Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal

anyone know how div1 league semi went tonight?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

boojangles

Quote from: Dougal on November 06, 2009, 10:18:39 PM
anyone know how div1 league semi went tonight?

Was called off I believe.

boojangles

Ballyhaise beat Cootehill today to make the Semi final of Division 2.

mylestheslasher

Frontrunners for chairman according to the celt - any preferences?

Four horse race to fill Cavan County Board chair

Profile by Sean McMahon

With the news this week that the chairman of Cavan County GAA Board Phil Smith is to step down at the convention in Drumavaddy in December, the race is on to find a successor.

Three people have already declared that they will be candidates for the position - Tom O'Reilly, chairman of Shannon Gaels, Packie McKiernan, former chairman of Kildallan, and Mark Gillick, outgoing PRO of the County Board. Mark will also be nominated for the Ulster Council. The current vice-chairman Kieran Callaghan of Denn told The Anglo-Celt this week that he is considering his position at the moment and will make a definitive announcement in the next few days.

The closing date for nominations is Friday, November 13 and the clubs.

The candidates

Mark Gillick has been County Board PRO for the last five years, was youth officer for three years and secretary of Cavan Gaels for six. He has been on the Management Committee for the eight years, and despite being one of the younger contenders for the top GAA job in the county, he brings considerable experience to the table.

Mark promises vibrant, new ideas: "Coming from a successful club, I'm acutely aware of what it takes to put structures in place to improve things and see Cavan competing with the best once again," he said.

Tom O'Reilly, a current Ulster Council delegate and management committee member, said he is in the contest to give it a real lash. These opportunities may only present themselves once in a lifetime, he added.

"This is my time - I have a lot of experience at County Board level and at Ulster Council level. I've chaired the Hearings Committee in Ulster on a number of occasions. I'm in this race to win it."

Tom has worked hard at club level and the fine facilities in Blacklion are testament to his initiative. He has retired from working in Loughan House and if elected, is prepared to give the new role his all.

Packie McKiernan was chairman of Kildallan for six years and secretary for eight. He oversaw the development of the new pitch in the 1980s and the county final was played in Ballyconnell in 1994, when Packie was secretary. He's been involved in promoting Club Breifne and various fund raising golf classics and corporate nights.

cavanmaniac

Any one know why the outgoing chairman stepped down? Anything to do with the Carr fiasco a few months ago?

boojangles

Quote from: cavanmaniac on November 07, 2009, 09:08:00 PM
Any one know why the outgoing chairman stepped down? Anything to do with the Carr fiasco a few months ago?

I think its for personal reasons.I believe a family member may not be well.
May be just rumours but I heard that if Tom Reilly gets the Chair it could be Bye Bye Tommy.

Denn Forever

Quote from: boojangles on November 08, 2009, 02:10:40 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on November 07, 2009, 09:08:00 PM

I think its for personal reasons.I believe a family member may not be well.
May be just rumours but I heard that if Tom Reilly gets the Chair it could be Bye Bye Tommy.

A progresive?  But he does sound like a true cavanman though.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

put-it-up

Phil stood down due to personal reasons alright, I can confim that. I don't think its right to discuss exactly what is up in a public website though. His business is his own.

U21 competition is a joke at the minute. Cootehill didn't shot up to play Bailieborough today and anyone I talk too just has no interest in playing football at this time of year.

Whoever the new chairman is, does he honestly think it would be wise to kick Tommy out at this stage. I think we should give him next year to see if there is any progress. As far as i know there is quite a bit of work been put in at the minute. And who else would actually take the job that is qualified enough to do it and we know would definetly be better than Carr?

let him judge players for himself and pick his own panel this year rather than just inheriting DK's panel like he did last year late on.

Was told Larry Jayo Miller and Pearson are gone all due to different reasons. Not fully sure about that though. Think 3 or 4 others will be cut also but sure all will be revealed in time no doubt!

Dougal

Quote from: put-it-up on November 08, 2009, 07:03:35 PM
Phil stood down due to personal reasons alright, I can confim that. I don't think its right to discuss exactly what is up in a public website though. His business is his own.

U21 competition is a joke at the minute. Cootehill didn't shot up to play Bailieborough today and anyone I talk too just has no interest in playing football at this time of year.

Whoever the new chairman is, does he honestly think it would be wise to kick Tommy out at this stage. I think we should give him next year to see if there is any progress. As far as i know there is quite a bit of work been put in at the minute. And who else would actually take the job that is qualified enough to do it and we know would definetly be better than Carr?

let him judge players for himself and pick his own panel this year rather than just inheriting DK's panel like he did last year late on.

Was told Larry Jayo Miller and Pearson are gone all due to different reasons. Not fully sure about that though. Think 3 or 4 others will be cut also but sure all will be revealed in time no doubt!

it would be terrible to kick tommy out at this stage,as much as i wanted to see him walk after the championship,i know that getting rid of him now would be disastrous.

larry retired months ago, jayo made it clear enough he wasnt happy with carr,so wasnt really expecting him to come back this year,heard that about miller alright,and might be able to find out a bit more about pearson tomorrow.he could do with cutting alot more than another 3 or 4,easily another 10.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

mylestheslasher

I heard the bridge lost by a couple of points in the Ulster junior club championship, that just leaves Lavey flying  the flag. Another indication of the poor level club football is at in the county.

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

beer baron

Any word on new members brought into the panel?

Celt_Man

Congrats Ballyhaiseman for the win on Saturday, hope ye go on and give Kingscourt a good rattle on Sunday in the semi final... they were well worth their win and the margin of their victory too while I think we got what they deserved although the amount of injuries we have at the minute wouldn't help things.

To be honest, I'm not sorry to have the football season over at this stage, been a long time since training in January and the league starting in February.... but that whole issue is another day's work and don't have the energy to launch into it now...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

jimjim

Was at the B-haise Coothill game, Few v good performances for this time of yr especially from B-haise but have there hands full v Kingscourt. See its a busy weekend for the B-haiseman with the reserve final on up here Fri nite. Are you playing in that as well B-haiseman???

BallyhaiseMan

Thanks Celt Man, havent gotten on this week much due to work.
Jimjim im not eligable to play Friday Night im afraid,il be there though, you're hardly a Lacken man now are you?  ;)
Stars for us on Sunday in Division Two semi,
we will be up against it,but sure we will give it a go.