Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

I reckon Sheridan will be full back and I could see Hannon starting beside him... McCabe will play whether he starts or not depends on whether Walsh is fit or not... If he isn't then McCabe could be beside Galligan in the middle with Gibvey at FF... Pierson and Jelly in the corners and hopefully they will look for a few more breaks from the FF whoever it is and not demand primary possession all the time.
I think Larry could be making an appearance this Saturday too, given how well he played against Meath with Miller probably in goals even though Fintan Reilly did feck all wrong...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

whats my name

i think the game is at 6.45 in newry thats what i have seen in the celt!!!!!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: jimjim on March 03, 2009, 09:22:31 AM
That result was def a bit of a suprise but no wonder when ye are missing all those players.
Heard that about Slowey last year as well, towards the end of the summer something on his heart showed up but then he got the all clear. Am friendly with 1/2 of the Ballyhaise lads and they told me that last year.
Were u playing urself BallyhaiseMan. Was it fitness that won it for Drumlane in the end or what kind of shape are they in?

i was playing yes, it wasnt fitness,training has been going very well under Mickey,we just didnt play to anywhere near our potential and we got caught in the last few minutes because of that,They are in decent enough shape,fairly fit but their forwards were quite wasteful at times though.

cavanmaniac

I'm surprised nobody has picked up on ac39's post from a few pages back. I too heard some uninspiring tales about the behind-the-scenes set up on the county team, to indicate that the Tommy Carr 'era of discipline' is something of a red herring by all appearances.

I heard there was some hotel shenanigans after the game with Mayo and all in all, if these things are true then it doesn't look good. McKeever, Carr said when questioned, is 'on a break' which is probably code for some sort of suspension? before coming back all things forgiven, which doesn't fill me with hope for the long term either. We'll suspend you temporarily while letting you know you're indispensable sort of thing.

Anyway, these are just rumours at this stage but combine them with results, the drinking stories from earlier etc., and you wouldn't be as positive as early January.

Hopefully we'll get some sort of response against Down and if these things are genuinely going on, they'll be out of the system before serious championship preparation starts.

cavanmaniac

'We CAN beat Down' - Carr (www.cavanpost.ie)

March 2nd, 2009

By Niall Boyle

A defiant Tommy Carr stoked the fires ahead of Cavan's clash with Down next Saturday roaring: "I believe we can beat Down."

The Cavan boss says that his troops have the mettle to down Benny Coulter and co in Newry, (throw-in at 6.45pm), and says that any problems the Breffni Blues have experienced so far have nothing to do with their ability on the field.

"We're underdogs for this game no doubt about it– we were expected to win the first two games, but not this one.

"Do we expect to win it? I expect to win it. It might be a bold statement, but I expect to win it. I believe it to happen; I just need the players to believe that as well

"We've to pick up six points in this competition – and I see Newry as a good place to start.

"I think if this team plays to its potential then there's six/eight points to be picked up before the end of the league campaign.

"Being able to play together isn't a technical ability, that's purely a team and belief thing. The problem for Cavan isn't physical attributes – but mental.

"You don't turn on a tap with commitment, and confidence etc, in just two months," he said.

Going into the game with Ross Carr's men, the ex-Dublin captain has a number of injuries to contend with as both Mickey Lyng and Nicholas Walsh are doubtful.

But this way give Gowna powerhouse Dermot McCabe the chance to start in centre-field after he impressed at last week's challenge game with Meath.

And he's buoyed by the fact that the college competitions have finished – allowing players to focus on their inter-county commitments

"Last Sunday was the first time that we had a panel together in daylight. It's been my first opportunity to some coaching with the panel, and that's a good indication of how frustrating it's been there for me.

"This has been a very rushed affair since the start of January because of the burnout rule and the non-collective training.

"The players are only starting to come onboard mentally, because I know that having played in three Sigersons your mind is with the college until you get knocked out."

And, he brushed off suggestions that his tenure with the Breffni Blues may be a short one saying: "I'm not immune to certain mumblings around, and after two months it's laughable really. I can understand people's mindsets – but I don't think you can point your finger at the management why Longford scored three goals, and we owned 70 per cent of possession and couldn't convert it."

cornafean

Angela Hamilton of Shercock GAA club has circulated the following appeal to Cavan GAA clubs today. I am posting it here in case some of you don't see it elsewhere.

Hi,

I am sure a number of you read about Adam Clerkin on the front page of the Anglo Celt this week.

Adam was born in May 2007 and is the only child of Sinead and Donal Clerkin.

At 18 months, Adam was diagnosed with a tumor on his lower jaw bone called a Ewing's Sarcoma.

This is a rare type of Bone cancer largely affecting teenage children. Adam is currently undergoing an intensive course of Chemotherapy to shrink the tumor in Our Ladies Hospital for Sick Children in Crumlin.

Adam will also require surgery to remove the tumor which will entail removing his jaw bone and replacing it with a bone from his leg.

This surgery is going to be performed in Childrens Hospital Boston as this type of surgery is not available in Ireland.

There has been a committee set up in Shercock to raise the money needed for Adam's Surgery and we start with a sponsored walk on Sunday, March 15th.

Already, people from all over have shown incredible generosity, considering the times we find ourselves in. But there is a long road ahead and we are asking for your help in raising the money necessary for Adam to have the operation in Boston.

There is a website now set up with more information -

www.adamclerkin.com

Or you can contact Committee chairman Peadar Mohan on 042 9669593.

I am also on the committee so if you need further information, you can email me to this address. shercock@cavan.gaa.ie

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

kind regards

Angela Hamilton
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Celt_Man

Sure I'll give this a go again...

John Brady Insurances Ltd A.C.F.L. Division 3 Round 2

Imperial Bar A.C.F.L. Division 1 Round 2
Denn v Cavan Gaels - Cavan Gaels to win a close one
Gowna v Cuchulainns - CuCu's to beat a Gowna team with tired county players
Castlerahan v Killygarry -
Lavey v Crosserlough - Lavey to beat - going by reports from last week - a poor C'lough side
Belturbet v Mullahoran - Belturbet to bounce back after last week
Ramor Utd. v Redhills - one of the ties of the round, ramor to repeat last years div 2 final win
Lacken v Ballinagh - ballinagh to improve upon last wk's performance but local derbies like this are sometimes a lottery

Cathal Brady Audi A.C.F.L. Division 2 Round 2
Cootehill v Killeshandra - I think this is gonna be very tight but we have one of our main boys back - so ourselves by 1 or 2???
Drumalee v Cavan Gaels - again a derby but you'd think Drumalee might be too much for CG, considering both CG teams are playing at same time
Drumgoon v Kingscourt - Kingscourt by a point or two
Ballyhaise v Killinkere - Ballyhaise to get things back on track by a goal or more
Drung v Drumlane - always a tight game between these two especially down in bunnoe, going for a draw
Shercock v Knockbride - Knockbride to win by 3 or 4, tierney and a lesser extend larry too much for Shercock to handle
Kill v Crosserlough - I believe Kill are still missing a few but the fact that C'lough are playing the same day and need a win in div 1 so won;t use the same players, kill by a point or two

Sat - Templeport v Shannon Gaels - not too sure about div 3 in general, both teams beaten last wk, but going for Shannon Gaels - the goals killed them last wk so if they stop them this wk, 1 or 2 point win
Munterconnacht v Butlersbridge - again a tight one, munterconnacht to make home advantage count
Corlough v Swanlinbar - good win for corlough last week but I could see Swad having too much for them this wk, Swad by 3 or 4
Cornafean v Kildallon - Killdallon to bounce back after last weeks defeat
Laragh Utd v Mountnugent - again potential cracker, both will be in the shake up for promotion if Laragh can handle Givney they'll win but I don't think they will so Mountnugent by 2
Bailieboro v Killygarry - bailieboro should win this by 5 or more
Arva v Ballymachugh - not too sure, ballymachugh haven't played yet so Arva with a game under the belt and home advantage by 2

put-it-up

il be checking in on your predictions again this week Celt Man and if you keep up your outstanding sucess rate, I'l have to look into getting you a job with Sky Sports ;D

Alot of close games at the weekend, plenty too hard to call. The fact the county players are in action the night before will have a big affect on teams such as Gowna.

Also the club teams, whose second string are in action will find life a lot more diifficult too this weekend! Glad we got thrown against Killygarry's this week. The Gaels will be stretched too, especially with there injuries and county players in action.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 06, 2009, 03:05:29 PM

Castlerahan v Killygarry -
Lavey v Crosserlough - Lavey to beat - going by reports from last week - a poor C'lough side
Ramor Utd. v Redhills - one of the ties of the round, ramor to repeat last years div 2 final win
Lacken v Ballinagh - ballinagh to improve upon last wk's performance but local derbies like this are sometimes a lottery

Cootehill v Killeshandra - I think this is gonna be very tight but we have one of our main boys back - so ourselves by 1 or 2???

Drumalee v Cavan Gaels - again a derby but you'd think Drumalee might be too much for CG, considering both CG teams are playing at same time
Ballyhaise v Killinkere - Ballyhaise to get things back on track by a goal or more
Drung v Drumlane - always a tight game between these two especially down in bunnoe, going for a draw
Shercock v Knockbride - Knockbride to win by 3 or 4, tierney and a lesser extend larry too much for Shercock to handle
Kill v Crosserlough - I believe Kill are still missing a few but the fact that C'lough are playing the same day and need a win in div 1 so won;t use the same players, kill by a point or two

Sat - Templeport v Shannon Gaels - not too sure about div 3 in general, both teams beaten last wk, but going for Shannon Gaels - the goals killed them last wk so if they stop them this wk, 1 or 2 point win
Munterconnacht v Butlersbridge - again a tight one, munterconnacht to make home advantage count
Corlough v Swanlinbar - good win for corlough last week but I could see Swad having too much for them this wk, Swad by 3 or 4
Laragh Utd v Mountnugent - again potential cracker, both will be in the shake up for promotion if Laragh can handle Givney they'll win but I don't think they will so Mountnugent by 2
Arva v Ballymachugh - not too sure, ballymachugh haven't played yet so Arva with a game under the belt and home advantage by 2

Having seen both clubs on the opening weekend Celt Man I'd have to disagree. You'll definitely have to tighten up around the half back line to stop the leaguers overlapping half-backs and midfiled.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on March 06, 2009, 08:29:13 PM

Castlerahan v Killygarry - forgot this one originally coz I was coming back to it - still not sure, maybe Castlerahan to shade it but tiredness of county boys could be for a big factor in last 10 mins

Having seen both clubs on the opening weekend Celt Man I'd have to disagree. You'll definitely have to tighten up around the half back line to stop the leaguers overlapping half-backs and midfiled.

Now in fairness, you'd hardly expect me to come out and say Killeshandra are gonna give us a kicking, they beat us last year in the league by 3 and we beat them in the champo by 2 or 3 so I'll say it'll be tight, so in a tight game where I come be playing, I'll always back ourselves otherwise there would be no point in playing

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 06, 2009, 10:31:42 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on March 06, 2009, 08:29:13 PM

Castlerahan v Killygarry - forgot this one originally coz I was coming back to it - still not sure, maybe Castlerahan to shade it but tiredness of county boys could be for a big factor in last 10 mins

Now in fairness, you'd hardly expect me to come out and say Killeshandra are gonna give us a kicking, they beat us last year in the league by 3 and we beat them in the champo by 2 or 3 so I'll say it'll be tight, so in a tight game where I come be playing, I'll always back ourselves otherwise there would be no point in playing
Steady on Celt Man. I appreciate your point completely. I was just offering my unbiased, informed (based on seeing both teams) opinion. Maybe just skip your games as you did quite well with last weeks efforts.

put-it-up

Any confirmed starting fifteen for tonight? Or is Carr keeping it all under wraps?

jimjim

Castlerahan v Killygarry - Draw
Lavey v Crosserlough - Lavey by 2
Belturbet v Mullahoran - Mullahorn by 3
Ramor Utd. v Redhills - Ramor by 2
Lacken v Ballinagh - Draw

Cootehill v Killeshandra - Draw
Drumalee v Cavan Gaels - Drumalee by 3
Drumgoon v Kingscourt - Kingscourt by 3
Ballyhaise v Killinkere - Ballyhaise by 3
Drung v Drumlane - Drumlan by 2
Shercock v Knockbride - Knockbride by 2
Kill v Crosserlough - Crosserlough by 1
Sat - Templeport v Shannon Gaels - Draw
Munterconnacht v Butlersbridge - Bridge by 3
Corlough v Swanlinbar -  Swad by 5
Cornafean v Kildallon - Killdallon by 3
Laragh Utd v Mountnugent - Laragh by 3
Bailieboro v Killygarry - Baileboro by 5
Arva v Ballymachugh - Ballymachugh by 2/3

See how I get on!!!!

Celt_Man

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on March 07, 2009, 10:08:28 AM

Steady on Celt Man. I appreciate your point completely. I was just offering my unbiased, informed (based on seeing both teams) opinion. Maybe just skip your games as you did quite well with last weeks efforts.

Sorry lost the run of myself there, auld blood was up from training!! Lovely day for a match!!

anglocelt39

Two points up at half time but sounds like we are playing with a fairly strong wind, Coulter not playing for Down, two yellow cards, including Mulvey on our side. Get the impression that Sheridan and Hannon are steady in the full back line. Larry in for Pierson, Lyng off injured. Improved performance, will it be enough, who knows
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds