on the squad. Left Sheridan out but he could easily be there ahead of McCutcheon or Brady. Just my own personal choice.

i wouldnt change much of that team,id like to see cahill play a bit further out field,but he's a solid corner back.hannon seems to be on good form and would be worth a try for the fermanagh game.id like to see gearoid in midfield but he wont be there,and i dont think theres much difference between galligan and mulvey,anyone as long as it isnt walshe.id also like to see johnston out on the 40 for a game.id nearly be inclined to give sheridan one more chance at full-back,wasnt a fan of his early on last season,but thought he looked to be getting comfortable at times.

put-it-up

Really don't think Sheridan is a full-back Dougal. For me, wing-back is by far his best-position. Seen him play a lot with DCU this year and just think he needs to work on his game when in possession of the ball. A great athlete and a hardy buck too

Johnston I'm sure would be good on the 40 but i think it would be stupid to take him away from the goals - particularly at this stage. His best asset is his ability to win possession and fire over a point from 25 yards or so after finding that all important half a yard to get his shot away. Out on the 40 that asset goes to waste. I do think he and Nesty could easily interchange though to keep the opposing defence guesising.

Celt_Man

ACFL Division 1
Kingscourt  2-19 0-8 Killygarry 
Killeshandra  1-4 0-9 Lavey
Belturbet  1-14 0-8 Denn 
Cavan Gaels  1-14 0-8 Ballinagh   
Castlerahan  0-12 0-7 Crosserlough   
Gowna  2-12 1-10 Ramor United   
Redhills  2-14 1-11 Lacken   
Mullahoran  1-13 1-9 Cuchullains 

ACFL Reserve Division 1 

Redhills  3-8 2-13 Lacken 
Mullahoran  2-6 0-11 Cuchullains   
Belturbet  1-5 0-8 Denn 
Castlerahan  1-3 0-10 Crosserlough   
Gowna  2-5 0-10 Ramor United 

ACFL Division 2

Knockbride  2-9 1-9 Bailieboro   
Drung  2-5 1-9 Drumgoon   
Killinkere  1-11 1-6 Drumalee   
Shercock  1-7 2-9 Ballyhaise   
Kill  1-7 1-7 Cavan Gaels 
Cootehill Celtic 0-9 1-2 Bultersbridge

ACFL Reserve Division 2 

Knockbride  3-5 5-14 Bailieboro   
Drung  2-12 1-9 Drumgoon   
Killinkere  3-11 1-7 Drumalee   
Shercock  1-5 2-13 Ballyhaise 

ACFL Division 3
Munterconnacht  2-14 0-6 Templeport   
Laragh Utd  0-9 1-10 Cornafean 
Maghera  0-5 1-17 Swanlinbar   
Ballymachugh  3-7 0-9 Shannon Gaels   
Kildallan  2-4 1-10 Arva 
Kingscourt  0-10 0-6 Killygarry 
Corlough  2-4 1-17 Mountnugent 

ACFL Reserve Division 3 

Laragh Utd  0-9 2-7 Cornafean   
Kildallan  3-6 0-8 Arva   
Ballymachugh  - - Shannon Gaels  Conceded by Ballymachugh

Dougal

wasnt too far off with alot of my predictions. ;)

how did kingscourt beat killygarry by so much,thats a big shock,and they beat them in div 3,after not fielding a team last week.

put-it-up

Great win for Kingscourt. They can easily get to a county final if the draw is kind to them but really don't think they would have what it takes to beat the Gaels. I'll give it to Dudely Farrelly though, he certainly has revived that club in the last two years. Done a great job.

Larry gave a master class against our boys today in the first half. We were ten points down after as many minutes.

Theobald

Another defeat for the shamrocks Put-it-up. Will we manage to stay up this year? Who was marking Larry, when he did the damage? Who is making the first 15 this year?

put-it-up

It's not going too well at the moment theobald.

Larry scored four points from centre-forward on Declan O'Reilly. Game was over after ten minutes, we conceded two shocking goals.

We're missing a lot of boys from last year. Here is the two teams that started.

Knockbride: Ronan Keaskin, Ollie Mulvey, David Traynor, Declan O'Reilly, Michael Clarke, Niall O'Reilly, Seamus O'Brien, John Tierney (0-2f), Raphael Rogers (1-1), Dermot O'Brien, Larry Reilly (0-4), Liam Lynch, Peter Reilly (0-1), Niall McCabe, Adam Traynor

Bailieborough Shamrocks: Sean Farrelly, Damien Lynch, David Rooney, Gary O'Reilly, Thomas Cooney, Declan O'Reilly, Peter Clerkin, Paddy Bird (0-1), Sean Cooney, Paul Sharkey (0-2), Paul O'Reilly (0-1), Dessie Reilly (0-1), David Carolan, Niall Kelly (0-4, 2f), Jeffrey Martin